This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What were your first impressions when you played gen 2?

#1DeathSoul2000Posted 3/16/2013 9:27:54 AM
Note - this is pretty much for people who got R/B/Y, then moved onto G/S/C when they came out. This was also (unsurprisingly) before i knew the series was a "same story, different settings/characters" series.

Me -
WHAT THE HELL? WHO IS THIS NEW TRAINER WHO LOOKS KINDA LIKE ASH/RED BUT ISN'T? AND WHAT IS HIS ACTUAL NAME?(l spent almost 2 years trying to find that out and refusing to accept "Gold" as an answer before finally giving up)
WHAT THE HELL? WHY IS THE WILD/TRAINER BATTLE MUSIC DIFFERENT?(yes this really, REALLY bugged me)
WHAT THE HELL? WHY ISN'T THE POKEDEX NUMBERED?
WHAT THE HELL? WHO IS THIS NAMELESS "RIVAL" WHO COMES OUT OF NOWHERE AND DECIDES HE'S YOUR ENEMY?
Why can trainers now turn around to catch you in their view?
YAY COLOR!
Nice, a GOOD item menu.
Ooh, the pokegear is pretty awesome.
These new pokemon look pretty cool.
Huh, genders.
I like day/night.
Nice, Pokemon Centers that aren't cramped and ugly.
I wonder what the "hidden" 251st pokemon is like? Will it be as cool/useful as Mew?

Opinions?
#2Jrx1Posted 3/16/2013 9:30:04 AM
"That dude who watches the laboratory from the side and kicks me each time is awesome!"
---
Official Arceus of the Pokemon X and Y boards
~The God of Pokemon!~
#3SuperRup91Posted 3/16/2013 9:31:32 AM
I was pretty much blown away.
Color
Sprites that didn't look like random blobs
Day/Night
So much more...
#4deathguise950Posted 3/16/2013 9:34:58 AM
I thought there was too much content and that I wouldn't be able to handle it all. lol
#5NumberXIPosted 3/16/2013 9:40:25 AM
I was in heaven! 100 new pokes-at ten years old the experience was beyond any mangasm. Day/night, scum bag rival, pokegear, Whitney. At the time I still sucked at Poke and I was on top of he world when I beat the E4 on th first try (yeah yeah I know) And to my surprise EIGHT MORE FREAKING BADGES. Good times, good times
#6AuroraSonicBeamPosted 3/16/2013 9:42:42 AM
best reaction I've had to any newly released Pokemon game
---
If you fail to get krump....nothing you do in life will succeed.- Krump King ASB
Black 2: 0820-1866-0181
#7Zarren364Posted 3/16/2013 9:42:55 AM
*inhales* HWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
---
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBC-Wargle I R - Zarren
#8NaughtyGhostPosted 3/16/2013 9:49:50 AM
First, I took home... the box. The shiny, holographic mother****ing box, with mother****ing LUGIA on it. And I was like... OH... MY... GOD...

And then.

THEN.

I OPENED. The box.

Opened it. That's what I did. And I took out... the MANUAL. And I sniffed that son of a *****. INHALED WITH ALL MY MIGHT.

Took in that new manual smell. Skimmed through the pages. Such sexy pages. I set the manual down. I reached into... the box.

I pulled out... the cartridge. That shiny, sparkly, silver cartridge. I pulled out my Pokemon Red version from the GBC, and took in a deep breath...

I slid my Pokemon Silver cartridge into the Gameboy Color. Flicked on the power switch. And I stared. My eyes widened. My heart began to race. B-bmp. B-BMP. B-BMBMBMBMBMBMBMBM

DO. Doo doo do-do. Do. Doo doo do-do. DO. Doo doo do-do. Do. Da da dananan NAAAANANAAAAAAA SHWEE DIDLYWHOOOOO

That music. THAT MUSIC. OH MY GOD. OH SAH-WEET JESUS. HERE WE GO. HERE WE GO HERE WE GO

OH MY GOD LOOK AT ALL THE STUFF HAPPENING OH MY GOD IT'S LUGIA OH MY GOD OH MY GOD

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

And then I entered the name "Mike" into the box... and the rest was history. My child self was able to play that game for two years. And I recall enjoying every moment. Nowadays I'll beat a Pokemon game in a week and get bored and not touch it again... How times have changed.
---
Do not censor my voice, or soften my unit.
They must remain loud and rigid, respectively.
#9nro87Posted 3/16/2013 9:56:37 AM
Am I the only one who was really mad at Gen 2? I hated the fact that I bought the manual and saw all 100 new Pokémon right when the games came out, but I kept running into Ratatta, Pidgey, and other Gen 1 Pokémon. I also really hated how the Gym Leaders used almost no new Pokémon. All the added content was great: colors, day/night, breeding, genders, Dark and Steel, held items, etc. However, I was really mad that a lot of the new Pokémon weren't available until the post game.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#10MightyRevenantPosted 3/16/2013 9:58:47 AM
"I want that bird! But I also want that silver dragon thing! Oh my God, the starters are cool! Oh God, it's nighttime, awesome! Hey, the girl (Yeah. Sorry.) with the red hair is mean..."

Of course, I was happy to know you could get both Ho-Oh and Lugia in the same game (I had Gold). Crystal also made me very happy when I got it.
---
Official Eviolite of the pretentious Pokemon fanbase on GameFAQs.