This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sylveon's type speculation thread

#1necromencer3227Posted 4/2/2013 3:12:05 AM
Post ITT all of your theories about Sylveon's typing, here are the possible outcomes:

Possible (* indicated most popular)

Normal*
Ghost
Flying*
Bug*
Dragon
Poison
New type*

Unlikely (* indicates most unlikely)

Ground*
Rock*
Fighting*
Steel

In this introductory post, I'll talk about the most common arguments that support each of the most popular types.

Normal: It is argued that this could be eevees 'normal' evolution, based on gender (in this case female), backed up by its ambiguity in design.

Flying: By far, one of the most popular theories. Its ribbons and whimsicalness suggests that it 'floats' and thus is a flying type. In addition, people claim that its name derives from a sylph, a mythological entity related to air

New type: People call it love, others fairy or magic. Lots of debate here. Mainly by the fact that his type is enigmatic in the first place.

Bug: This is my personal favourite. I'll post my theory and see if others like it:

Eevolutions are always closely related to their name so my theory is based purely on this fact, not the physical appearance of Sylveon.

Sylveon is divided into two parts: 1) Sylv and 2) -eon I'll be looking at the first part.

Sylv = Silv (the I (i) and Y are interchangeable)

Silva is a forest in Latin. More info on the etymology of Sylv

http://wordinfo.info/units/view/2072/page:2/ip:14/il:S

Thus, instinctively, I want Sylveon to be a grass type, but that is impossible so the next candidate is bug.

In addition, the Japanese name suggest puppa (Nymphs)
*Note that Sylv could also be silver and thus Steel type (?)

Thoughts? Ideas? What do you think?

(Please don't post that Sylveon = Sylph, otherwise I'll be inclined to post a large 'essay' on the phonology of ph and v.
#2Arne83Posted 4/2/2013 3:21:51 AM
I hate the logic leap from "forest" to "bug type". It makes no sense to me.

And just because you mentioned it... I really do believe that the "Sylv" in Sylveon is from "Sylph". Don't like it? You're free to file a complaint with someone that actually gives a damn.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#3necromencer3227(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 3:37:00 AM
Arne83 posted...
I hate the logic leap from "forest" to "bug type". It makes no sense to me.

And just because you mentioned it... I really do believe that the "Sylv" in Sylveon is from "Sylph". Don't like it? You're free to file a complaint with someone that actually gives a damn.

Did your mother die in a car crash today? Why are you so negative?.

If you think that Sylv = Sylph you have no understand of English phonetics and you're blinded by ignorance. Tell me why Sylv = Sylph with good arguments and convince me, instead of giving an offensive attitude.

Yes, the leap from forest to bug is quite large, but if you read the link I sent you (I imagine you didn't for obvious reasons) you'd see that sylv- actually is related to a plethora of things related to agriculture and bug related things.

I've posted my arguments, where are yours? This is you:

Me: That car is red
You: No
Me: look at it, it's red, why don't you agree?
You: Shut ap n00b, lol tolk 2 sumbody hu gives a dam lel l33t
#4BountyanPosted 4/2/2013 4:22:45 AM(edited)
I'm in the new type camp.

-possible biology theme makes it a good time to introduce a new type
-the hype gamefreak is making about Sylveon's type as opposed to simply not mentioning it like Xerneas and Yveltal
-doesn't look very obviously like one type like every other eeveelution
-name through every language doesn't very obviously reference one type like every other eeveelution

I'm thinking they're going to introduce a fairy type to separate the normal types like Clefairy, Chansey, Meloetta, and so on, from the actual more "normal" normal types like Lillipup, Rattata, etc

I really don't understand the flying type arguments at all. Sylveon hasn't been shown flying, floating, or gliding in the gameplay footage or the anime trailer. Just about every flying type actually has some sort of ability to fly or float. Representing wind or having ribbons blowing in the air isn't enough to be flying type. Not to mention only ONE flying type out of the tons is pure flying type. So basically people are suggesting this Pokemon that hasn't even been shown flying or floating is going to be pure flying type? Ridiculous if you ask me. I almost find Bug more believable at that point.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#5BenifyPosted 4/2/2013 4:17:18 AM
Dragon type because it has fangs.

END OF DISCUSSION
---
Pokemon White FC: 0948 5189 2763
#6Arne83Posted 4/2/2013 4:26:09 AM
Benify posted...
Dragon type because it has fangs.

END OF DISCUSSION

Umbreon has fangs. Your argument fails.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#7KitschgardenerPosted 4/2/2013 4:39:17 AM

If you think that Sylv = Sylph you have no understand of English phonetics and you're blinded by ignorance. Tell me why Sylv = Sylph with good arguments and convince me, instead of giving an offensive attitude.

It's called "voicing" and is a fairly normal alteration in Japanese, and occasionally English. Hence Dodrio (from dodo+trio), Rampardos (from rampart) and Garchomp (from Carcharhiniformes, order of ground sharks).
#8TheGaijinPosted 4/2/2013 4:41:08 AM
Sylveon's type speculation thread #453

/fixed that for you
---
Final Fantasy XIV - Larek Darkholme @ Masamune
#9necromencer3227(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 5:10:57 AM
Kitschgardener posted...

It's called "voicing" and is a fairly normal alteration in Japanese, and occasionally English. Hence Dodrio (from dodo+trio), Rampardos (from rampart) and Garchomp (from Carcharhiniformes, order of ground sharks).

Yes, I am aware of that, but we're dealing with an eon, whose name is directly related with what it is, hence why I'm being so picky about it being a V instead of a PH.

(examples: Rhydon = Rhidon = Rhino, and your example of Rampardos- Rampart)

Now what I said earlier, every eon's identity is in its name. IF they wanted it to be related with a Sylph then I can imagine that they would have just called it Sylpheon directly, but they didn't. Yes, you could argue that ph is the unvoiced v and that the V is used for stylistic effect, but I don't really see that happening here.

Main thing to look at here is the pokemon as part of a unique group within the series not on all of them, thus if we were to make comparisons with other pokemon, it should only be with other eevee evolutions, generally.
#10Lone_HunterPosted 4/2/2013 5:13:59 AM
I highly doubt there being a new type. The only reason they introduced the new types in Gen II is because Ghost and Psychic were OP, and the way I see it now there is no reason to add a new type because no type is OP.

That being said I have that it is a Normal type evo since the moment I saw the first picture of it.
---
~Elite Divided Guild Leader / TFC: Street Fighter / PBL: Wiseman~
FC: (W)1249-2194-5577 (W2)2924-7521-0718