This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Pokemon X & Y will use an Active Turn-Based battle system.

#1DarthLaharlPosted 3/1/2013 8:51:18 PM
How would you react to that news? - Results (83 votes)
Negative reaction
60.24% (50 votes)
Possitive reaction
14.46% (12 votes)
Mixed reaction
20.48% (17 votes)
It wouldn't bother me much
4.82% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'd hate it myself, I've always hated ATB especially considering this---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHIL3Su43BM

The only games that I believe used the system correctly (that I have played) are Valkyria Chronicles and Resonance Of Fate.
---
PSN: Unretributed
#2ProdozulPosted 3/1/2013 8:56:26 PM
I'd be more annoyed than anything else don't fix it if it ain't broken
#3ClassyOldHatPosted 3/1/2013 11:42:17 PM
While I'm not totally opposed to the idea, Game Freak has shown themselves to be fairly incompetent at producing at balancing Pokemon in even the simplest form of turn based combat. I'd still probably get the game to try it, but if it ended up being even less balanced, that'd probably be the last game in the series I played.
#4scraadinPosted 3/2/2013 12:41:21 AM
Final Fantasy X kind of made it work, in that they at least eliminated all the waiting.

For Pokemon, it would be absolutely horrendous. They'd have to completely rebuild the game to keep fast Pokemon from being utterly broken. I mean, anything that's fast enough to attack twice for one of its opponent's turns is a whole lot closer to impossible.

Now imagine Deoxys-S.
---
"There is no overkill. There is only "Open Fire" and "I need to reload."
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates-schlockmercenary
#5CharizardFirePosted 3/2/2013 12:45:18 AM
Final Fantasy X kind of made it work, in that they at least eliminated all the waiting.

It didn't even use ATB gauges. It used an entirely different battling system.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif
#6scraadinPosted 3/2/2013 1:08:16 AM
What it came down to was that instead of running a gauge and having only a limited time to react, it just automatically calculated who went next. I'll admit I don't know how it worked beyond that.

For a full-blown ATB system, the only game that ever made it work was Chrono Cross.
---
"There is no overkill. There is only "Open Fire" and "I need to reload."
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates-schlockmercenary
#7BumblesqueePosted 3/2/2013 1:29:53 AM
TC, that vid is exactly why I couldn't play through FFVI... maybe one day... eh.

I'd prefer it to remain turned-based, but I'd only have an outright negative reaction if it was handled awfully. Like the old FFs.
---
Nier is the best thing ever.
REAL men like RANDOM ENCOUNTERS.