This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is so competitive about a controlled environment?

#1EnzanChaudPosted 3/6/2013 1:25:27 AM
Competition is when two people's souls clash. When they go out on the field after all their hard work and show whose the better one. Yet, whenever I go online when I see a new game, people go on a clamor about Pokemon Showdown or Smogon rules.

It's like those kids who play Yu-gi-oh tournaments through the GBA divisions a while back. Sure they could have gone through the game and try and get lucky at getting a few cards that you might have needed, but you're just going to use the numbers in the cheats section of cards to spit out copies from that ingame machine thing. Meanwhile a real Yugioh player that has money, time, and luck is buying booster packs, trading, and actually going out to meet new people and building many decks, taking time and care to sort through each one, testing it, and updating their arsenal. They may use cues from the Game players because they have access to the theory, but they're not going to always get what they need and may improvise, and it may work out for them.

The reason why Pokemon isn't as popular probably is because people are taking this numbers game thing just a little too far. Sure, Pokemon Showdown is fine IN THEORY. That's all it is. Theory. I still EV Train and breed IVS and Natures, and I trade these almost perfect babies on the GTS to people who want them, but this "sit down on your butt and make up rules about something that took a team of people several years to perfect for millions of you little ungrateful jerks to have fun with on something other than the actual game" has been THE worst thing to happen to Pokemon.

I admit, It's done wonders for the theory of competitive battling, but none of you are actually being competitive.... You're just a bunch of scientists in Lab coats sitting at the computer thinking you're being competitive by cooperating to create most controlled and sterile environment for your Garchomps to Outrage on each other. It's like thinking you're a hardcore gamer. There's nothing hardcore about gaming. You've just experienced playing more games than most people. That's about it. Do you call a person who has listened to 30 hours of music a week a hardcore musical...consumer...person? Or it's like the difference between MMA and Boxing or Taekwondo. in Boxing and Taekwondo, there's set patterns of movements and rules that are agreed upon worldwide.But you get into a street brawl, and you have to move quick and jagged, and none of your moves are going to be perfect. Life isn't perfect. Competition isn't perfect. Pokemon isn't perfect.
#2wufei8706Posted 3/6/2013 1:28:15 AM
tl;dr

Sorry I read first paragraph and saw it went to an essay. So can you summarize for a guy on a phone?
---
http://i45.tinypic.com/4sl82r.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Uu5mm.png
#3darkdragongirlPosted 3/6/2013 1:28:41 AM
Play randoms on Showdown. It is fun nonsense.

I always try to talk to my opponents.

Not everything is as serious as it looks depending on who you're with.

I joke a lot on Showdown. Especially when I get a half mono team against a team that is SE.
---
I shot ChackNorris, but I did not shoot the deputy
#4darkdragongirlPosted 3/6/2013 1:30:38 AM
Oh and I would say that hardcore players are competitive.

You can't beat them unless you're also competitive. Which means being good. Which means understanding game mechanics that Gamefreak purposely put in.
---
#5DBF__Posted 3/6/2013 1:30:47 AM
Stopped reading when you said yugioh is more popular than pokemon

make a new account and try again
---
http://i.imgur.com/UXIXtEL.gif
#6UltimaZangetsuPosted 3/6/2013 1:31:39 AM
I played for the lulz when I was on Online.
Heck, a group of friends just wanted to make goofy teams and see how well we could do in tournaments.
---
"As I walk through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother ****er in the goddamn valley!"
#7CM_PonchPosted 3/6/2013 1:32:47 AM
Yugioh player that has money, time, and luck is buying booster packs

Wut? Competitive Yugioh players buy singles.
---
http://i.minus.com/ibaA0poozfqtmX.gif
http://i.imgur.com/0Ccy1.png
#8EnzanChaud(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 1:34:36 AM
DBF__ posted...
Stopped reading when you said yugioh is more popular than pokemon

make a new account and try again

When did I say those exact words or imply such a thing in my post? Please quote me. I am using it as a secondary example, nothing more, Regular.
#9darkdragongirlPosted 3/6/2013 1:37:12 AM
Y'know what guys, I'll start the letter.

Dear, Gamefackas

-blam!- natures, -blam!- abilities, -blam!- EVs and IVs, and -blam!- hidden power.

Please, go back to before the special split. Bring back DV, remove abilities and natures, and hazards, and weather, and make hyper beam, and fissure the best moves.

Sincerely,
DDG

P.S. have a nice day when you're bankrupt from all these bad ideas.
---
#10EnzanChaud(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2013 1:38:51 AM
CM_Ponch posted...
Yugioh player that has money, time, and luck is buying booster packs

Wut? Competitive Yugioh players buy singles.

Not every player of card games buys singles. My friend was really good at MTG, however he was only good because he had tons of luck at booster packs. He told me to buy one for him one day and pick it out, so I did. It was a DarkSteel Colossus. Just earlier that day he got another one of them from a Booster Pack. Later he traded and payed for a third single, but it was much cheaper to just get the first two going in virgin on our first try. I've had this same kind of luck for a long while now, so...while I understand the appeal of singles, I think at times it's a waste of money.