This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

In terms of Mewtwo, Gen 1 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2

#11MetaFalconPunchPosted 3/10/2013 6:28:17 PM
Arcanine2009 posted...
I agree completely. Though didn't Mewtwo learn shadowball in gen 2 via TM?

Agreeing with who? Me?
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
Shadow Jolteon of Team Miror Infinity
#12ice_phoenix_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/10/2013 6:32:12 PM
Arcanine2009 posted...
I agree completely. Though didn't Mewtwo learn shadowball in gen 2 via TM?

Yes but it was physical in 2 and 3
---
~yay_meh~
I freeze people then I melt them into water and drink them. <3
#13DragonNinja1337Posted 3/11/2013 4:41:49 AM
In terms of Mewtwo, Gen 1 > 3 > 5 > 4 > 2

In Generation IV, the introduction of the item Choice Scarf, as well as a dramatic increase in the use of priority moves (only Rayquaza and Deoxys-A commonly used used priority moves in Advance Ubers, and even then ExtremeSpeed wasn't too commonly used), especially in the form of Extreme Killer Arceus, were a massive blow to Mewtwo's effectiveness in the Übers metagame. Not even the introduction of the incredibly useful Psystrike in Generation V, which greatly heightened Mewtwo's effectiveness, was enough to make up for this.

Mewtwo was incredibly dangerous in Generations I and III because it was an incredibly powerful sweeper than outran most of the metagame and could switch attacks (unlike Choice Scarf holders in Generation IV and V) and boost with Amnesia/Calm Mind. In those generations, it was almost unheard of for a Pokémon to get the chance to attack before a non-paralyzed Mewtwo. This fact made it unbelievably deadly, as after a boost or two, it could outrun and KO most of the opposition's team in one hit if it wasn't met with significant resistance. But that was a world of a difference from the Mewtwo of Generations IV and V. It is true that Mewtwo can now destroy Chansey/Blissey with Psystrike, which is a great advantage over its past self, but all it takes to stop a Mewtwo sweep nowadays is to send out a Choice Scarf dragon with Outrage, a Choice Scarf Kyogre/Reshiram, a Choice Scarf Genesect with U-turn, or Shadow Sneak it with Giratina-O/ExtremeSpeed it with Arceus-Normal after it's been weakened while setting up or by Life Orb recoil.
---
The Ultimate Pokemon Master to have ever walked beneath the stars
#14ice_phoenix_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 9:46:29 AM
DragonNinja1337 posted...
In terms of Mewtwo, Gen 1 > 3 > 5 > 4 > 2

In Generation IV, the introduction of the item Choice Scarf, as well as a dramatic increase in the use of priority moves (only Rayquaza and Deoxys-A commonly used used priority moves in Advance Ubers, and even then ExtremeSpeed wasn't too commonly used), especially in the form of Extreme Killer Arceus, were a massive blow to Mewtwo's effectiveness in the Übers metagame. Not even the introduction of the incredibly useful Psystrike in Generation V, which greatly heightened Mewtwo's effectiveness, was enough to make up for this.

Mewtwo was incredibly dangerous in Generations I and III because it was an incredibly powerful sweeper than outran most of the metagame and could switch attacks (unlike Choice Scarf holders in Generation IV and V) and boost with Amnesia/Calm Mind. In those generations, it was almost unheard of for a Pokémon to get the chance to attack before a non-paralyzed Mewtwo. This fact made it unbelievably deadly, as after a boost or two, it could outrun and KO most of the opposition's team in one hit if it wasn't met with significant resistance. But that was a world of a difference from the Mewtwo of Generations IV and V. It is true that Mewtwo can now destroy Chansey/Blissey with Psystrike, which is a great advantage over its past self, but all it takes to stop a Mewtwo sweep nowadays is to send out a Choice Scarf dragon with Outrage, a Choice Scarf Kyogre/Reshiram, a Choice Scarf Genesect with U-turn, or Shadow Sneak it with Giratina-O/ExtremeSpeed it with Arceus-Normal after it's been weakened while setting up or by Life Orb recoil.

You do bring up a great argument

Damn Choice Scarf....
---
~yay_meh~
I freeze people then I melt them into water and drink them. <3