This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Never really played any Gen 3 game... did I miss anything?

#1SoulAssassin226Posted 3/7/2013 10:28:28 AM
As a non-competitive player (I mostly just stick to playing the in-game story), is there anything about the Gen 3 games (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald) that make them stand out in your opinions?

I just never got into any of the Gen 3 Pokemon games. I feel like they have the worse designs when it comes to the starter Pokemon. I mean the final form of Torchic is a humanoid, fighting chicken... thing? Really? And Swampert has always looked pretty derpy to me. It also seems to me like the amount of legendaries got a bit out of hand with those games, although I do like the designs for Kyogre, Groudon, and especially Rayquaza.

I'm just wondering, was that gen really as "meh" as I feel or was I just blinded by the "peak" of Pokemon with Gold/Silver? I was obsessed with Red/Blue/Yellow as a kid and being able to go back to Kanto and face off against Red for the first time was easily my favorite moment in any Pokemon game. I remember being extremely disappointed to find out you couldn't go to any other regions in the Gen 3 games.

So how does everyone else feel about that generation of Pokemon?
#2NessEggmanPosted 3/7/2013 10:33:14 AM
Did you play gen4/gen5? Did you like those?

Also Gen 3 improved on the game GREATLY. There were a lot of new game mechanics that made the battles a lot better and more strategic... it's where the competitive scene really took off. The games had much improved graphics and stuff... the story and world were more interesting IMO (well, the story was stupid, but the method of telling it was better...), the towns had more variety, there were a ton of new Pokemon (many of which were very cool... it seems like you only looked at the starters...)

There was also the contest circuit which was really fun and intersting when it was new, cool stuff like Battle Frontier, etc etc etc

To me, it sounds like the only reason you didn't like Gen 3 was because you refused to give it an honest try. You hated it before you even started and then it made you unable to enjoy it for what it was... So I would try it again with a more positive attitude and open mind and you may find you really like it!

Though if you've already played 4/5 and liked them, Gen 3 may seem a little lackluster.
---
http://reddragonranch.blogspot.com
The Legend of Red Dragon Ranch - KICKSTARTER now LIVE!!
#3vital_tundraPosted 3/7/2013 10:36:23 AM
Technically if you played a gen 4 or 5 game you didn't actually miss out on anything because they are technically superior.
---
I wish Blastoise was my dad. He wouldn't beat my mom like what her boyfriend, Johnny does. If Blastoise was my dad things would be different around here.
#4Gray_AreasPosted 3/7/2013 10:40:13 AM
Gen 3 honestly holds the most fond memories for me. And I started back when Red and Blue came out. But honestly Emerald is tied for best overall Pokemon for me (tied with Platinum btw). The post game in Emerald was fantastic. And it was the first game to really introduce a climactic battle of legendaries. The only problem I ever had with it was the Champion. Changing the Champion from Ruby and Sapphire was a TERRIBLE idea. Especially considering who replaced him. :/ Though the starters may bother you, Blaziken and Swampert are both very good Pokemon. Sceptile just looks cooler. I say try finding Emerald. It's got a great post game. That was the best Battle Frontier in the series by far.

TL;DR I say try Gen 3 (Specifically Emerald) if you can find a cheap copy.
---
White FC: 4727 7422 4019
Platinum FC: 2063 5286 9480
#5NessEggmanPosted 3/7/2013 10:41:05 AM
vital_tundra posted...
Technically if you played a gen 4 or 5 game you didn't actually miss out on anything because they are technically superior.

This is not logical.

You can "miss out" on something that's inferior.

He missed original contest circuit.
He missed Hoenn region.
He missed all the Hoenn sidequests like the Regi discoveries.
He missed all the characters from Hoenn.
He missed Battle Frontier.
etc etc etc

Those things are still being missed out on.

So "technically" he did miss out on a lot. :\

And "technically superior" in this case is an oxymoron, since "superior" is subjective and "technically" is objective. Unless you mean it quite literally in which the technology used to produce them was more advanced, in which you are suggesting that one wait until all Pokemon games have been created and none will ever be created again (or until one is about to die and will not be able to experience any Pokemon games in the future), and then just play the most recent one, because you will have the same experience as playing the entire series.

... You can probably see where even that is flawed...
---
http://reddragonranch.blogspot.com
The Legend of Red Dragon Ranch - KICKSTARTER now LIVE!!
#6SoulAssassin226(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 11:08:01 AM
To me, it sounds like the only reason you didn't like Gen 3 was because you refused to give it an honest try. You hated it before you even started and then it made you unable to enjoy it for what it was... So I would try it again with a more positive attitude and open mind and you may find you really like it!

I won't deny for a second that that may indeed be the case lol. That's why I'm wondering if other people really enjoyed them and I was just being closed-minded or if they really were lackluster at the time. Maybe I just started thinking that Pokemon was too "kiddy" for me back then like a lot of idiot teenagers so I never gave it a chance lol.

I did get back into Pokemon with Diamond/Pearl/Platinum but haven't played Black/White or the sequels yet. I have looked through the Gen 3 Pokemon as running into some of them in DPP got me curious about them so I know Gen 3 had some cool Pokemon. Milotic has become one of my favorites but I do feel it has the worse designed Pokemon overall. I mean, Nosepass looks absolutely ridiculous lol.

I may retry going through the game if they give it the FireRed/LeafGreen, HeartGold/SoulSilver treatment as unfortunately I no longer have a DS Lite or any Gameboy to play GBA games, just a DSi and 3DS. I never did get Black/White but seeing the trailer for X/Y got me excited for a new game and I was wondering if I missed out by skipping Gen 3.
#7GastroidPosted 3/7/2013 11:22:25 AM
There was Scott in Emerald, and Scott was awesome. So yeah, you missed Scott. And Scott misses you. :c
---
Achilles Mark IV Mechroid
Horseman of the Apocalypse - War
#8wackyteenPosted 3/7/2013 11:23:26 AM
At the very least, play Colosseum.

Or, at the very very least, play XD: Gale of Darkness.
---
The name is wackyteen for a reason. Never doubt.
#9FuneralCakePosted 3/7/2013 11:29:07 AM
You really didn't miss anything at all. The games are as "meh" as you think they are, but not for the reasons you listed.

FRLG were decently fun, but just stay as far away as possible from the other gen 3 games.
---
STOP CALLING ME HOME ROWED
i've got too many devils
#10GiftedACIIIPosted 3/7/2013 11:33:11 AM
Yeah, kinda. Emerald>=hgss>>>>1st gen>>2nd gen games so if you thought any of those were great then you should definitely try out emerald.