This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Primal Force's OU Viability Tiers

#1primal_forcePosted 4/1/2013 4:05:05 PM
Hello, everybody! I am Primal Force, and in this topic I will share my thoughts on Pokemon OU Tier Viability. Now, this may already sound familiar to you. There is a topic like this already on Smogon. However, I, as well as some other competitive battlers, have a few issues with that list and how certain Pokemon are tiered. This is my own personal attempt to "fix" some of those issues. This is by no means definitive, or for that matter even superior to the list already available on Smogon. The point of this list is to share my thoughts with the rest of the competitive battling community, and hopefully shed some insight on why some of the top threats deserve to be called so.

Now, before I share the actual tier list, there are a couple of things I would like to mention. There is a stricter cut off on my tier list than the one posted by PK Gaming on Smogon. I feel as though having a stricter cut off is necessary, as this suggests more strongly how high each Pokemon actually rank. Also note that these Pokemon are not randomly ordered. I did my best to actually place them in order from "best" to "worst," although I already know problems may arise from trying to do so. I will say that I am quite happy with the ordering of the S, A, and B rank tiers. In that regard, it is safe to say that as the tiers get lower, the ordering becomes less cemented and is more open to change.

As for how I decided what should go where, I began by setting a combined fifteen Pokemon cut off for the S and A rank tiers. From there, I placed the Pokemon in terms of effectiveness. Needless to say, the S rank tier was the easiest to work on, due to how small it is. For the A rank tier, I simply listed the Pokemon which I felt should be considered A rank, and then from there they were ordered in terms of several different aspects: how well the Pokemon can perform by itself, how beneficial and supportive the Pokemon can be for your team, and how many roles that Pokemon can effectively perform. This trend continued on down from the A rank tier straight to the D rank tier. I felt it necessary to include defensively oriented Pokemon in each tier to add a sort of "balance" as well as to show that aggressiveness is not the only rewardable style of play. Offensive threats in each tier were ranked based on how well they could out perform other offensive threats in the same tier. Defensive Pokemon were ranked based on the different types of roles they could fill on a team, and whether or not they needed to compete for that role with other defensive Pokemon.

This tier list is the result of my entire competitive experience from playing Black and White, as well as Black and White 2 since they were each released. Over that time, I have played many different types of teams and have more or less used all of these Pokemon to a great enough degree that I can actually rank them on their effectiveness. I am going to be very open to suggestions here, and hopefully, with your help and feedback, together we can shape this into something even more perfect!
---
http://www.primalforce.net/
#2primal_force(Topic Creator)Posted 4/1/2013 4:08:34 PM(edited)
S rank:
Garchomp
Ferrothorn
Politoed
Keldeo

A rank:
Landorus-I
Rotom-W
Breloom
Jirachi
Tyranitar
Heatran
Scizor
Terrakion
Starmie
Latios
Latias

B rank:
Landorus-T
Thundurus-T
Tornadus-I
Celebi
Alakazam
Hippowdon
Skarmory
Toxicroak
Ninetales
Venusaur
Magnezone
Lucario
Stoutland
Zapdos
Volcarona

C rank:
Kingdra
Gengar
Gliscor
Bronzong
Gyarados
Salamence
Hydreigon
Kyurem-B
Tentacruel
Jellicent
Mew
Reuniclus
Mamoswine
Blissey
Chansey
Sharpedo
Cloyster
Infernape
Conkeldurr
Heracross

D rank:
Slowbro
Virizion
Forretress
Kyurem
Haxorus
Azelf
Cresselia
Xatu
Espeon
Abomasnow
Weavile
Mienshao
Vaporeon
Gastrodon
Jolteon
Dugtrio
Roserade
Amoonguss
Wobbuffet
Donphan
Hitmontop
Ditto
Zoroark
Ninjask
Smeargle
---
http://www.primalforce.net/
#3pokemon2pokerPosted 4/1/2013 4:20:01 PM
I'm curious to see the direction you'd take with a triples team.
---
Pocket deuces will carry me through
#4MugilokoPosted 4/1/2013 4:21:46 PM
E rank with Metagross pl0x
---
B1 FC:1807-8830-3725 "Squids are evil!" http://i.imgur.com/ayRpQlZ.png
Official Zoroark of the Pokemon XY board
#5Rad_DudesmanPosted 4/1/2013 4:23:13 PM
Garchomp and Ferrothorn are too high.
#6wahaha911Posted 4/1/2013 4:23:15 PM
Oh boo I don't want to become smogon
---
---
Asianwide is on yo side!!!
#7protobakurionPosted 4/1/2013 4:26:03 PM
You have got to be ****ing kidding me.
---
---
Team Miror B Admin. Official Porygon Z of the Pokemon X/Y Boards.
#8wahaha911Posted 4/1/2013 4:27:13 PM
protobakurion posted...
You have got to be ****ing kidding me.
---

Happy April Foolz!!!
---
---
#9EstheimasterPosted 4/1/2013 4:27:38 PM
So much to look at with just so little time! I'm not going to pretend that I have extensive knowledge of OU (I've played Pokemon Online a little for about 3 years but am no expert at all), but I guess I'll voice my opinions about some of these. There's so much here, so for this post I'll only look at S, with an A one possibly in the future.

primal_force posted...
S rank:
Garchomp
Ferrothorn
Politoed
Keldeo

Garchomp isn't the offensive threat he used to be, but he's not bad. The Sand Veil loss was annoying, but he's still workable without it. Rough Skin is a decent, if not preferable ability for anyone not planning on using a Sandstorm team. With his power I'd say he's earned his top spot- I sort of wish he could head back to OU to give the other Dragons a better shot (my favorites Hydreigon and Haxorus), but I will say that he's not super-unfair.

Ferrothorn does have lots of utility, but personally I think he's overrated. I usually always carry with me a fire type move or Focus Blast which can OHKO him. His biggest plus is Rain being able to save him. Without rain, he's much more frail. I think he should be below Politoed, but I guess that's because I've always had a counter to Ferrothorn alone.

Politoed has earned his spot. In fact, I'd almost put him #1 when I'm in some moods. He single-handedly revolutionized the tier. He's not good himself, but the doors he opens for Rain teams is impressive.

Keldeo is an odd one. I personally am against the use of any Legendaries in competitive battling- I guess to make them more unique and make it seem more like the anime (ignoring the super-troll Darkrai in the Sinnoh league). I'll ignore that for now. When Genosect was OU, I called for him to be taken out right away- he had way too many near-perfect setups. I thought the same about Keldeo, but I decided to allow him after a while. He is definitely counter-able, but at the same time he's well suited to deal with most counters. Alone he's great, but I would place him below some other OU Legendaries. With Rain, however, he becomes terrifying and is what makes me fear Legendaries in the tier. Since your list is showing the prominence of Rain this Gen, I would agree with his spot here.

Just letting you know, you may get some trash from the butthurt non-competitive players who laugh at any form of competitive battling (inb4 lolsmogon). As a fan of the series, I believe that all exposure Pokemon gets is good exposure, and if people want to battle competitively, let them.
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
#10wahaha911Posted 4/1/2013 4:31:11 PM
LOLSMOGON
Yeah I do battle competitively
I dislike smogon cuz the elitists and others BUT NOT ALL are prissy jerks
And I rarely do OU I mostly use RU
---
---