This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do people consider Jynx racist but not Whimsicott?

#21jamieyelloPosted 3/28/2013 12:56:00 PM
AuroraSonicBeam posted...
I'm sorry but if anything, the Scraggy line is more racist than Whimsicott.

I honestly thought it was a ghetto person. dark/fighting the weird thing was I didn't see anything wrong about it at the time. I was like "dark/fight/loose pants.. oh! its a ghetto person." *keeps playing*
---
It's different again.
#22Dr Edward RoivasPosted 3/28/2013 2:13:35 PM
There's a reason Scraggy/Scrafty is one of the few brightly colored dark types. Avoids a lot of accusations.
---
Tie it on, in your mind. It's your Noctourniquet.
#23iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 3/28/2013 2:21:58 PM

I didn't mention this because I've gotten flamed for it before, but I'm glad someone else see's how that could be interpreted

IrisVile posted...
iKhanic posted...
Catcher_Freeman posted...
Jynx could legitimately be mistaken for a racist caricature by someone who is not familiar with Japanese legends.

Whimiscott is just a ball of cotton with some sheep-like traits. There's nothing racist about it.

It definitely looks like it is based on the American slavery era. It has dark brown skin, its bipedal, and its based on cotton. I'm not saying it IS based on that, but it easily could be mistaken for that just as Jynx could be.

Just, no. Whimiscott is a darling little Ram spirit-esque creature. Jynx is (I'm not good with the Japanese legend names) a Kimono ice spirit, that I assume seduces and eats people. I just thought she was an Opera lady when I was younger.

Like I said, I'm not saying it IS based on the American slavery era, I'm saying it could be interpreted as that. The same way that a Yama-Uba based pokemon was interpreted as a Blackface pokemon
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#24LexifoxPosted 3/28/2013 2:26:34 PM

How?
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#25DoctorJimmy133Posted 3/28/2013 2:30:45 PM
Whimsicott looks more like a gingerbread man than a black person.
Jynx looks more like a ?????? than a black person.

Fill in the blanks!

As to the cotton thing, good god, that is so f***ing ludicrous. I think the only racism is in associating cotton with black people. Cottonee is white. If Cottonee was dark brown, would it be racist? Is Whimsicott obligated to be a lighter color because anything having to do with cotton cannot be dark without being racist? That's awfully restrictive. How about this: Whimsicott is dark brown because that is the typical color of a tree. Trees are more closely associated with cotton that any type of person, right?
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#26MegaWentEvilPosted 3/28/2013 2:37:05 PM
I wonder if there are people that consider Slowpoke and Slowbro offensive to handicapped people...
#27DarkKirby2500Posted 3/28/2013 2:38:51 PM
DoctorJimmy133 posted...
Whimsicott looks more like a gingerbread man than a black person.
Jynx looks more like a ?????? than a black person.

Fill in the blanks!

As to the cotton thing, good god, that is so f***ing ludicrous. I think the only racism is in associating cotton with black people. Cottonee is white. If Cottonee was dark brown, would it be racist? Is Whimsicott obligated to be a lighter color because anything having to do with cotton cannot be dark without being racist? That's awfully restrictive. How about this: Whimsicott is dark brown because that is the typical color of a tree. Trees are more closely associated with cotton that any type of person, right?

Anything can be racist if you want it to be. It's the people making meaningless connections to racism that are the racist ones.

As I said before.

You know it's been proven that many people will go out of their way to enforce to themselves that their established beliefs are correct. An example being if you believe the world at large is racist and trying to "put you down", you will go out of your way to look for how things could be considered racist and ignore evidence it isn't.

You could argue these are stupid people, but either way, there are a lot of them. It doesn't mean this behavior should be encouraged by rewarding it.

This is a joke on it.
http://tinyurl.com/cqo4x4h
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>