This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Smogon is..

#1Toasty_KabalPosted 4/2/2013 10:01:00 AM
A resource for competitive play. It doesn't ask anything of you. Bashing a free resource that has legitimate use makes no sense. If your problem is a dislike for the current tiers, then you make a fair and balanced tier list that everyone agrees with.

I honestly don't understand the hate. Is it just a dislike for competitive play in general? Or are there really people that want sand veil, bright powder, double team Garchomp?
---
PSN: TheLoneCthulhu
#2ColtCababaPosted 4/2/2013 10:06:52 AM
Well, Smogon does state that Ninetales sucks in every way, and the only use for it is Drought. One reason why I can sometimes dislike Smogon. I just hate it when they have to criticize Pokemon like that.

They also banned Swift Swim + Drizzle, but not Chlorophyll + Drought, which makes absolutely no sense at all.

But, I have to give it to them, they gave plenty of merits to Crawdaunt's usefulness this Gen, which is one of, if not, my favorite Pokemon. In general, my complaints would be gone if Smogon weren't so judgemental and blinded at times.
---
Official Shadow Crawdaunt of the Pokemon X/Y Boards and Team Miror Infinity
Movie of the Year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhoepQrxbfc
#3MrFingers07Posted 4/2/2013 10:21:30 AM(edited)
Is it just a dislike for competitive play in general?

Mostly.

Also from what I've seen people just don't know what tiers are or what they do. They get offended when their favorite Pokemon is NU/RU when it's not even Smogon that makes those kind of decisions. Also from what I've seen they think they're forced to play those rules or something.
---
:D Brawlin' Mains: R.O.B., Lucario, Pikachu, Wolf
#4ThatKippPosted 4/2/2013 10:11:15 AM(edited)
They also banned Swift Swim + Drizzle, but not Chlorophyll + Drought, which makes absolutely no sense at all.

Swift Swim goes to mostly Water-types, which means that in the rain they get a STAB boost and a Speed boost. Chlorophyll goes to mostly Grass-types, which means that they get the Speed boost, but no STAB boost.
---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X board+Only member of my one-man team
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#5MrFingers07Posted 4/2/2013 10:08:59 AM

And they make comments like this.

Like cmon bro, I'm not a good competitive battler but how can you say that doesn't make any sense?
---
:D Brawlin' Mains: R.O.B., Lucario, Pikachu, Wolf
#6MarbychuPosted 4/2/2013 10:10:10 AM
No, Smogon is teh devil.
---
Official Team Miror Infinity Admin!!! Shadow Pokemon: Pikagod!
#7ThatKippPosted 4/2/2013 10:10:52 AM(edited)
Plus the whole "somgon iz teh deval" thing was a joke in the first place...
---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X board+Only member of my one-man team
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#8DarkDragon386Posted 4/2/2013 10:15:27 AM
Well, Smogon does state that Ninetales sucks in every way, and the only use for it is Drought. One reason why I can sometimes dislike Smogon. I just hate it when they have to criticize Pokemon like that.

But, that's only certain people from Smogon writing the analysis and articles. It sucks sometimes. If you really want to use something they say sucks, find a novel way to use it successfully. But, I'll agree with that. But, like I said, you can't blame that on the website. You have to chalk that up to some of the elitists on the site. And honestly, the resource value of the website outweighs some of the negativity, imo.

Because Chlorophyll users are grass whom are hurt defensively by the sun. If you have a good fire that can take a hit and use a fire move in return, than chlorophyll really isn't a problem. Sun powers up a chlorophyll user's weakness.

However, with swift swim, most (I think all, but I won't say that) are water type. Not only do they get double speed, but they get power added onto their STAB thanks to the rain. Something Chlorophyll users don't enjoy. Most Chlorophyll users really only have HP fire that isn't STAB boosted.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#9DarkDragon386Posted 4/2/2013 10:16:57 AM
MrFingers07 posted...
Is it just a dislike for competitive play in general?

Mostly.

Also form what I've people just don't know what tier are. They get offended when their favorite Pokemon is NU/RU when it's not even Smogon that makes those kind of decisions. Also from what I've seen they think they're forced to play those rules or something.

This. Especially the Zardboys.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#10MalkyeaImbakPosted 4/2/2013 10:18:43 AM
smogon seems biased at times..and their ban lists are becoming out of hand as of late. AND B4 omg you don't have to follow smogon...Majority of the battling community battle by smogon rules (hell standard is smogon rules) and you will get bashed unless you tell them before hand..hey I'm using Blaze Blaziken (which kind of kills the point of bringing pokemon your opponent don't expect)

By biased..I mean teh swift swim + drizzle ban..reason water pokemon get dual stab (well beartic and armaldo do not..why are they not allowed?) chrophyll + drought is the same as beartic and armaldo in drizzle to be honest.

Next the bans of tornadus T and Deoxy D is just terrible but meh (hell i'd argue for excadrill, blaziken, and thunderus though..i do agree now blaziken is kind of OP)

Why the hell is sand viel/snow cloak banned as a whole? why not just ban snow clok + snow warning and Sand Viel + sandstream? If someone actually takes the time to set up a legitamate hail/sand storm they deserve to take advantage of the pokemon who can make use of these abilities. Also it adds sort of a counter to sandstream spammers (carry a sand viel garchomp on a non sandstorm team..run into a sandstream team..yeah)