This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Haven't Played Pokemon Since Gold/Silver. What is New?

#21MetaFalconPunchPosted 3/22/2013 3:34:39 PM
6bananza posted...
GoreGamer posted...
6bananza posted...
GoreGamer posted...
MetaFalconPunch posted...
Well DUH! They're the starter Pokemon. It's sort of become a tradition.

Yeah but to me, somebody who grew up watching the show and trading the cards in primary school, it kind of felt like betrayal. It was like they were saying 'we're going to replace those creatures you grew up with and loved with these ugly things'. And yes they weren't as cute. Take that fire pokemon. (I cant even pronounce the monsters in gen 2 thats how bad they are) it looked so ugly. It's eyes were constantly shut and looked like an eyelash. It's nose was too long. Its arms were too short and for some reason it had a jet pack in its back. I'd take Charmander any day.

*Gasp* He likes Charizard! Hurry, everyone, let's make fun of him!

Charmander not Charizard. Don't like Charizard tbh. That a-hole wouldnt fight for Ash.

*Gasp* He watches the anime! Hurry, everyone, let's make fun of him!

*throws rotten tomatoes at TC*
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.
#22LightningAce11Posted 3/22/2013 4:46:37 PM
Tc, if you gave up on pokemon you don't deserve to try and play it again now.
---
http://www.gifbin.com/f/981329
No! Because I work at ze muffin factory!
#23FierceDeity1026Posted 3/22/2013 5:00:19 PM
If you dislike the fact that the starters continue to have the types grass, fire, and water, then don't even try getting back into the series because every generation of the main games start with grass, fire, and water. However, some of the final stages add a second type (which isn't new) like Water/Steel, Grass/Ground, and the infamous Fire/Fighting.

And I almost want to say that your opinion of Cyndaquil is wrong. >.>
#24pokemonzeroPosted 3/22/2013 5:03:18 PM
6bananza posted...
GoreGamer posted...
GoreGamer posted...
TherianReturns posted...
Why wouldn't you play Ruby And Sapphire?

The 3 Pokemon you start up with are conveniently a fire type, grass type and a water type. They are basically poor imitations of their ancestors.

Yeah but to me, somebody who grew up watching the show and trading the cards in primary school, it kind of felt like betrayal. It was like they were saying 'we're going to replace those creatures you grew up with and loved with these ugly things'. And yes they weren't as cute. Take that fire pokemon. (I cant even pronounce the monsters in gen 2 thats how bad they are) it looked so ugly. It's eyes were constantly shut and looked like an eyelash. It's nose was too long. Its arms were too short and for some reason it had a jet pack in its back. I'd take Charmander any day.

*Gasp* He likes Charizard! Hurry, everyone, let's make fun of him!

*Throws TC a Flame Shield*
*Flame Shield lands in a pile of ashes*
"Opps too late"
*Procedes to pour gas on ashes*
---
Volunteer at Dream World Paradise. Jobs done 18--- William FC: 0648-5041-0950
Volunteer Cloner/RCer Jobs done:2
#25FryDays5000Posted 3/22/2013 5:08:50 PM
Try to not come back to the series while you still can TC. If you REALLY dislike the direction they're doing right now, its best to pack up your hate towards improvements, and move on to something else.
---
Freiza may be cool, but his brother is..... COOLER(get it?)
3DS FC:0645-6947-9076
#26EpsteinBarrPosted 3/22/2013 5:16:37 PM(edited)
GoreGamer posted...
GoreGamer posted...
TherianReturns posted...
Why wouldn't you play Ruby And Sapphire?

The 3 Pokemon you start up with are conveniently a fire type, grass type and a water type. They are basically poor imitations of their ancestors.

I completely agree with you (although gen 2 wasn't so bad, it was quite an improvement actually). The newer games are more polished and have bunches of stuff added to them you may not be familiar with like natures, abilities, IVs, EVs, then things like double battles, triple battles, rotation battles, and of course new Pokemon and new moves. The concepts aren't too hard to figure out, although you may have to get your feet wet.

I don't know how much they make the game better as I hardly care for most of these additions, but they're there. Natures, IVs, and EVs can put you in quite a time sink if you get addicted to breeding. I'd say just pick one of the new games and play it.

Overall, yes, the Pokemon are nowhere near as well designed and memorable as the first gen, and the whole fire, grass, water starters are getting pretty silly, especially when the designs get crapper by each gen. But I think you'll find a lot of fun in your playthroughs with the newer games like Black 2/White 2 which have become more stream-lined and fast paced.
#27KrisipokePosted 3/22/2013 5:28:04 PM
Generation 1 Pokémon only seem better/more memorable because we grew up with them. Why can't anybody see this?
---
Goemon, Simon Belmont, Mega Man, Paper Mario, Alex Roivas, Isaac, and Prince Sabure for SSB4!
http://www.backloggery.com/krisi
#28jakovuPosted 3/22/2013 5:31:40 PM
ChronoCactaur posted...
Play Gen 5. Be blown away by how much of an improvement it is from Gen 1/2.

Two words: Re-usable TMs.

Three more words: HMs Aren't Mandatory*

*Except for Surf in BW2, and Fly is always nice to have. Thankfully those are also good battle moves anyway.

Also in B2/W2: Repel's effect wore off. WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE ANOTHER?
#29FierceDeity1026Posted 3/22/2013 5:40:40 PM
jakovu posted...
Also in B2/W2: Repel's effect wore off. WOULD YOU LIKE TO USE ANOTHER?

This just might be the best addition to the Pokemon games ever.
#30LightningAce11Posted 3/22/2013 6:25:44 PM
Topic is filled with genwunners. I grew up with gen 1, and I think it's the worst.
---
http://www.gifbin.com/f/981329
No! Because I work at ze muffin factory!