This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like we're relatable to Zilla fans

#1TyranidomegaPosted 3/11/2013 4:02:46 PM
Now for explanation: I've been in a very Godzilla mood lately, after just remembering that the reboot(which I have no doubt will be awesome) hits theatres next year. Lately, I've poked around a few Jap vs US Godzilla debates, and in a way, I sympathize for the Zilla fans. They, like us(cause I assume most of us who hang here on a NEW GEN board like/play the new Pokemon games) defend something they like that is new, opposed to how negative the 'other fans' percieve it(G fans/Genwunners). I do like both Godzillas, but I like the Japanese one alot more and acknowledge that he is superior to the American one, but yeah. TL;DR- Zilla fans remind me of us Pokemon fans who like the new Generations.
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#2LexifoxPosted 3/11/2013 4:16:04 PM
The problem is that Zilla and his films were so counter to what Godzilla the film and character actually are, and so far removed, that Tojo Studios felt the need to make it clear on several occasions that it was NOT Godzilla and to take several shots at it.

The new generations of Pokemon are not far removed from the original games at all.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#3Tyranidomega(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 4:26:32 PM
Lexifox posted...
The problem is that Zilla and his films were so counter to what Godzilla the film and character actually are, and so far removed, that Tojo Studios felt the need to make it clear on several occasions that it was NOT Godzilla and to take several shots at it.

The new generations of Pokemon are not far removed from the original games at all.

True. I guess its just me tieing in my enjoyment of the new Gens and how I've been in such a G fanish mood for the past few days. I mostly make the comparison, on the grounds of our arguements. Zilla fans say that the US Godzilla was a more realistic take on the character, and felt that it was more improved aswell. We say that they new Gens have added more to the core gameplay of this series, and how it has become more improved too.
---
Official hot fudge sundae of the IDF
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon B/W 2 Boards.
#4LexifoxPosted 3/11/2013 4:29:52 PM
Tyranidomega posted...
Lexifox posted...

True. I guess its just me tieing in my enjoyment of the new Gens and how I've been in such a G fanish mood for the past few days. I mostly make the comparison, on the grounds of our arguements. Zilla fans say that the US Godzilla was a more realistic take on the character, and felt that it was more improved aswell. We say that they new Gens have added more to the core gameplay of this series, and how it has become more improved too.

A better comparison is how Godzilla has gradually become a metaphor for mass destruction and war, and gradually became a cartoon character who laughs and dances, to a more dignified hero and protector of Japan.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#5Firelion6593Posted 3/11/2013 4:31:23 PM
Tyranidomega posted...

It'd be more of a comparison if some other studio had entirely revamped Pokemon into something that was only the slightest bit similar in only a superficial way.

Godzilla '98 totally revamped the monster. It didn't so much improve and add to the Godzilla series as make something from the ground up and call it "Godzilla."
---
Cthulu Fhtagn
#6LexifoxPosted 3/11/2013 4:34:33 PM
Firelion6593 posted...
Tyranidomega posted...

It'd be more of a comparison if some other studio had entirely revamped Pokemon into something that was only the slightest bit similar in only a superficial way.

Godzilla '98 totally revamped the monster. It didn't so much improve and add to the Godzilla series as make something from the ground up and call it "Godzilla."

So basically the sidegames that Game Freak didn't make, like Pokemon Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, etc.
---
#7Firelion6593Posted 3/11/2013 4:38:00 PM
Lexifox posted...
So basically the sidegames that Game Freak didn't make, like Pokemon Ranger, Mystery Dungeon, etc.

I think "Pokemon Dash" is a more apt analogy in this case.
---
Cthulu Fhtagn