This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Would you like paid DLC to exist in Pokemon X and Y?

#11Arne83Posted 3/23/2013 11:14:26 PM
TIGERJACKS0N posted...
SteaIth_Rock posted...
Obviously. I don't understand the DLC hate. I mean no one is forcing you to pay for them anyways.

Yes it does these days. Nowadays publishers will purposely mutilate games and sell them to pieces. Rather than paying for expansion packs anymore, it's more about buying the game in pieces

That is not how all DLC is. If you think that's how it is, you're stupid.
---
"Oh no...wiki has attained self-consciousness!" -SOLDIER_Bankai
#12roo10158Posted 3/23/2013 11:47:36 PM
if it is reasonable, yes.

PAID DLC pokemon- no

paid story content (like side quests, or a Sevii Isles type mini-region to go with the main one)- sure, just so long as it isn't Day One or On-cartridge DLC.

DLC is not inherently bad, but it CAN be (like most things) be used in bad ways (such as Day One/things cut from the game that should have been included in the original product).
---
My systems: Genesis/32X, Saturn, Dreamcast, GG, SNES, N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U, Xbox360, PS1, PS2, PS3, GBC, DS Lite, DSi XL, 3DS, PS VITA
#13apollooooPosted 3/23/2013 11:49:07 PM
if it's something like shivering islands, or fallout DLC or borderlands DLC, then ok.

if we pay to unlock new pokemon, new pokeballs / items , **** it
---
Love is a kiss of a terminal bliss. from the smile on your face, to the line you rephrase will guide you to your love.
your love is a kiss, my undying wish
#14xdifferentxPosted 3/23/2013 11:59:09 PM
Unlock special Mew encounter for $3...
#15Hydra_Gundam_Posted 3/24/2013 12:27:21 AM
xdifferentx posted...

Stuff like that I wouldnt mind. Or recreations of old events and locations.
---
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space
#16King-gamerPosted 3/24/2013 12:46:36 AM
xdifferentx posted...

But if you kill it or fail to catch it, you need to pay 3 bucks to try again.
---
This is a sig. Yup.
#17xdifferentxPosted 3/24/2013 12:51:09 AM
Hydra_Gundam_ posted...
xdifferentx posted...

Stuff like that I wouldnt mind. Or recreations of old events and locations.

I dislike that because then the game becomes "Gotta Buy Em' All" rather than being able to legitimately being able to earn them. I know there hasn't been a game in which you could literally collect every single Pokemon within the 2 versions, there was always a few to be distributed through events. Even if there is as few as 10 that need to be bought then it's really no different then the whole "on disc DLC" people seem to hate so much.
Now if they added events like the Celebii one in HG/SS where you got to fight Giovanni and learn that he's the father of your rival then I would find it to be somewhat acceptable as it adds to the game itself.
#18RX0megaPosted 3/24/2013 2:09:00 AM
Skull_pro posted...
RX0mega posted...
No. And nobody with a brain will say yes, because paid dlc always sucks unless it is a genuine expansion, which it won't be because it would likely just be the stuff in events.

Ok. I'm fine with paid dlcs... as long as the price is right and it worth it. I seriously wouldn't mind extra story element and stuff like that, but pokemon given away as dlc like the crap BW2 has given so far. Seriously, dlc haters of your type need to chill the fudge out. And you need to understand the difference between dlc and expension. Expentions are usually a lot more expensive. If XY get genuine expentions, expect those costing at least $15. I'm fine with smaller 3-5$ dlcs.

Being fine with what are effectively micro-transactions is being part of the whole problem with the dlc. DLC is typically a very dishonest practice, and the only times it isn't are when you know for certain the content wasn't left out of the game so they could have an excuse to charge you more for it later (on-disc dlc is the obvious variety of this, but it would be naive to think that only on-disc dlc does this).

Back before dlc came out you used to have these mystical things called unlockables. Do you remember them? I do. I remember the good old days where you could unlock extra modes, extra characters, extra things in my game, simply from doing something cool in it. Now the doing something cool gets you a e-peen enhancing "trophy/achievment" and the actual content that used to be unlocked is now sold to you online for extra cost.

Now, you know how I said it is dishonest earlier? See, I would actually be fine if they just included this content in the product and raised the average price by five or ten dollars as cost of development stuff. It is the removing it from the game, and then charging you extra for it that gets me.

Now, as for why DLC is bad for Pokemon. Look at Skylanders. Do you genuinly want to open the door for Pokemon to be sold like trading cards? Really? Truly? Do you actually think that is a good idea and not something designed to r*** your wallet for all its worth because they know you'll buy that crap? See, I'm not against genuine well-meant dlc. Skyrim's dlc is an excellent example of how DLC should be done, they are genuine extra content made after the game was finalized and, more importantly, released, and well worth paying money for.

But that is not the dlc you will be looking at with Pokemon. No, what would happen if Pokemon was to have dlc is you get to pay a few dollars to get the chance to catch a legendary, or go to a so-called "new" island to recapture Pokemon from older gens (basically islands like the Sevii Islands and the Fight Area). And that is exactly the sort of s*** this franchise doesn't need, because it is pointless, and designed only to get as much money from the consumer as possible. It is how Crapcom and co handle dlc, which is anti-consumer. And the only reason we even have bad dlc is because people thought "it's only a few dollars, so I'll buy this micro-transaction".
---
Official Piplup of the Pokemon X board.
#19Skull_proPosted 3/24/2013 2:25:30 AM
RX0mega posted...
Skull_pro posted...
RX0mega posted...
No. And nobody with a brain will say yes, because paid dlc always sucks unless it is a genuine expansion, which it won't be because it would likely just be the stuff in events.

Ok. I'm fine with paid dlcs... as long as the price is right and it worth it. I seriously wouldn't mind extra story element and stuff like that, but pokemon given away as dlc like the crap BW2 has given so far. Seriously, dlc haters of your type need to chill the fudge out. And you need to understand the difference between dlc and expension. Expentions are usually a lot more expensive. If XY get genuine expentions, expect those costing at least $15. I'm fine with smaller 3-5$ dlcs.

Being fine with what are effectively micro-transactions is being part of the whole problem with the dlc. DLC is typically a very dishonest practice, and the only times it isn't are when you know for certain the content wasn't left out of the game so they could have an excuse to charge you more for it later (on-disc dlc is the obvious variety of this, but it would be naive to think that only on-disc dlc does this).

Back before dlc came out you used to have these mystical things called unlockables. Do you remember them? I do. I remember the good old days where you could unlock extra modes, extra characters, extra things in my game, simply from doing something cool in it. Now the doing something cool gets you a e-peen enhancing "trophy/achievment" and the actual content that used to be unlocked is now sold to you online for extra cost.

Now, you know how I said it is dishonest earlier? See, I would actually be fine if they just included this content in the product and raised the average price by five or ten dollars as cost of development stuff. It is the removing it from the game, and then charging you extra for it that gets me.

Now, as for why DLC is bad for Pokemon. Look at Skylanders. Do you genuinly want to open the door for Pokemon to be sold like trading cards? Really? Truly? Do you actually think that is a good idea and not something designed to r*** your wallet for all its worth because they know you'll buy that crap? See, I'm not against genuine well-meant dlc. Skyrim's dlc is an excellent example of how DLC should be done, they are genuine extra content made after the game was finalized and, more importantly, released, and well worth paying money for.

But that is not the dlc you will be looking at with Pokemon. No, what would happen if Pokemon was to have dlc is you get to pay a few dollars to get the chance to catch a legendary, or go to a so-called "new" island to recapture Pokemon from older gens (basically islands like the Sevii Islands and the Fight Area). And that is exactly the sort of s*** this franchise doesn't need, because it is pointless, and designed only to get as much money from the consumer as possible. It is how Crapcom and co handle dlc, which is anti-consumer. And the only reason we even have bad dlc is because people thought "it's only a few dollars, so I'll buy this micro-transaction".

Lol. You don't want dlc, but would like games to be more expencive so that said games have the equivalent of dlc? Forcing us to buy extra content is far more dishonest.I'd actually rather have dlc THAT I AM NOT FORCED TO BUY rayher than forced extra content at a forced raised price with my games. And tbh, only capcom, and maybe EA sucks with dlc handling. Like people said, there is nothing wrong with dlcs since they only ADD things to an ALREADY COMPLETE game to further enhence the gaming experience.
---
Married to Clay, Driftveil city's gym leader
Official Roserade of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#20jayman7Posted 3/24/2013 2:58:43 AM
Let's no about how no the no presented in this no is so we can no no no no no no no no no no no no no no NO NO NO NO NO!

Did I mention no?

Because no.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere