This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does evolution exist in the Pokemon universe?

#1MagnemightPosted 3/26/2013 1:20:05 PM
In our world, we see tons of species that are similar to each other, and that's one of the main points of evolution. We also have a good deal of fossil evidence that shows steps where the evolution of different species diverges.

But in Pokemon, a good deal of the animals represented don't have particularly many variations. There's no Pokemon that resembles Dunsparce, for example, nor can I think of any whales other than Wailmer/Wailord.

Most of the fossils don't look anything like present-time Pokemon, either. Tortuga could potentially lead to Squirtle, Turtwig, and Torkoal, but I can't see anyone arguing that Omanyte is a predecessor to anything.

Genetic mutation is a bit mysterious in Pokemon, too, seeing how most traits are generated completely randomly, with only a few traits being inherited from the parents.

So could evolution have been a thing?
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#2Pendragon71037Posted 3/26/2013 1:21:22 PM
Way to start a flame war, TC.
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 5. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and am 100% proud of it. Yeah, it's hot, but it's a dry heat.
#3pokemonfreak97Posted 3/26/2013 1:23:36 PM
I doubt it does; new Pokémon just appear as Game Freak wants them to.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#4Gray_AreasPosted 3/26/2013 1:24:11 PM
New Pokemon species are being discovered/popping up all the time within the Pokemon world. That coupled with the fact that there are extinct Pokemon species lead me to believe that there is indeed an ongoing course of natural species development and adaptation that ends up being much like the evolution we see in our world.
---
White FC: 4727 7422 4019
Platinum FC: 2063 5286 9480
#5EnferolunosPosted 3/26/2013 1:24:12 PM
Magnemight posted...
In our world, we see tons of species that are similar to each other, and that's one of the main points of evolution. We also have a good deal of fossil evidence that shows steps where the evolution of different species diverges.

But in Pokemon, a good deal of the animals represented don't have particularly many variations. There's no Pokemon that resembles Dunsparce, for example, nor can I think of any whales other than Wailmer/Wailord.

Most of the fossils don't look anything like present-time Pokemon, either. Tortuga could potentially lead to Squirtle, Turtwig, and Torkoal, but I can't see anyone arguing that Omanyte is a predecessor to anything.

Genetic mutation is a bit mysterious in Pokemon, too, seeing how most traits are generated completely randomly, with only a few traits being inherited from the parents.

So could evolution have been a thing?

Um
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#6Firelion6593Posted 3/26/2013 1:25:32 PM
You've got a world where a Skitty and a Wailord can produce viable offspring, and you're worried about actual evolution?
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#7javel34Posted 3/26/2013 1:27:09 PM
Pokemon come from outer space so maybe not every species made the leap to earth. Also as someone said new pokes keep getting discovered so either this alien invasion is recent or the Pokemon world is massive.
---
Black 2 FC:0519 5089 8733
#8Magnemight(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 2:49:33 PM
boomp
---
A.K.A. Magnemania.
Fritz0x8: I dont kno what sentient means | willingmess: Just know that the word does not describe you.
#9wahaha911Posted 3/26/2013 2:52:57 PM
HOLA ^_^
---
---
Asianwide is on yo side!!!
#10FuneralCakePosted 3/26/2013 2:58:13 PM
Magnemight posted...
I can't see anyone arguing that Omanyte is a predecessor to anything.

Well... Let's see here... In our world, what did the ammonite evolve into? A nautilus, right? So, why would they go and make two Pokemon that are practically identical? Just to show evolution?

The fact is that the games don't show enough of the "scientific background" behind anything, really, so we can't say "these two Pokemon obviously had a common ancestor" or "this fossil record shows that this Pokemon evolved from this fossil."

Is evolution possible in the Pokemon world? Sure. Do the games give us any reason to believe it exists, one way or another? No.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
eyes glazed like a mirror to heaven