This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My idea for a Houndoom evolution: Hounderus/Houndirge

#1CenedarprimePosted 3/8/2013 12:44:50 PM
This is my first attempt at taking an established Pokemon and giving it a fan-made evo with hopefully balanced stats. I wanted it to push on psuedo-legendary territory without necessarily meeting it. I guess I'll leave it up to you to decide. Be kind but don't be afraid of constructive criticism. Emphasis on CONSTRUCTIVE.

For comparison's sake, here's Houndoom:

Houndoom
Dark/Fire
Ability: Flash Fire/Early Bird (Unnerve in DW)
HP: 75
Atk: 90
Def: 50
Sp. Atk: 110
SDef: 80
Speed: 95
BST: 500

And now, for his evolution, to be named either Hounderus or Houndirge.

Hounderus/Houndirge
Dark/Fire
Ability: Flash Fire/Flame Body (Sheer Force in DW)
HP: 100
Atk: 75
Def: 70
Sp. Atk: 130
SDef: 90
Speed: 105
BST: 570

I feel this is balanced because it gives Houndirge/berus more potential as a special sweeper with additional bulk, sacrificing some physical attack and therefore its effectiveness with moves like Crunch and, more importantly, Sucker Punch. Dark and Fire make a potent offensive combo, making it a Dragon Pokemon's best friend with its ability to roast many steel types. It also gains SE coverage on both Ferrothorn AND Jellicent with its STAB, meaning many will want to run this Pokemon just to cover those threats.

Houndirge/berus reaches a base stat total of 570, placing it 30 points beneath Pokemon considered to be 'psuedo-legendary' (a la Tyranitar, Metagross, Garchomp, etc.) and 20 points above Volcarona's BST. In exchange for a smaller BST, Volcarona gets access to the far superior boosting move in Quiver Dance, while Houndirge/berus is stuck with either Nasty Plot or Calm Mind.

I wanted to make this Pokemon a special sweeper because I feel like the current metagame is very much rooted in physical offense, with powerful Fighting types like Conkeldurr and Terrakion trouncing whole teams and thereby making a dangerous environment for special walls that aren't as bulky on the physical side. Bear in mind, Houndirge has no seriously reliable way of getting past Blissey or Chansey still, even with a powerful Fighting special move (more on that next).

To cement Houndirge/berus as a Pokemon that, while not legendary or uber, is certainly not to be trifled with I decided to give it Aura Sphere as its final level-up move. It gives it a reliable way to check Dark types, especially Tyranitar who can come in, set up endless sandstorm to boost its special defense and wall the hound's STAB eight ways to Sunday.

Despite all this, Houndoom can still be revenge-killed as it has no real means of increasing its speed outside of Choice Scarf or the odd Baton Passer gift. It will still struggle against bulky/faster Water types and Earthquake is still a looming threat, in addition to Fighting type priority coming off the likes of Conkeldurr and Breloom.

As for design, I think it would be awesome for Houndirge/berus to have the three heads inspired by Cerberus, with the white "bone" elements along its spine expanded onto its faces to make helms of "bone armor".

So, what do you guys think? Good, awful? Ways it can be improved?
---
PKMN Black 2 FC: 4084-3329-2441
"Allons-y!"
#2TacoOfTheOperaPosted 3/8/2013 12:54:59 PM
570 is mad powerful
---
Now in your absence I wade, Through the coursing, lonely, lost
And in this tragic dismay, I never could believe what I became
#3Cenedarprime(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 6:18:38 PM
TacoOfTheOpera posted...
570 is mad powerful

True, but strangely I'm OK with it. :)

Houndoom was far from a weak Pokemon to begin with. While not top tier, it had decent special attack and a good STAB combo. I figured, why not run with it? Still gets stomped by those oh-so-special BST 600 critters though.
---
PKMN Black 2 FC: 4084-3329-2441
"Allons-y!"
#4-Zeke-Posted 3/8/2013 6:19:27 PM
Houndoomed
---
"Official Toy Scraggy of the Pokemon Rumble U board"
3DS code: 1118-1052-2607 (PM me if you add me)
#5MugilokoPosted 3/8/2013 6:19:38 PM
Houdoomon.
---
B1 FC:1807-8830-3725 "Squids are evil!" http://i.imgur.com/ayRpQlZ.png
Official Zoroark of the Pokemon XY board
#6reaverzPosted 3/8/2013 6:36:43 PM
-Zeke- posted...
Houndoomed

---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#7ThatKippPosted 3/8/2013 6:38:30 PM
-Zeke- posted...
Houndoomed

---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X board+Only member of my one-man team
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#8taexPosted 3/8/2013 6:40:55 PM
Houndeath - the hound of death, or at least the hound of fainting.
---
Mmm... Pies...