This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should Pokemon be able to evolve mid battle?

#1Fr33zPosted 4/1/2013 12:47:27 AM
Just like in the anime. I think it'd be a neat mechanic, it'd be fun to be fighting and losing then all of the sudden your Pokemon evolves halfway through, learns a new move, and tides turn(Pretty much like in the anime). Of course they'd probably have to ramp up the difficulty a bit more so that you wouldn't be clowning through every fight(Pokemon B/W did a good job of preventing this to an extent)

Maybe also change it so you get a % of experience for every attack/move rather than a lump sum after defeating them that way they could literally evolve mid battle rather than inbetween Pokemon switching.

Like say:
- 5% of total experience for a Stat boost/decreasing move (i.e Swords Dance, Growl)
- 10% for Status inflicting move (i.e PoisonPowder, Stun Spore)
- 10-20% for Damaging moves based on its effectiveness/damage dealt.

Of course defeating the Pokemon would also give you the remaining lump sum and things like exp share/switch training would be accounted for to work.
---
NNID: Illuminatis
Current Systems: PSP, PS3, Wii, WiiU, DS, 3DS
#2TenzhiPosted 4/1/2013 12:55:00 AM
It might be neat to have a specific Pokemon who can only evolve (or that has a special evolution) by being defeated or at low HP in battle after a certain level. I think it'd be a bit odd if every Pokemon could do it, though.
---
Often, when you try too hard to act superior, the opposite occurs.
#3Callista08Posted 4/1/2013 5:33:41 AM
Only thing that should happen is evolutions should happen mid-battle. Seeing as how they don't gain experience in online battles it shouldn't be a problem to implement.

Unlike the other poster who wants to make a whole mechanic around it, it should just be the flat amount. All or nothing, the only time they evolve should be if they are knocked out and should regain half their full health back as to not make it something that can be used to sweep gyms.

Nothing upsets me more than finally reaching evolution level and my pokemon gets knocked out. Especially if I needed them to evolve at that level.
---
Pokemon Black FC: 3653-9864-6035
Pokemon White FC: 4641-8614-2897 (5th Gen Edits only)