This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gen 1 pokemon designs that are better than recent ones

#1LenneValkiryePosted 3/26/2013 5:15:57 AM
So, since whenever Gen 1 pokemon designs are mentioned trolls are quick to mention things like Ditto and Voltorb and act like they represent the entire generation, how about mentioning the good designs, that, quite frankly, put the recent ones to shame?

We should compare the percentage of good designs for each generation, not "which generation happens to have the pokemon with the worst design".

I'll start:

Scyther
Articuno
Blastoise
Venusaur
Ninetales
Gengar
Lapras
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Flareon
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Kabutops
Arcanine
Gyarados
Dragonair

Feel free to add more.
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 3/26/2013 5:18:31 AM
I disagree. There are a lot of Gen I Pokemon (a few of them on your list) that I really dislike.

Come to think of it, there are very few that I do like. I think Mewtwo, Alakazam, and Gyarados are the entirety of my list.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#3RoccoRedPosted 3/26/2013 5:19:14 AM
None of these put the new designs to shame. Neither the new ones, we all have an opinion so there just can't be a better design.
---
Xbox: KeroTenu
PSN: Omagiri_Dragon
#4SephirothtPosted 3/26/2013 5:31:51 AM
The one problem with your idea is that there is such a thing called opinions, ever heard of them?
Apparantly different people have different opinions on things and Pokemon designs are included.
---
Officially faved Ninetales, everywhere, R - Burning Knight Executive
Facebook: http://alturl.com/juupo
#5Solar_CrimsonPosted 3/26/2013 5:36:43 AM
So, since whenever Gen 1 pokemon designs are mentioned trolls are quick to mention things like Ditto and Voltorb and act like they represent the entire generation

Just like how people use Vanillish and Trubbish to represent all of Gen. 5?
---
http://backloggery.com/SolarCrimson - My Backloggery
The official Okuninushi of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#6Tzuba12Posted 3/26/2013 5:44:37 AM
Here are some bad ones:
Jynx
Mr. Mime
Drowzee
Hypno
Muk
Grimer
seel (not even an original name)
pidgey (literally just a generic bird)
voltorb
ditto
electrode
Dragonite
magikarp

Seriously, gen 1 designs really weren't that great, or creative at all, and some were just down right ugly (looking at you, Jynx and Mr. Mime)

Yes, I started with gen 1. I loved the games. But the newer gen designs are just more creative. In a game called Pocket MONSTERS, creativeness is key.

I love how, for example: people have a problem with trubbish, but find muk acceptable (when its the same damn concept)

Or how some Pokemon have to many "accessories" when we have a damn turtle with cannons coming out of its shell, or various pokemon who are magically born with clothes on.
---
3DS: 0146-8850-9059
Steam: Tzuba
#7MightyRevenantPosted 3/26/2013 5:46:03 AM
Um, guys, subje--ohh! GameFAQs! Sorry.
---
Official Eviolite of the pretentious Pokemon fanbase on GameFAQs.
#8pokemonfreak97Posted 3/26/2013 5:47:04 AM
The only reason people who like recent designs bring up Ditto and Voltorb is that the genwunners are quick to bring up Vanillite and Trubbish as representative of the entire fifth generation. Personally I don't see what's wrong with a Pokémon designed after trash or ice cream--they're as legitimate of concepts as just about anything else a Pokémon's been based on, and I have nothing against their designs. I also like Ditto, Voltorb, and their ilk; even though I like complex designs, I like to be able to look at a Pokémon and instantly identify what it is based on.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#9LenneValkirye(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 5:57:22 AM
Tzuba12 posted...
Here are some bad ones

Read my post. This topic is about GOOD designs, not bad ones.
And don't even try to go there because Gen 4 has way more bad designs compared to the other ones combined.
#10MightyRevenantPosted 3/26/2013 5:57:30 AM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
The only reason people who like recent designs bring up Ditto and Voltorb is that the genwunners are quick to bring up Vanillite and Trubbish as representative of the entire fifth generation. Personally I don't see what's wrong with a Pokémon designed after trash or ice cream--they're as legitimate of concepts as just about anything else a Pokémon's been based on, and I have nothing against their designs. I also like Ditto, Voltorb, and their ilk; even though I like complex designs, I like to be able to look at a Pokémon and instantly identify what it is based on.

I completely agree. Same goes for names.

But in all honesty, I think the people who always mention Vanillite, Trubbish and Chandelure are just trolls trying to provoke the same response from all Gen V defenders and they're not actual nostalgia-stickbundles, if even Pokémon fans.
---
Official Eviolite of the pretentious Pokemon fanbase on GameFAQs.