This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sylveon Type

#1DerpeonPosted 3/11/2013 4:56:38 PM
I personally think Sylveon will be Bug, but I'd like to start off with what types Sylveon won't be.

I think it's safe to rule out Ground, Rock, Steel, and any type that's already been used for an Eeveelution (Water, Electric, Fire, Dark, Psychic, Grass and Ice).

Why it won't be Poison type:

Does that thing really look venemous to you?

Why it won't be Fighting type:

...Seriously. Why would a Pokemon so pink and fluffy and girly be Fighting?

Why it won't be Ghost:

...Just what?

Why it won't be Normal:

This is actually the most plausible theory in my opinion other than Bug. I mean, it has that same pink cutesy thing going on that a lot of other normal types have. But, you'd think a Normal type Eeveelution would look a lot more like Eevee, with the same color scheme and all. Why would Eevee change so drastically from brown to pink and stayed Normal? Also, a Normal type Eeveelution would just be plain boring and very anti-climactic.

Why it won't be Flying:

This is by far the most popularly speculated type, but honestly I think it's just as ridiculous as Fighting or Ghost. First of all...IT DOESN'T HAVE WINGS. And I really can't picture it taking to the skies with...ribbons.

"But it's ribbons flow in the wind in the trailers!"

1. What are the ribbons supposed to do? Just sit there?
2. So does Fennekin's ear fur, so obviously Fennekin is a Flying type too.

And if Sylveon's name came from Sylph, wouldn't it be Sylpheon?

Why Sylveon won't be a new type:

Come on, guys. We haven't had a new type since the second generation, and even then, Dark and Steel were added simply to iron out a few bugs, particularly the fact that Psychic was way overpowered in Generation I. 17 types is more than enough, IMO. Plus, do you know how many older Pokemon they'd have to retype if a new type were to come out? A LOT. It wasn't as big of a problem in the second generation because there were a lot less previously existing Pokemon.

Now, why I believe Sylveon will be a Bug type:

I'll get into physical features later on, but first, let's talk about names.

Sylveon may come from Parthenos Sylvia, a type of Butterfly. The French name, Nymphali, may come from Nymphalidae, the largest species of butterfly. Parthenos Sylvia is a type of Nymphalidae. The German name, Feelinara, may come from Feelina, a German board game involving butterflies.

Now, physical features. Look at dem eyes. They're huge, and bug-like. The bows look like butterflies. Let's also look at the physical features of a Nymphalidae butterfly. Nymphalidae caterpillars often have projections on the head. Sylveon similarly has two ribbons projecting out of the back of her head. Nymphalidae caterpillars are also furry, like Sylveon.

Discuss?
#2Hero_Of_RhymePosted 3/11/2013 4:58:49 PM
Magic type confirmed
---
I am Team Galactic
http://i.imgur.com/WvefuGH.jpg?1
#3naruto6795Posted 3/11/2013 4:59:02 PM
man its cOLD in here...
#4ArmandoXIIIlPosted 3/11/2013 5:00:20 PM
Dark and Steel were added simply to iron out a few bugs

Steel
iron out

oh you
---
"i had no choice to win with my skill team so i pick a scrub team, but i'm no scrub so u beat me."
Deep philosophical thinking courtesy of Jaliy82
#5DIGIRULEPosted 3/11/2013 5:00:59 PM
Does it look like... a bug to you?
---
Lemon
#6Mudkip43Posted 3/11/2013 5:01:16 PM
It's going to be flying type I'm 100% sure and if it's not I'll eat my shoe.
---
1249 6550 4063 Black 2 FC
#7jayman7Posted 3/11/2013 5:04:35 PM(edited)
Truth is, Bug was the first type that occurred to me. A "nymph" is also the immature form of an insect (the English name was unknown at the time), and those head ribbons look a lot like antennae when uncurled from Sylveon's head. Though a bit of a reach, you could even almost consider the lower set of ribbons to be a third pair of legs.

But seeing the in-game video, the only thing I could think when seeing it animated with those curled up ribbons was "Wind". Since Wind doesn't exist, that puts Flying as the next closest thing, which is why it's currently first place as most likely Sylveon type for me.

I still have Bug in second place, for what it's worth. And actually, that video from the other day showing Sylveon animated in the Sylveon short actually did have it use those head ribbons as feelers, which pushed Bug up a bit IMHO.

Third place is actually Wind - I don't see Sylveon as Normal, and none of the other existing types make an ounce of sense to me.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#8Missingno_MastrPosted 3/11/2013 5:03:35 PM
Derpeon posted...

Does Bellsprout? Or Gulpin? Or Kakuna?
---
Official badass Admin of Team Miror Infinity. I ride a Shadow Scolipede. Top that. I dare you.
#9Derpeon(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 5:05:25 PM
ArmandoXIIIl posted...
Dark and Steel were added simply to iron out a few bugs

Steel
iron out

oh you
That wasn't an intentional pun, didn't even notice until you pointed it out
#10jayman7Posted 3/11/2013 5:06:20 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
Derpeon posted...

Does Bellsprout?

Exactly how much do you know about pitcher plants?

Or Gulpin?

It's based on a stomach - that is, stomach acid.

Or Kakuna?

... Well... it's related to Weedle and Beedrill.

You'd honestly have been better off mentioning Bulbasaur...
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere