This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why does everyone get so caught up with what should or shouldn't be dragon type?

#1EnferolunosPosted 3/21/2013 12:09:05 PM
80/80
Dragons are very vaguely defined and differ widely throughout mythology.
Even the things that aren't entirely dragons (such as dinosaurs) are close enough. Nobody ever gets upset about the other types.

Grass: There are only 2 pokemon with actual grass: Shaymin and Torterra. Grass just means "plant or plant related"

Fire: Only a few pokemon are actually on fire. Pokemon like Camerupt and Magcargo are magma, which is just hot rock. It's not fire at all! Fire just means "fire or hot things"

Water: Most water pokemon aren't literally made of water. They just like in water and use water moves. Water just means "wet"

Bug:Oh look, there's pineco, who's just a pinecone. He's not a bug at all! Crustle and Dwebble are crabs, not bugs. If you want to get super technical, most "bug" types aren't "true bugs". Maybe bug just means "Creepy crawly/insectoid/arthropod type of pokemon"

Ghost: Shedinja's a husk! Drifblim is a balloon! Cofagrigus is a mummy! Sure, they're dead (undead?), but not "ghosts". Maybe ghost just means dead/spooky?

So why do people always go so crazy about dragon types? It basically means "legendary, typically reptilian creature". The other types are just as vaguely defined. These are vague classifications, largely for gameplay purposes, not strict definitions. There are a couple pokemon in EVERY type that don't quite fit by strict definitions.
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 3/21/2013 12:11:27 PM
Enferolunos posted...
Crustle and Dwebble are crabs, not bugs.

Uhh...
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
#3el_tercer_poderPosted 3/21/2013 12:14:20 PM(edited)
Enferolunos posted...
Ghost: Shedinja's a husk! Drifblim is a balloon! Cofagrigus is a mummy! Sure, they're dead (undead?), but not "ghosts". Maybe ghost just means dead/spooky?

You could argue that it also means spirits and re-animated/possessed things (see Banette and Golurk).
---
"Many of you feel bad for this lamp...That is because you're crazy.
It has no feelings! And the new one is much better." (IKEA's Lamp commercial)
#4KingTumbleweedPosted 3/21/2013 12:12:53 PM
What is this I don't even
---
Official Ferrothorn(Spaghetti) of Pokemon X/Y boards. Shadow Ferrothorn Admin of somewhere.
Certainly not a spy for any teams
#5CakeOfLiesPosted 3/21/2013 12:13:32 PM
Also, Stunfisk is the epitome of majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
---
#6Enferolunos(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 12:53:30 PM
el_tercer_poder posted...
Enferolunos posted...

You could argue that it also means spirits and re-animated/possessed things (see Banette and Golurk).

That's my point. That it's not absolutely literal. It doesn't need to be strictly defined.
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
#7Enferolunos(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 12:55:26 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
Enferolunos posted...

Uhh...

What? Crabs aren't bugs.

Bug may refer to: ...
Formally, an insect of the order Hemiptera, known as the "true bugs"
Informally, an arthropod—except marine crustaceans—or other small pest, excluding rodents and including individuals or species of ...

---
#8AuroraSonicBeamPosted 3/21/2013 12:56:17 PM
KingTumbleweed posted...

---
If you fail to get krump....nothing you do in life will succeed.- Krump King ASB
Black 2: 0820-1866-0181
#9UltimaZangetsuPosted 3/21/2013 12:57:26 PM
AuroraSonicBeam posted...
KingTumbleweed posted...

---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
#10CakeOfLiesPosted 3/21/2013 12:58:53 PM
Enferolunos posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
Enferolunos posted...

Uhh...

What? Crabs aren't bugs.

Okay. What species are they?
Fish? Ha.
---
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.