This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Pokemon games in general

#1LokiHero2Posted 3/1/2013 1:47:13 PM
Ok I remember when I was a kid playing red/blue you could basically only level your starting pokemon(Bulbasaur/Charmander/Squirtle) and breeze through the game.

Can you do the same thing with the newer generations of Pokemon games or are you required to build a "team"?

thanks
#2NumberXIPosted 3/1/2013 1:48:04 PM
Yeah I know plenty of people that still play like that
#3UltimaZangetsuPosted 3/1/2013 1:48:19 PM
I've been able to do that for literally every game in the series.
My Samurott just solo'd the Elite Four yesterday and I didn't overlevel it at all.
So yes, it's very possible.
---
"As I walk through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother ****er in the goddamn valley!"
#4LexifoxPosted 3/1/2013 1:51:24 PM
It's possible, but it's arguably harder now.

The exp. system gives you less experience for fighting lower level Pokemon, but the Lucky Egg (item that raises experience gains) is easily obtained, if you have multiplayer you can buff your exp gain further, and trainer rematches/high exp Pokemon are available.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#5DarkKirby2500Posted 3/1/2013 2:13:26 PM(edited)
The AI in general has remains pretty poor.

In places like the Battle Tower, Frontier, etc., the AI essentially as maxed IVs and EVs, then cheats the RNG to be challenging.

It's sad because based on the Colosseum games where some trainers had clear strategies in mind (not all, but some), the game developers seem to be aware on some level of how to make the AI smarter, but choose not to.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#6KitschgardenerPosted 3/1/2013 1:53:06 PM
Also some roadblocks require you to have so many Pokémon (3 on Route 5 in B2W2, for example). But the rest can be scrubs.
#7LokiHero2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/1/2013 2:12:49 PM
That's kind of disappointing how that still works. I guess you can play it however you want to but.. I thought they would've changed that by now.
#8CakeOfLiesPosted 3/1/2013 2:20:51 PM
I went through most of SoulSilver pummeling my way through with Typhlosion and all of White 2 with my starter, Genesect.
---
http://i.imgur.com/K29ku1D.png
#9Nightbird_XPosted 3/1/2013 2:24:12 PM
LokiHero2 posted...
That's kind of disappointing how that still works. I guess you can play it however you want to but.. I thought they would've changed that by now.

No it's not. The main story should be easy; there's plenty of challenge in the post-game with things like the Battle Subway and PWT.
---
I'm told I look a lot like Rory Macdonald - http://i46.tinypic.com/2eyf5sy.jpg
Set to WARNED status for being a Republican on 11/08/2012
#10DarkKirby2500Posted 3/1/2013 2:41:12 PM(edited)
Nightbird_X posted...
LokiHero2 posted...

No it's not. The main story should be easy; there's plenty of challenge in the post-game with things like the Battle Subway and PWT.

I disagree on 3 levels. 1st, not only is the AI stupid, but the game is extremely forgiving to the player in particular, like allowing you to switch between opponents fainted Pokemon (yes I know it can be turned off).

I had made a topic a while back that the game should have a "Masters" mode that allowed you to play the game with multiplayer rules (which all NPC trainers would follow as well) to make the game more challenging, and the reward would be a symbol on your trainer's card. The game could be played normally so it's easier for people who want a casual experience (or scrubs). 2nd, as a said before the post games places like Tower and Frontier essentially have maxed IVs and EVs, then cheats the RNG to be challenging. In addition to that, 3 Pokemon teams that can't be changed is unfair because you will very likely have a chance to run into a team that you are weak to, which forces you to tier whore with the most broken Pokemon allowed. 3rd, if you think the single player is something that just gets in the way of the multiplayer, the multiplayer isn't balanced either. It's get lucky with IVs (or cheat for them), and use the most broken Pokemon, or lose a lot.

My topic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65338935

For the heck of it, my topic about IVs ruining the game competitively.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/65181981

---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>