This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Pokemon games in general

#1LokiHero2Posted 3/29/2013 1:27:12 PM(edited)
The last Pokemon generation I played was red/blue, and I remember you could basically just powerlevel 1 pokemon and breeze through the game with that 1 pokemon being unstoppable.

I am wondering if it's the same in the newer pokemon games, are you able to beat the game with only leveling 1 pokemon (usually it being your starter pokemon), or do you have to level a "team"?

thanks.
#2Gray_AreasPosted 3/29/2013 1:23:55 PM
LokiHero2 posted...
The last Pokemon generation I played was red/blue, and I remember you could basically just powerlevel 1 pokemon and breeze through the game with that 1 pokemon being unstoppable.

I am wondering if it's the same in the newer pokemon games, are you able to beat the game with only leveling 1 pokemon (usually your starter pokemon), or do you have to level a "team"?

thanks.

You can still do that. But in isn't forced on you. If you want to do that, then have at it. If you'd prefer more of a challenge, then just switch your team members more often.
---
White FC: 4727 7422 4019
Platinum FC: 2063 5286 9480
#3MugilokoPosted 3/29/2013 1:24:07 PM
Anything can pretty much solo the game
---
B1 FC:1807-8830-3725 "Squids are evil!" http://i.imgur.com/ayRpQlZ.png
Official Zoroark of the Pokemon XY board
#4jayman7Posted 3/29/2013 1:26:14 PM
Though keep in mind that the fifth-gen games scale EXP gains to your level in addition to requiring more EXP for each level, and they're probably going to stick to that in the sixth gen... so it's harder to solo the game now than it used to be.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#5LokiHero2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 3:21:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#6Arne83Posted 3/29/2013 3:31:33 PM
Why would you even want to play like that? As they say, "Variety is the spice of life" why stick with one when there are so many different options? Especially considering your pretty limited already with just six.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#7LokiHero2(Topic Creator)Posted 3/29/2013 4:41:18 PM
Well I wouldn't like to play like that, just wanted to know if it's possible. And I think it is kind of lame that it is.
#8jayman7Posted 3/29/2013 4:43:08 PM
The games do discourage it (as I said, scaled EXP gains in the fifth gen). But it's something theoretically possible in many RPGs - Pokémon, in fact, has the advantage of only having one fighter on the field at once most of the time.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#9EnferolunosPosted 3/29/2013 4:45:20 PM
LokiHero2 posted...
Well I wouldn't like to play like that, just wanted to know if it's possible. And I think it is kind of lame that it is.

What's lame about it? The only way RPG's can prevent that sort of thing is level caps, which are typically bad (other than the obvious, final level cap).
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, LM:DM, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#10Arne83Posted 3/29/2013 4:53:56 PM
LokiHero2 posted...

So? It's a video game... stuff like that is always possible in video games.

You can beat Mario with out power-ups.
You can beat Zelda with out getting Heart Containers.
You can beat Final Fantasy VII with out using Materia.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it's a problem.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.