This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Team vs Gang. Which sounds better for the villainous groups in Pokemon? Poll.

#1DarkKirby2500Posted 3/7/2013 3:35:13 PM
Which sounds better for the villainous groups in Pokemon? - Results (32 votes)
Team
71.88% (23 votes)
Gang
28.13% (9 votes)
This poll is now closed.
In Japan, where the game originates, all the villainous groups in Pokemon are "Gangs" instead of "Teams".

Example.

Rocket Gang instead of Team Rocket.

I assume "Gang" was used to emphasize their villain status and general behavior.

I also assume when the games were localized it was renamed "Team" because "Gang" was considered less child friendly.

But this topic is about which you think sounds better/cooler etc..
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#2WindyligthPosted 3/7/2013 3:43:12 PM
inb4gangtopics
---
I am here to promote the discussion and appreciation of Fennekin.
#3DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 10:06:57 AM(edited)
Rocket's activities were certainly in line with a gang. Full acceptance of themselves as mafia like villains.

Aqua and Magma both though of themselves are the heroes, but they dressed and acted like a gang. Gang war.

Galaxy Gang just had a better sound to it then Team Galactic in my opinion. They also thought of themselves as heroes doing the necessary evil to make the world better.

Plasma is PETA, the evilest of them all (at least the members thought that was the point). But seeing as most of the Plasma members thought of themselves as saviors of Pokemon, kind of find it hard they wouldn't find it strange to call themselves a gang. Nor did they dress like a gang, they dressed like strereotype Japanese thieves. In this case it would make the most sense that they just didn't have Gang or Team on their name, just be called "Plasma".

I would agree that the word "Team" sounds better then "Gang", but perhaps that is because "Team" is a neutral word and Gang is often associated with bad people giving it a negative stigma.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#4KitschgardenerPosted 3/8/2013 10:15:30 AM
In Japan, where the game originates, all the villainous groups in Pokemon are "Gangs" instead of "Teams".

Example.

Rocket Gang instead of Team Rocket.

I assume "Gang" was used to emphasize their villain status and general behavior.

I also assume when the games were localized it was renamed "Team" because "Gang" was considered less child friendly.

In Japan they're called dan (Romaji). "Gang" is just one possible translation of the word - the localisers chose "team" just because it could be translated as such, i.e. they didn't "change" anything.
#5DarkKirby2500(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 10:17:36 AM
Kitschgardener posted...

In Japan they're called dan (Romaji). "Gang" is just one possible translation of the word - the localisers chose "team" just because it could be translated as such, i.e. they didn't "change" anything.

They actually just say "Gang" in English in the Japanese version of the anime.
---
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#6KitschgardenerPosted 3/8/2013 10:32:00 AM
They actually just say "Gang" in English in the Japanese version of the anime.

Really? I recall hearing "Rocket-dan", at least. In that case, I'd attribute "gang" to Engrish or something.
#7-Zeke-Posted 3/8/2013 10:47:39 AM
There should be a new team called Team Bang
---
"Official Toy Scraggy of the Pokemon Rumble U board"
3DS code: 1118-1052-2607 (PM me if you add me)
#8DoctorJimmy133Posted 3/8/2013 10:50:20 AM
-Zeke- posted...

The Bang Gang? But that doesn't make any sense…
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#9WhenZebrasgobadPosted 3/8/2013 10:53:03 AM
'Minorities' That way you instantly get a feeling of danger when you read it.
---
orc
#10-Zeke-Posted 3/8/2013 10:53:49 AM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
-Zeke- posted...

The Bang Gang? But that doesn't make any sense…

*smirks*
---
"Official Toy Scraggy of the Pokemon Rumble U board"
3DS code: 1118-1052-2607 (PM me if you add me)