This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I havn't played Pokemon since Gen 1.

#21jayman7Posted 3/5/2013 1:40:02 PM
Patriarch105 posted...
So trading is still done locally? No online anything?

Though it was mentioned before, it was buried in the long post and may not have been obvious due to wording. Online battles and trades have been possible since the fourth gen.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#22jayman7Posted 3/5/2013 2:02:27 PM(edited)
Natures,

Every Pokemon has one, and each gives a 10% boost to one stat at the cost of a 10% penalty to another, or does nothing.

Abilities(164 of them),

Are you familiar with the concept of "support abilities" in Final Fantasy? It's like that; passive abilities that grant bonuses (or sometimes penalties) to your Pokemon.

Entry Hazards,

New moves called Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Stealth Rock, which damage a Pokemon when you switch in. No idea what they're even doing on the list, as they really fall under...

394 new moves,

Which should be self-explanatory.

Shiny pokemon,

Alternate-color Pokemon that rarely pop up. No stat difference, just there for fun.

Dream World (Hidden Abilities),

The Dream World is a website that lets you play minigames for extra Pokemon and items and stuff. Pokemon from the Dream World usually have abilities they normally wouldn't have access to.

Roaming pokemon,

An incredibly frustrating gimmick that someone at GameFreak thought was a good idea that appeared in every game from Gold/Silver through Black/White 1. Not in Black/White 2, fortunately. Basically, legendary Pokemon that run away from you and you have to keep tracking them down, until you get sick of it and Master Ball them.

Pokerus,

A rare and entirely beneficial "disease" that influences one of the hidden factors in stats.

egg moves

Breed Pokemon right, and the babies get moves they wouldn't normally have.

Baby pokemon,

Unbreedable Pokemon that evolve into breedable Pokemon; most babies evolve into something from an earlier gen. (Example: Pichu, a second-gen Pokemon, is the baby form of Pikachu, a first-gen.)

weather conditions,

Certain weather conditions (which can be put in place by the game engine, certain moves, or certain abilities) that influence various things, like Rain boosting Water, weakening Fire, and making Thunder 100% accurate.

rotation battles,

Battles with free switching, sort of, but only among the three Pokemon at the top of your party.

Pokeblocks,

Yeah, this hasn't been in the games since the third gen and is unlikely to come back.

Seasons,

Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter, which influences the Pokemon appearance ratio and little else.

Battle Tower, Battle Frontier, Battle Subway,

These are all essentially the same thing. Long story short: places you fight for prizes.

Pokeathalon,

Only in Heart Gold/Soul Silver, unlikely to come back.

Pokemon Musical,

A minigame in the fifth-gen games, and also unlikely to come back.

New variants of Pokeballs,

What's not self-explanatory about this?

Can register more than one item,

I'm surprised he thought this was significant enough to list. >_> You can "register" items for quick access.

Form differences,

Some Pokemon have alternate forms (or "formes" as GameFreak sometimes spells it), which often have stat differences and other such stuff.

A region NOT based on japan,

Seriously, why is this is on the list?

Wonder Launcher,

Long story short: use items in battle with other players. Sort of. Kind of.

(Ran out of space for a single post)
---
#23jayman7Posted 3/5/2013 2:01:44 PM
Pokeradar,

Hey, look, it's something else not likely to return! In the fourth-gen games, you used the Pokeradar to sniff out rare Pokemon.

Pokegear,

And another! Basically it's an in-game phone. The fifth gen games use the Xtransceiver, which is also essentially an in-game phone.

Global terminal,

Trade with random people online!

Pokemon World Tournament,

Probably another thing that won't return, it let you fight gym leaders and champions from other games in BW2.

Pokestar Studios,

And yet another thing that likely won't return, a movie-making minigame in BW2.

The C-gear,

Something that eats up your touch screen for little practical purpose unless you're playing near other people, in which case it can be used for local communication of a different sort than the people in the Pokemon Centers.

Certain pokemon can fuse,

By "certain Pokemon", they (at present) mean "one can fuse with your choice of two others, and only in BW2 so far". I don't expect that fusion will ever become common; right now it's limited only to Kyurem merging with either Reshiram or Zekrom.

Memory Link,

Have I mentioned that some of these things are unlikely to return? In BW2, link with BW1 for some alterations to the plot and stuff. It will take information about your BW1 game (like the name of your BW1 protagonist) to mention here and there.

Poke Transfer,

The system that lets you transfer Pokemon from the fourth gen to the fifth. Not saying that this one is going to be scrapped, but they'll probably call it something else.

Though sexual dimorphism wasn't that in existence back in first gen with Nidoking/Queen?

Technically, but those were considered two separate Pokemon in the Pokedex. Most sexual dimorphism is more subtle anyway - for instance, female Pikachus have a slightly differently-shaped tail.

Storage 720. How many exist?

649 at present. And the storage increases every gen, always to be more than the number of existing Pokemon.
---
#24Patriarch105(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 3:11:53 PM(edited)
jayman7 posted...
Natures,

Every Pokemon has one, and each gives a 10% boost to one stat at the cost of a 10% penalty to another, or does nothing.

Can register more than one item,

I'm surprised he thought this was significant enough to list. >_> You can "register" items for quick access.

A region NOT based on japan,

Seriously, why is this is on the list?

I appreciate the info. But these things I was wondering if there was more detail.

Natures: Is that emotional or natural in the story side of it? What does Nature mean in that context? The scorpion will always poison the frog?

item Register: what does quick access allow? a turn not being taken up by item use?

Region not in Japan: What region.

Thanks for everything you've mentioned it's been a big help.
---
Please say WHY you added me if you do add me or I will ignore you. PSN: Stryker105
#25ThatKippPosted 3/5/2013 3:12:48 PM
Natures do not affect anything other than stats, but it supposed to be how they act. For example, a Pokemon can have a Jolly nature.
(There is one exception but it's only in one place in a game from a while ago: The Battle Palace in Pokemon Emerald.)

Item Register: You just don't have to rummage through your bag to use an item. Registered items and screens can only be used outside of battle.

Region not in Japan: New York City

Pokeball Variants: Almost anything. One ball works better on Water- and Bug-types, another works best while fishing, another works best while battling in the dark, and yet another gets more effective the longer the battle goes on.
---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X board+Only member of my one-man team
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#26mustardpi314Posted 3/5/2013 3:12:55 PM
Patriarch105 posted...
Natures: Is that emotional or natural in the story side of it? What does Nature mean in that context? The scorpion will always poison the frog?

Natures affect stats by increasing one stat by 10% and reducing another by 10%. For example, a Jolly nature increases Speed while decreasing Special Attack.
---
Official Ninetales of the Pokemon X and Y boards
PokeDoc: http://tinyurl.com/mustardpi314
#27jayman7Posted 3/5/2013 5:45:06 PM
To explain the region thing: every region the main games take place in is (loosely) based on a real-world location. The regions in the first four generations were based on areas in Japan, while the Unova region in the fifth gen is based on New York City. We only have limited information about Pokemon X and Y at present, but it appears to be based on at least the Paris region - and maybe more of France, but it's hard to say.
---