This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Starmie has the worst case of 4 move slot syndrome ever.

#11iKhanicPosted 4/2/2013 1:42:18 PM
DBF__ posted...
First, usually Starmie is used to rapid spin. But Starmie is pretty frail and can't switch in on neutral hits very well. You'd like to give it Cosmic Power or recover to help that problem. But then attacks are needed otherwise Starmie is pointless. Do you use Thunderbolt/Ice Beam? What about Surf? Then Psychic and Grass Knot are also good moves, so is HP Fire.

Too many moves, not enough slots.

That's the calamity of ever sweeper with a big move set. Especially for Psychic types because they have both offensive and defensive options.

Alakazam and Espeon would love to have more than 4 moveslots. They they could set up screens, run recovery moves, have boosting moves, and run sweeping sets at the same time.

Charizard has that issue as well. He has a great movepool with physical and special options, but you only have enough slots for one of them, and you might want to save a spot for Roost.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#12Cpt_CalamityPosted 4/2/2013 1:46:08 PM
lyle81992 posted...
The ideal moveset for Starmie would be:
Recover/Rapid Spin
Psychic
Scald/Surf/Hydro Pump
Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball

Speaking of which should I go with Rapid Spin or Recover?

Psychic as a must on the set? Yes, ideal moveset for sure.
---
Where is my desk?
#13nro87Posted 4/2/2013 1:52:40 PM
Yeah. Imagine Alakazam with Psychic, Psyshock, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Calm Mind, Recover, Light Screen, and Reflect.

Or Volcarona with Fiery Dance, Quiver Dance, Hurricane, Giga Drain, Roost, Hidden Power Rock/Ice, Psychic, and Bug Buzz.

Or any other sweeper with a wide move pool. Pretty much all sweepers have way more than 4 moves that are good together. Starmie definitely doesn't have it the worst.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#14Faust_8Posted 4/2/2013 1:57:08 PM
Gotta admit, when Starmie already has STAB Surf/Hydro Pump/Scald at its disposal, STAB Psychic doesn't really have much point. It only hits Fighting and Poison for double damage, which isn't great coverage compared to the coverage other moves would give.

Unless you really, really needed an answer to Fighting types I wouldn't go with a Psychic attack.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#15Cpt_CalamityPosted 4/2/2013 1:57:24 PM
Jolteon has the worst case of 4 move slot syndrome ever.

Thunderbolt
Thunder
Discharge
Volt Switch
Charge Beam
Thunderwave
HP Ice
Shadow Ball
Signal Beam
Substitute
Protect
Yawn
Wish
Agility
Baton Pass
---
Where is my desk?
#16Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/5/2013 3:54:17 PM
This is why I wish they'd increase the moveset size to six.
#17Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 4/5/2013 3:55:15 PM
thats a funny way of spelling mew/jirachi/celebi
---
imanalt.