This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So why do some people not want to be able to transfer?

#11CrabhammarPosted 3/27/2013 8:33:10 AM
CarbideTitan posted...
The speed stat needs to be two different stats. Special speed and Physical speed.

oh jesus no
---
assets18.pokemon.com/assets/cms/img/video-games/pokemonxy/characters/pokemonxy_froakie.jpg
#12jayman7Posted 3/27/2013 8:33:15 AM
pokemega32 posted...
It would allow them to completely revamp the gameplay, equivalent to the changes between Gens II and III.

If they wanted to revamp the gameplay, they could find a way to do it without punishing longtime fans with huge Pokemon collections.

In the third gen they didn't really have a choice; there were no link cables compatible with both Game Boy (Color) and Game Boy Advance games. But there already exist games that can transfer information between DS and 3DS games (examples: Dragon Quest Monsters, or the Pokemon Dream Radar with Black 2/White 2.)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#13Katharina27Posted 3/27/2013 8:44:02 AM
I would be in favor if they changed enough of the game mechanics to require it.. I'm already excited to see their new friendship mechanic in action because apparently, a closer bond with your Pokemon equates to stronger Pokemon.

I'd like to see some of the breeding mechanics change. Maybe allow the male Pokemon to transfer their ability to the baby. I want an Eevee with the Illusion ability. That would be funny as hell! It would also throw the competitive battling scene into a frenzy. Smogon would be banning Pokemon and ability combos right and left. It would make me giggle. It would also make the meta game far less predictable and allow some of the weaker Pokemon to shine.
---
I am guilty of being an insufferable smart ass!
Too many people I know would be perfectly content to burn me for a witch.
#14CakeOfLies(Topic Creator)Posted 3/27/2013 8:45:31 AM
Katharina27 posted...
I would be in favor if they changed enough of the game mechanics to require it.. I'm already excited to see their new friendship mechanic in action because apparently, a closer bond with your Pokemon equates to stronger Pokemon.

I'd like to see some of the breeding mechanics change. Maybe allow the male Pokemon to transfer their ability to the baby. I want an Eevee with the Illusion ability. That would be funny as hell! It would also throw the competitive battling scene into a frenzy. Smogon would be banning Pokemon and ability combos right and left. It would make me giggle. It would also make the meta game far less predictable and allow some of the weaker Pokemon to shine.

Cute Charm Wailord.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#15bwburke94Posted 3/27/2013 8:51:33 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
Katharina27 posted...

Cute Charm Wailord.

As long as the father isn't Skitty, I'd be fine with that. Ten year old joke is old.
---
Systems that block used games are in violation of US and EU laws.
If Micro$oft tries to do it... CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT TIME!
#16BountyanPosted 3/27/2013 8:57:41 AM(edited)
I agree with OP. And you can still have backwards compatibility while introducing new major mechanics. You were able to trade between gen 1 and 2 yet gen 2 introduced two new types, genders, and the split between special attack and special defense.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#17vchu8Posted 3/27/2013 9:06:05 AM
Bountyan posted...
I agree with OP. And you can still have backwards compatibility while introducing new major mechanics. You were able to trade between gen 1 and 2 yet gen 2 introduced two new types, genders, and the split between special attack and special defense.

The thing is, all of those mechanics were based on data already present in the games. Magnemite and Magneton gaining a type, for example, doesn't affect the actual data on a Pokemon by Pokemon basis, it affects the species as a whole. Gender and SpAtk/SpDef were based upon the Pokemon's DVs- the same DV that determined Special in Gen 1 would determine Special Attack and Special Defense in Gen 2, even if the Pokemon now had separate values in the game data for those stats.

That's the key- the game data was different, but the Pokemon data could remain the same. That's how Gen 4 was able to add the Physical/Special split, and how Gen 5 was able to change the EXP formula and some attacks. It wasn't affecting the data of the Pokemon AT ALL, just how the game reads the data.

If the games ever were significantly different enough where the old data was incompatible with the newer games, we wouldn't have the ability to transfer. However, this'll never happen- at this point, we've had 3 straight generations of working with the same data type, and it's better for Game Freak to worry more about other aspects of the game than to change the Pokemon data structure in any significant way.