This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Requirements for being a Gym Leader

#1gans626Posted 3/30/2013 3:28:55 PM
I was wondering if there was any source either anime, manga, official website, magazine that stated any requirements it would take to become a gym leader? I'm just wondering what the process was just to get more background on gym leaders.
---
Albert Wesker for President 2016
#2NumberXIPosted 3/30/2013 3:30:52 PM
One of the games mentioned going to Trainer school. I guess that's one option since Pokémon isn't the most consistent/concept-solid of series.
#3VoidEnvoyPosted 3/30/2013 3:32:54 PM
gans626 posted...
I was wondering if there was any source either anime, manga, official website, magazine that stated any requirements it would take to become a gym leader? I'm just wondering what the process was just to get more background on gym leaders.

Well in the manga there was a rigorous battle-exam you had to go through to qualify, though they didn't specify if there were any other requirements. Red took the exam, and since Blue became a gym leader they both must have met whatever requirements there are. Still, said requirements aren't really written down anywhere for us to see.
---
Roughly the size of a barge! -Gaston
#4MaetchPosted 3/30/2013 4:13:46 PM(edited)
The best I can figure is based on the anime episode "Showdown in Dark City": you make an application for the job and the Pokémon League secretly sends someone out to evaluate whether or not you're fit for Gym status. Just being powerful isn't a qualification, as they also test you for the attitude you have towards training and whether or not you have the needed empathy towards Pokémon (which was what the Yas and Kas gyms failed at).

The League also occasionally holds inspections on Gyms to make sure they're up-to-code. One of the Chronicles episodes had Misty freaking out over her Gym's upcoming inspection and fearing that it would get shut down.
#5gans626(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 6:59:45 PM
Ok but now I'm wondering what type of restrictions the place on gym leaders, like how strong pokemon they can use, cause on one hand they need to being challenging but not too challenging especaily vs trainers first starting out.
---
#6endergamer537Posted 3/30/2013 7:03:52 PM
gans626 posted...
Ok but now I'm wondering what type of restrictions the place on gym leaders, like how strong pokemon they can use, cause on one hand they need to being challenging but not too challenging especaily vs trainers first starting out.

Cheren has to use a Lillipup instead of his normal team members, so yeah
---
Official Miror Infinity Leader with his Escavalier
http://i.imgur.com/WvefuGH.jpg?1
#7gans626(Topic Creator)Posted 3/30/2013 7:22:51 PM
You think the Gym leaders take in consideration how many badges a trainer has before they battle. Say a trainer has 0 badges vs 7 badges, they have different teams based on those situtations cause not everyone is going to go same path in the games, like Brock, Misty, Surge, Erika, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, Givoni
---
#8Skull_proPosted 3/30/2013 7:26:05 PM
endergamer537 posted...
gans626 posted...

Cheren has to use a Lillipup instead of his normal team members, so yeah

That and mention not being able to use his usual team later on.
---
Married to Clay, Driftveil city's gym leader
Official Roserade of the Pokemon X/Y boards
#9MaetchPosted 3/30/2013 9:04:51 PM
gans626 posted...
You think the Gym leaders take in consideration how many badges a trainer has before they battle. Say a trainer has 0 badges vs 7 badges, they have different teams based on those situtations cause not everyone is going to go same path in the games, like Brock, Misty, Surge, Erika, Koga, Sabrina, Blaine, Givoni

In games that allow it, Gym Leaders have separate teams of much stronger Pokémon reserved for rematches against you. They're set under the presumption that you've already beaten the Elite Four and Champion and thus require a higher level of challenge from them compared to when you were originally fighting for Badges.

So yes, I would think that they do take opponents' levels into account.
#10Dark_Link92Posted 3/31/2013 4:21:56 AM
A couple of people are mentioned to have inherited Gyms from family, so I'm not sure how that fits in.
---
Pokemon Black- FC: 0003 3185 8262
Monster Hunter Tri, ID:71YAXZ -EU Server!