This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

HM's that don't take up move space.

#11CarbideTitanPosted 3/24/2013 7:01:56 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
I'd personally like to see key items replace the HMs.

[HM];[replacement item] ([bag description])

Cut; Chainsaw (A gas-powered chainsaw designed for ease of use. It cuts through thin trees with minimal effort.)
Fly; Bag Rockets (A pair of rocket attachments for the Bag, allowing it to be converted into a jet pack. Allows for swift flight across entire regions.)
Surf; Raft (An inflatable raft designed to prevent leaks. She can sail across the widest of seas with ease.)
Strength; Muscle Gloves (A pair of hi-tech gloves which allow the wearer to push heavy boulders with ease.)
Waterfall/Whirlpool; Power Motor (A powerful motor that attaches to the Raft. It can propel the Raft across raging whirlpools and even up waterfalls.)
Dive; Conversion Kit (A kit to convert the Raft into a submarine, allowing for underwater travel.)
Rock Climb; Climbing Gear (A set of tools used in the climbing of mountains. It allows for easy travel up and down the rockiest of slopes.)

So, this then?

http://www.gameswelike.com/web/pix/Zelda/History/zelda04invscreen.jpg
---
Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails, pray for me now that the hour of my death which I hope is soon, Amen
#12SerperiorThanUPosted 3/24/2013 7:06:13 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
Well, Surf and Waterfall are indeed useful. Strength is okayish. The other HMs, do with them what you will.

Rock Climb for Tauros, the original king
#13scraadinPosted 3/24/2013 7:33:19 PM
I favor making them properties of other moves.

All special water attacks get the Surf property, so all you need to know is Surf, Water Gun, or Bubblebeam to surf, as long as you have the appropriate badge.

Waterfall is a property of physical water attacks.

Fly can by used by Pokemon who use flying attacks. Within reason.

Cut is a property of all scratching and slashing attacks.

And so on.
---
"There is no overkill. There is only "Open Fire" and "I need to reload."
The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates-schlockmercenary
#14Monkins42Posted 3/24/2013 7:44:18 PM
I'd love it if they just made it so having a water pokemon in your party let you surf, a flying type let you fly, grass types let you cut small trees, fighting types let you smash those annoying rocks, and so on.

HMs always really bugged me.
---
GT: Alec8717
#15wahaha911Posted 3/24/2013 7:45:35 PM
Tauros was the Original King not the new of the norm
---
---
Asianwide is on yo side!!!
#16Chaos_MissilePosted 3/24/2013 8:29:55 PM
MagikarpRules posted...
I get why people wants to get rid of HMs, but in all honesty, part of the reason for having them in the first place is the underlying theme of trainers and their Pokemon working together to get over obstacles. Kinda defeats the purpose if you throw away the HMs. Plus, leave Surf and Waterfall alone.

Pokemon-only useable items then.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#17jayman7Posted 3/24/2013 8:40:01 PM
I still say the optimal solution is just to give Pokemon "reserve" moves, which can be any move the Pokemon can learn, not just HMs, which can be used on the field but not in battle unless switched with one of the "active" moves. Devise whatever (reasonable) limitation for switching you want - any time outside of battle or only at Pokemon centers being the most obvious choices.

This solves not only HMs but a few other issues as well (ever lost a hard-to-get Egg move to the Daycare?)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#18MasajubPosted 3/24/2013 9:24:31 PM
I don't like the idea that you are forced to have a water and a flying type in your party. You only have six slots, why should you not be able to use what you want?

Get rid of the whole HM system.
#19willingmessPosted 3/24/2013 9:32:24 PM
I think fly is a pretty decent move for the main story. It's got good power, and its two turn wind up doesn't matter very often. Detect can be annoying, but very few NPCs use that during the game.
---
Official Team Miror (subdiv. of miror infinity) Leader
Shadow pokemon: flygon
#20Hierarchy225(Topic Creator)Posted 3/25/2013 5:47:34 AM
I think it should be like this. If you have a pokemon capable of swimming or flying, and is realistically able to carry you(no more flying on spearow's) you should be able to surf, and fly.