This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I havn't played Pokemon since Gen 1.

#1Patriarch105Posted 3/5/2013 11:48:53 AM
I haven't played Pokemon in a very long time and was hoping for a crash course into what's changed since then.

I'm aware of a few things like Dark and Steel being added into the game and retroactively into some of the first gen pokemon.

I'm also aware of Breeding. But anything else is lost to me.

If anyone could fill me in on some of the things that have changed I'd appreciate it.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#2Meech55Posted 3/5/2013 11:49:46 AM
You'd be surprised by how little has changed. The game is essentially the exact same as it was in Gen 1 except now competitive battling is more popular.
---
I have no signature.
#3CakeOfLiesPosted 3/5/2013 11:52:03 AM
Umm...
Well, there was the physical/special split with Diamond and Pearl. Basically, types don't determine whether a move is physical or special anymore (ie: there are physical Psychic type moves and special Fighting type moves).

The Special stat is now Special Attack and Special Defense. Pretty self-explanatory.

Umm........ Abilities? Those are also self-explanatory when you see them in-game...

There are plenty more, but those three are some of the biggest.
---
http://i.imgur.com/K29ku1D.png
#4nro87Posted 3/5/2013 11:52:44 AM
TMs are reusable, physical/special split, 649 Pokémon and more coming with X/Y, abilities, natures, special stat is now split into Special Attack and Special Defense. That's all I can think of right now.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#5MoskidoPosted 3/5/2013 11:53:46 AM
nro87 posted...
TMs are reusable, physical/special split, 649 Pokémon and more coming with X/Y, abilities, natures, special stat is now split into Special Attack and Special Defense. That's all I can think of right now.

Basically it as far as major changed go.
---
FC Black 2: 2752 8681 7430
"Lebron James finally got a ring. Anything can happen now, I guess." - Myself.
#6thisguy12Posted 3/5/2013 11:54:25 AM
Charizard sucks in competitive battling now.
#7CakeOfLiesPosted 3/5/2013 11:55:11 AM
thisguy12 posted...

What's this "now" stuff?
---
http://i.imgur.com/K29ku1D.png
#8thisguy12Posted 3/5/2013 12:01:30 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
thisguy12 posted...

What's this "now" stuff?

Sorryz, ever since the creation of stealth rock.
#9UltimaZangetsuPosted 3/5/2013 12:07:46 PM
thisguy12 posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
thisguy12 posted...

What's this "now" stuff?

Sorryz, ever since the creation of Charizard.

---
"As I walk through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother ****er in the goddamn valley!"
#10pokemonfreak97Posted 3/5/2013 12:17:55 PM
UltimaZangetsu posted...
thisguy12 posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
thisguy12 posted...

What's this "now" stuff?

Sorryz, ever since the creation of Charizard.

It has been OK at points.

Gen I: "Though Ninetales and Arcanine can hope for a lucky break to defeat their enemies, Charizard is stuck against the likes of troublesome Starmie and other Water-types."

Gen II: "Charizard is a good counter (if you want to call it that) for the standard "SkarmBliss" teams. Before you just randomly bust out Charizard and let it get owned, you need to have some things on your team for it to work: dependable Water-type counters, paralysis support, and dual screens"

Gen III: "Using Charizard requires a lot of advance planning, but it's usually worth the effort."

Gen IV: "Apart from its huge Stealth Rock weakness, you probably couldn't find anything noticeably wrong with Charizard. It has decent stats with a fantastic movepool; however, the reason that Charizard is banished to the depths of NU is the fact that its sets are either outclassed by a better Pokemon or just plain ineffective in the metagame it's trying to compete in. "

Gen V: "For several generations, Charizard has been regarded as the most powerful of Pokemon...by your six-year-old neighbor. Charizard has never really been an excellent Pokemon, even plunging into the depths of NU after the introduction of Stealth Rock, which cut its health by 50% on each switch in. However, Game Freak finally took pity on its forgotten child with the new Dream World abilities in BW, granting Charizard the powerful ability Solar Power." (Yes, that's the RU analysis; it's slightly better in NU)

So, in other words, Charizard is OK, it's just not good. It can be used, generally in the lowest tier.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4