This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

i dont seem to fit in with other pokemon players

#1Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 3/16/2013 7:46:00 PM
i dont really know, but today i was at my game store and there were a ton of people in the back chilling out and playing pokemon. i could have gone back there and chilled with them, but i didnt. i was listening in to what they were talking about a bit, and i heard terms like EV training, competitive battling and such getting tossed around. it kind of made me feel a little warm inside to know that the competitive scene gets a bit of love. but those guys were definitely a lot more passionate about the game than i am, so i just wouldnt have felt right hanging out with them.

while they openly accept their pokemon hobby and use it as a means to socialize in a good, open environment, i on the other hand feel embarassed to even be associated with pokemon, and so i choose not to mention the fact that i play the games as competitively as i do outside of the internet. none of my friends would probably even guess that i play pokemon. i kind of made myself feel like an outcast there, unable to approach fans who enjoy the same game that i do, but only because of restrictions that i placed on myself.

so i guess i came here for some help on this matter. i know this is really random, but what should i do? should i just stay the way i am and not talk about pokemon with other pokemon players in real life?
---
imanalt.
#2The_Sol_BladerPosted 3/16/2013 7:47:26 PM
Grow a pair
---
R - Official Matador of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://oi47.tinypic.com/24bup9d.jpg
#3Mewtwo_soulPosted 3/16/2013 7:48:40 PM
The_Sol_Blader posted...
Grow a pair

This.

My friends knew I liked Pokemon day one, if they didn't like the idea I told them where they could stick it.
---
Ignoring sheep. Best solution on CoD boards.
#4UltimaZangetsuPosted 3/16/2013 7:49:12 PM
There comes a time in your life when you no longer give a damn what other people think. Usually this is around college. Everyone does everything in college. If you feel embarrassed about something like Pokemon, you're silly.
---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
#5AzurinaiPosted 3/16/2013 7:49:39 PM
Just do what you love, I personally like to share my fun with others so I tell them. I also like capitalizing "I" but maybe that's just me.
You might be able to be more competitive if you have a real life rival instead of a faceless person on the internet.
---
"Why do I check for updates when I know there's nothing there?"
#6wind64aPosted 3/16/2013 7:49:40 PM
I guess you could try to be more open about it if you think it's something worth playing. If your friends don't support you on innocent hobbys and just make fun of you, then you might want to reevaluate who you hang out with normally. Being yourself in public is a good thing.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W2 FC: 3783 7001 3142
#7wingblade98Posted 3/16/2013 7:52:13 PM
The_Sol_Blader posted...
Grow a pair

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/d/d4/Pear.jpg
---
Evil never sleeps--
it only snoozes.
#8UltimaZangetsuPosted 3/16/2013 7:53:00 PM
wingblade98 posted...
The_Sol_Blader posted...
Grow a pair

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/d/d4/Pear.jpg

http://s162.beta.photobucket.com/user/merzikain/media/dispear.jpg.html
---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
#9TIGERJACKS0NPosted 3/16/2013 7:53:08 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10Tatakai-No-Kami(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2013 7:55:27 PM
wind64a posted...
I guess you could try to be more open about it if you think it's something worth playing. If your friends don't support you on innocent hobbys and just make fun of you, then you might want to reevaluate who you hang out with normally. Being yourself in public is a good thing.

i dont think anyone would make fun of me, and i dont really care if they would. i think its more of me and my own personal view on it than worrying about what others think. and i also am not sure if i like pokemon for the same reasons as other people.

to be honest, it could be any game that im playing, not necessarily pokemon. i just like matching wits against other good players. to me, thats where the thrill comes from. i would NEVER take the time out to bother EV training or IV training like those guys, and thats kind of why i respected them for having that passion for the game when i know that i myself cant.

basically, i guess the way i saw it was because they play pokemon because they like it, while i play pokemon because its just a tool for me to play another competitive game.
---
imanalt.