This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Haven't Played Pokemon Since Gold/Silver. What is New?

#11LightningAce11Posted 3/22/2013 4:17:17 PM
GoreGamer posted...
TherianReturns posted...
Why wouldn't you play Ruby And Sapphire?

I guess I was just getting tired of the series. I also lost the nostalgia, following all the new pokemon. They just aren't as cute or memorable as the 1st gen. Take gen 2 for instance. The 3 Pokemon you start up with are conveniently a fire type, grass type and a water type. They are basically poor imitations of their ancestors.

Troll confirmed. Get out.
---
http://www.gifbin.com/f/981329
No! Because I work at ze muffin factory!
#12GoreGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 4:22:52 PM
SalsaSavant posted...
We now have:
Abilities, online, lots of post game stuff, double battles, triple battles, rotation battles, natures, mini games, reusable TMs, a totally new metagame, and a whole lot of new Pokemon

Are the battles themselves different though? Got tired of massacring opponents with a monster that was like 20 levels higher.
#13MetaFalconPunchPosted 3/22/2013 4:24:05 PM
GoreGamer posted...
TherianReturns posted...

The 3 Pokemon you start up with are conveniently a fire type, grass type and a water type. They are basically poor imitations of their ancestors.

Well DUH! They're the starter Pokemon. It's sort of become a tradition.
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#14Charizard4NUPosted 3/22/2013 4:25:14 PM
GoreGamer posted...
Take gen 2 for instance. The 3 Pokemon you start up with are conveniently a fire type, grass type and a water type. They are basically poor imitations of their ancestors.

Troll confirmed. Move along
#15GoreGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 4:27:15 PM
MetaFalconPunch posted...
GoreGamer posted...
TherianReturns posted...

The 3 Pokemon you start up with are conveniently a fire type, grass type and a water type. They are basically poor imitations of their ancestors.

Yeah but to me, somebody who grew up watching the show and trading the cards in primary school, it kind of felt like betrayal. It was like they were saying 'we're going to replace those creatures you grew up with and loved with these ugly things'. And yes they weren't as cute. Take that fire pokemon. (I cant even pronounce the monsters in gen 2 thats how bad they are) it looked so ugly. It's eyes were constantly shut and looked like an eyelash. It's nose was too long. Its arms were too short and for some reason it had a jet pack in its back. I'd take Charmander any day.
#16MetaFalconPunchPosted 3/22/2013 4:27:45 PM
GoreGamer posted...
GoreGamer posted...
TherianReturns posted...

Yeah but to me, somebody who grew up watching the show and trading the cards in primary school, it kind of felt like betrayal. It was like they were saying 'we're going to replace those creatures you grew up with and loved with these ugly things'. And yes they weren't as cute. Take that fire pokemon. (I cant even pronounce the monsters in gen 2 thats how bad they are) it looked so ugly. It's eyes were constantly shut and looked like an eyelash. It's nose was too long. Its arms were too short and for some reason it had a jet pack in its back. I'd take Charmander any day.

You dissing on mah Cyndaquil?
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#17iKhanicPosted 3/22/2013 4:28:06 PM
GoreGamer posted...
I stopped playing after Gold because it was essentially the same game as before +100 odd new Pokemon. Have they actually innovated the game?

Um, Gen 2 did about a million things better than Gen 1 did. For one, you go to two regions, you have the Battle tower, a real-time day-night cycle, trainers you can re-battle, the best gen of pokemon made, among a crap ton of other things.

Here is a list of things Gen 1 has that Gen 2 lacks:
Charizard
Swift mechanics
Gym Leaders have better teams
end list.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#186bananzaPosted 3/22/2013 4:28:55 PM
GoreGamer posted...
GoreGamer posted...
TherianReturns posted...

*Gasp* He likes Charizard! Hurry, everyone, let's make fun of him!
---
Official member of Team Miror Infinity. I AM SHADOW ARTICUNO! http://i.imgur.com/PIMfmML.png. Credit: CM_Ponch. Oppan Gangnam Style!
#19GoreGamer(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2013 4:30:39 PM
6bananza posted...
GoreGamer posted...
GoreGamer posted...
TherianReturns posted...

Charmander not Charizard. Don't like Charizard tbh. That a-hole wouldnt fight for Ash.
#206bananzaPosted 3/22/2013 4:32:42 PM
GoreGamer posted...
6bananza posted...
GoreGamer posted...
GoreGamer posted...

Charmander not Charizard. Don't like Charizard tbh. That a-hole wouldnt fight for Ash.

*Gasp* He watches the anime! Hurry, everyone, let's make fun of him!
---
Official member of Team Miror Infinity. I AM SHADOW ARTICUNO! http://i.imgur.com/PIMfmML.png. Credit: CM_Ponch. Oppan Gangnam Style!