This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gen 2 is the best game in the series by far

#51endergamer537Posted 3/26/2013 7:58:57 PM
ExcIusivity69 posted...
endergamer537 posted...
ExcIusivity69 posted...
FuneralCake posted...
ExcIusivity69 posted...
For the people complaining about Kanto, I'd like to see you guys add a complete Kanto region, along with Johto, and trying to get through the Gameboy Color's hardware limitations.

Are people not allowed to complain about anything unless they can do a better job? That doesn't even make sense.

If you are really good at sports, and some guy who has never threw, or caught a ball in his entire life makes fun of you for missing a basket, you find nothing odd about it?

Making fun of someone and complaining about/ crititcising something are two different concepts.

Fine... Let's say he criticizes you for missing the basket. That's what
I meant, though I thought it was obvious.

It depends. Why was he criticizing me? Was it just to annoy me, or to provide a valid point? If it was just to annoy me, then yeah that isn't really justified. But if he's criticizing me for doing something that was lacking (maybe the angle of my throw was off), then I say yeah. What I'm doing is criticizing the game for a lack of completeness in regards to the region. What I'm doing is providing an argument against people who say that the inclusion of Kanto made the game better. I'm not just trying to troll.
---
Official Miror Infinity Leader with his Forretress
http://i.imgur.com/WvefuGH.jpg?1
#52FuneralCakePosted 3/26/2013 7:59:54 PM
Chaos_Missile posted...
In the other games, the 7th and 8th Gym Leader are on a far different level compared to the previous 6, almost on par with an E4 member, yet is still far from them. Note how powerful the 8th Gym Leader in Kanto, Hoenn, Sinnoh AND Uvova is compared to Johto, with an avg lvl of 45 - 50 compared to Clair's paltry 39 - 42. The only exception in B/W, but those games were somewhat harder overall.

The CHAMPION-level battle in Johto is merely on par with the 8th Gym Leader in other gens. Which makes the Gym Leaders and E4 of Johto...kinda pathetic overall. Especially when you consider the kid trainers in Kanto are far stronger than them. Not Ace, or Vets. KID TRAINERS.

I already addressed that. The low levels don't make the game any less challenging. You should be around the same level as the gym leaders and Elite 4, so it shouldn't be any less difficult than if the Pokemon (yours and theirs) were at level 70.

I agree it doesn't really make sense for the Elite 4 to be lower-leveled than some of the trainers in Kanto, but it's story progression. That's just how it had to be.

On the random encounter side, you got lvl 5 encounters and ace trainers with lvl 20 - 30s at best in an area/part of the game where your team is averaging around lvl 40+.

In addition, I personally did not feel threaten by the entirety of Neo Team Rocket, especially when their strongest trainer only has a Pokemon in the early-30s while you're packing early 40s mon...

If you're talking about Kanto, the trainers usually have Pokemon around 30-35. I can see why it would be bothersome that the local Pokemon are at low levels, but there are other places available with stronger Pokemon.

I do agree that Team Rocket was terrible, though. They were bad in the first game, too, though they at least posed more of a challenge. Personally, I think Team Rocket is probably the biggest issue with gen 2 (and remakes).

ExcIusivity69 posted...
If you are really good at sports, and some guy who has never threw, or caught a ball in his entire life makes fun of you for missing a basket, you find nothing odd about it?

Nope. If someone sucks at something that they do, anyone should be able to criticize it, regardless of their skill level.

Nobody could have done a better job at including two full regions on a GBC cartridge.

That's not true at all.

CM_Ponch posted...
That's no excuse, the space used for Kanto could have been used to flesh out Johto.

Sevii Islands are forgotten about.

Yeah, they could have done that, but GS were meant to be direct sequels to RGBY. I think they wanted to include both regions instead of focus on just one.

And the Sevii Islands also didn't exist back when GS came out, so there's that.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
eyes glazed like a mirror to heaven
#53endergamer537Posted 3/26/2013 8:02:54 PM
FuneralCake posted...
I do agree that Team Rocket was terrible, though. They were bad in the first game, too, though they at least posed more of a challenge. Personally, I think Team Rocket is probably the biggest issue with gen 2 (and remakes).

Team Rocket's battle theme was good though.
---
Official Miror Infinity Leader with his Forretress
http://i.imgur.com/WvefuGH.jpg?1
#54FuneralCakePosted 3/26/2013 8:10:24 PM
This is true.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
eyes glazed like a mirror to heaven
#55Chaos_MissilePosted 3/27/2013 4:19:29 AM
FuneralCake posted...
Chaos_Missile posted...
On the random encounter side, you got lvl 5 encounters and ace trainers with lvl 20 - 30s at best in an area/part of the game where your team is averaging around lvl 40+.

In addition, I personally did not feel threaten by the entirety of Neo Team Rocket, especially when their strongest trainer only has a Pokemon in the early-30s while you're packing early 40s mon...

If you're talking about Kanto, the trainers usually have Pokemon around 30-35. I can see why it would be bothersome that the local Pokemon are at low levels, but there are other places available with stronger Pokemon.

No, I'm taking about Johto

Here's the road before the Victory Road(since Victory Road has no trainers aside from Sliver): http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Kanto_Route_26

Ace Trainers with lvl 30 mons, with the highest at lvl 36.

Victory Road: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Victory_Road_(Kanto)

Most random encounters are also low 30s.

By the time you reach this area, your mons are generally at least low to mid 40s, if not end-30s. Far more powerful than anything there.

Here's Viridian Forest: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Viridian_Forest

Note the lvls of the Bug Catchers in Kanto, generally early-game trainer classes.

They have a min team of mid 40s

What this is implying is that, young Pokemon trainers that are just starting out their journey in Kanto are FAR more powerful than the strongest trainers in Johto and are almost on par with the E4.

That is what we meant by terrible level balance. Going through Johto is like using a Lvl 100 Pokemon through an area filled with Lvl 5 encounters.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008