This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Natures should've never been added imo.

#11DoctorJimmy133Posted 3/23/2013 6:44:52 PM
TIGERJACKS0N posted...

The most that shouldve been done for individuals stats are iv's......nature hunting is such bs imo...

Nature hunting is BS but not IV RNGing? At least natures imply that Pokémon have different personalities. IVs imply some Pokémon are better than others of the same species.
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#12Faust_8Posted 3/23/2013 6:48:58 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
TIGERJACKS0N posted...

The most that shouldve been done for individuals stats are iv's......nature hunting is such bs imo...

Nature hunting is BS but not IV RNGing? At least natures imply that Pokémon have different personalities. IVs imply some Pokémon are better than others of the same species.

I'm not a fan of IVs at all, however, I'm the same species as Stephen Hawking but he's WAY better at thinking than I am.

Same species does not and has not ever meant equal capabilities in all things.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#13DoctorJimmy133Posted 3/23/2013 7:15:51 PM
Faust_8 posted...
DoctorJimmy133 posted...

I'm not a fan of IVs at all, however, I'm the same species as Stephen Hawking but he's WAY better at thinking than I am.

Same species does not and has not ever meant equal capabilities in all things.

Well, yeah, not in all things. I'm pretty sure that you're physically in better shape than Stephen Hawking.

A Pokémon that has 31/31/31/31/31/31 IVs and a Hardy Nature outclasses a Pokémon with 0/0/0/0/0/0 IVs and a Hardy Nature in every practical way. Whereas a Pokémon that has 31/31/31/31/31/31 IVs and an Adamant nature may not outclass a Pokémon that has 31/31/31/31/31/31 IVs and a Hardy nature.

Besides, there's no need to apply the harsh realities of the real world to Pokémon! In Pokémon, every creature has potential! Oh, except that useless Deino with 3/24/10/9/14/1, throw it out and get a better one if you want to battle competitively. What bothers me is not only the necessity of genetic engineering in Pokémon but the moral implications, the fact that some Pokémon are to be judged by the player as inferior to others.
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#14Faust_8Posted 3/23/2013 8:07:38 PM
While I agree with that downside of IVs...

1) The trick is to not care that much about competition. To me, being that serious about Pokemon is going about enjoying Pokemon the wrong way.

2) You have to admit, without IVs, lots and lots of Pokemon would have the EXACT same stats assuming they have the same EV spread. IVs do help allow a good deal more "individuality" to Pokemon.

Without IVs, say you have an Alakazam. You want to max its Sp.Atk and Speed obviously, so say you have 252/252/4. Well, that means your Alakazam is statistically the same as every other Alakazam that has that spread and same Nature (probably Modest or Timid).

Granted, that can still be true with IVs but it takes work because unless they're all maxed there will be differences.

Without them though, that Alakazam is more like "an Alakazam" instead of "my Alakazam" if that makes any sense.

Sort of like how human beings are often defined by their imperfections that make them unique. But yeah, I'd totally be fine with IVs having a smaller difference--as in, instead of a 31 range, a 15 range like the first two Gens or whatever. Or simply a more accessible way to influence them, since they're essentially hidden now.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#15paiprPosted 3/23/2013 8:14:50 PM
id say the other way around. natures at least give you a much better idea of what the pokemon you have strengths/weakness' are. where as with iv, you may have a pokemon with a good nature, but such bad iv's that unless you do the math you may never realize it could have been so much better.
---
cant decide which movie is the worst movie; dragon ball z evolution, m.nights last air bender, or twilight????? hmmm
#16snuffles504Posted 3/23/2013 8:16:46 PM
I like natures. They add fun personalities to Pokemon, and their affects are easy to identify. IVs add nothing to the fun of Pokemon and are hidden from the player.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#17snuffles504Posted 3/23/2013 8:23:18 PM
Faust_8 posted...
While I agree with that downside of IVs...

1) The trick is to not care that much about competition. To me, being that serious about Pokemon is going about enjoying Pokemon the wrong way.

2) You have to admit, without IVs, lots and lots of Pokemon would have the EXACT same stats assuming they have the same EV spread. IVs do help allow a good deal more "individuality" to Pokemon.

Without IVs, say you have an Alakazam. You want to max its Sp.Atk and Speed obviously, so say you have 252/252/4. Well, that means your Alakazam is statistically the same as every other Alakazam that has that spread and same Nature (probably Modest or Timid).

Granted, that can still be true with IVs but it takes work because unless they're all maxed there will be differences.

Without them though, that Alakazam is more like "an Alakazam" instead of "my Alakazam" if that makes any sense.

Sort of like how human beings are often defined by their imperfections that make them unique. But yeah, I'd totally be fine with IVs having a smaller difference--as in, instead of a 31 range, a 15 range like the first two Gens or whatever. Or simply a more accessible way to influence them, since they're essentially hidden now.

The concept behind this is right, but in the competitive world where IVs actually matter every Alakazam is still going to be the same. Competitive players are going to breed for an Alakazam with the highest Sp.Atk and Speed IVs as possible, because otherwise it will be inferior to the 31-IV Alakazam that other players will be using.

So in competitive reality, IVs do nothing to help diversity. Outside of the competitive world, IVs effectively do nothing but prevent your freshly-caught Dunsparce from being the best that it can be.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#18DoctorJimmy133Posted 3/23/2013 8:29:25 PM
Faust_8 posted...

If doing whatever you can to win is enjoying the game wrong, I'd say that the game needs work. A game cannot be enjoyed to the fullest unless you can have fun while trying as hard as you can.

Competitively, lots and lots of Pokémon do have the EXACT same stats. If you are battling competitively, IVs are just a hassle. If you aren't battling competitively and IVs don't exist, no trained Pokémon will have the same stats because you don't care about EVs because you don't battle competitively.
---
#19FatReuniclusPosted 3/24/2013 4:40:10 PM
H-L-W posted...
I really don't like how there are five identical neutral natures. One's pointless enough, but five of the same thing?

Well, it's so you have a chance 5 times higher to just act like natures don't exsist!
---
I wish Reuniclus was my dad...
#20MugilokoPosted 3/24/2013 4:43:37 PM
loltigerjackson
---
B1 FC:1807-8830-3725 "Squids are evil!" http://i.imgur.com/ayRpQlZ.png
Official Zoroark of the Pokemon XY board