This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HM's that don't take up move space.

#1Hierarchy225Posted 3/21/2013 9:18:16 PM
I've wanted this since Gen 1. I like HM's, but you should have the option whether to use it as a move, or as a move, and attack. I hate going through the game, and having to use HM slaves because I don't wanna mess up my Pokemons movepools.

Does anyone agree with this, or am I alone on this one?
#2Mewtwo_soulPosted 3/21/2013 9:20:11 PM
As long as we can choose to use them as actual moves if we like them as standard moves. (IE: When they don't take up space, they can't be used in battle, but while they are used as a space they can be used in battle: IE: Surf)
---
Ignoring sheep. Best solution on CoD boards.
#3DarkKirby2500Posted 3/21/2013 9:20:56 PM
Then HMs might as well be items like the Bicycle. Not that I would mind if that happened.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>
#4LexifoxPosted 3/21/2013 9:21:07 PM
I think that the ideal situation is to make it so that HMs are innate techniques that Pokemon can have while keeping the HMs for attacks. So your Blastoise, for example, can learn how to carry you across Water, but can't use the actual Surf attack. I'd be fine with, for logical reasons, making it so that there are limits to this, like Blastoise getting a "natural Surf", but not Squirtle (or Froakie not getting it but Froakie's final evo having it).
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#5UltimaZangetsuPosted 3/21/2013 9:21:33 PM
Surf and Waterfall are the only HMs I've ever liked to actually have on my Pokemon. I would agree with something like this, but I don't see GF doing it anytime soon.
---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
#6MagikarpRulesPosted 3/21/2013 9:45:43 PM
Well, Surf and Waterfall are indeed useful. Strength is okayish. The other HMs, do with them what you will.
#7Hierarchy225(Topic Creator)Posted 3/21/2013 10:04:43 PM
Lexifox posted...
I think that the ideal situation is to make it so that HMs are innate techniques that Pokemon can have while keeping the HMs for attacks. So your Blastoise, for example, can learn how to carry you across Water, but can't use the actual Surf attack. I'd be fine with, for logical reasons, making it so that there are limits to this, like Blastoise getting a "natural Surf", but not Squirtle (or Froakie not getting it but Froakie's final evo having it).

I like this solution. It strikes me as silly that a Machamp wouldn't automatically know how to smash rocks, or push boulders since they are capable of pushing mountains by accident.
#8Missingno_MastrPosted 3/21/2013 10:17:07 PM
I'd personally like to see key items replace the HMs.

[HM];[replacement item] ([bag description])

Cut; Chainsaw (A gas-powered chainsaw designed for ease of use. It cuts through thin trees with minimal effort.)
Fly; Bag Rockets (A pair of rocket attachments for the Bag, allowing it to be converted into a jet pack. Allows for swift flight across entire regions.)
Surf; Raft (An inflatable raft designed to prevent leaks. She can sail across the widest of seas with ease.)
Strength; Muscle Gloves (A pair of hi-tech gloves which allow the wearer to push heavy boulders with ease.)
Waterfall/Whirlpool; Power Motor (A powerful motor that attaches to the Raft. It can propel the Raft across raging whirlpools and even up waterfalls.)
Dive; Conversion Kit (A kit to convert the Raft into a submarine, allowing for underwater travel.)
Rock Climb; Climbing Gear (A set of tools used in the climbing of mountains. It allows for easy travel up and down the rockiest of slopes.)
---
Official badass Admin of Team Miror Infinity. I ride a Shadow Scolipede. Top that. I dare you.
#9MagikarpRulesPosted 3/21/2013 10:23:12 PM
I get why people wants to get rid of HMs, but in all honesty, part of the reason for having them in the first place is the underlying theme of trainers and their Pokemon working together to get over obstacles. Kinda defeats the purpose if you throw away the HMs. Plus, leave Surf and Waterfall alone.
#10FatReuniclusPosted 3/24/2013 6:45:48 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
I'd personally like to see key items replace the HMs.

[HM];[replacement item] ([bag description])

Cut; Chainsaw (A gas-powered chainsaw designed for ease of use. It cuts through thin trees with minimal effort.)
Fly; Bag Rockets (A pair of rocket attachments for the Bag, allowing it to be converted into a jet pack. Allows for swift flight across entire regions.)
Surf; Raft (An inflatable raft designed to prevent leaks. She can sail across the widest of seas with ease.)
Strength; Muscle Gloves (A pair of hi-tech gloves which allow the wearer to push heavy boulders with ease.)
Waterfall/Whirlpool; Power Motor (A powerful motor that attaches to the Raft. It can propel the Raft across raging whirlpools and even up waterfalls.)
Dive; Conversion Kit (A kit to convert the Raft into a submarine, allowing for underwater travel.)
Rock Climb; Climbing Gear (A set of tools used in the climbing of mountains. It allows for easy travel up and down the rockiest of slopes.)

No, we can work it out a different way....

Example:---Surf: Many Water Pokemon can learn to Surf past a certain point in the game without taking a move space.
---
I wish Reuniclus was my dad...