This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Who's the hardest Gym Leader?

#21scorpio_44Posted 4/2/2013 5:35:15 PM
Gen 1 Sabrina. I mean she was the reason dark and steel were added.
---
Staying on topic on a Gfaqs board is like Toronto making the playoffs.....it rarely happens.
Xeosaga
#226bananzaPosted 4/2/2013 5:39:57 PM
iKhanic posted...
Other: Brock

He's the rock type gym leader, he has to be the hardest.

But even seriously, its Brock. He changes the course of events for Yellow. You HAVE to catch a Mankey, Nidoran, or evolve a Butterfree if you want a chance against Brock.

I'd probably say the 2nd hardest Gym Leader is Jasmine. I got crushed by her Steelix so many times.

Of course, it's only hard for you because you chose Charmander (obviously).
Squirtle can easily KO all his Pokemon.
---
Official member of Miror Infinity. Head of Shiny Research with an Articuno. http://i.imgur.com/PIMfmML.png http://i.imgur.com/WvefuGH.jpg?1
#23iKhanicPosted 4/2/2013 5:47:03 PM
6bananza posted...
iKhanic posted...

But even seriously, its Brock. He changes the course of events for Yellow. You HAVE to catch a Mankey, Nidoran, or evolve a Butterfree if you want a chance against Brock.

I'd probably say the 2nd hardest Gym Leader is Jasmine. I got crushed by her Steelix so many times.

Of course, it's only hard for you because you chose Charmander (obviously).
Squirtle can easily KO all his Pokemon.

You clearly didn't read the whole thing. I have never had Charmander as a starter and probably never will. In fact, I actually like Squirtle itself more than Charmander itself. Yellow was my first game, and that's why Brock was hard for me.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#24Jarred623Posted 4/2/2013 5:47:05 PM
iKhanic posted...
CrystalKing5426 posted...
iKhanic posted...

I remember my first time fighting him in Yellow (my first Pokemon game ever), I beat him spamming Pikachu's Quick Attack and Tail Whip, though I had to use 3 Potions. So yeah, first time ever playing a Pokemon game as a dumb 6-year old, I solo'd him with Pikachu. That said, those Pokes you listed aren't that hard to find or train. and the flagship games of Gen I have 2 out of 3 starters that ROFLstomp him. Even FR/LG made a lot more painless for Charmander by giving him Metal Claw.

I meant specifically Yellow version Brock. And I was going more off of my original experience having to train a Butterfree up so that it can handle Brock.

But more objectively I've gotta say Jasmine.

Butterfree? Why the HELL would you not use a Mankey?
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. Twice.
#25iKhanicPosted 4/2/2013 5:53:55 PM(edited)
Jarred623 posted...
iKhanic posted...
iKhanic posted...

I remember my first time fighting him in Yellow (my first Pokemon game ever), I beat him spamming Pikachu's Quick Attack and Tail Whip, though I had to use 3 Potions. So yeah, first time ever playing a Pokemon game as a dumb 6-year old, I solo'd him with Pikachu. That said, those Pokes you listed aren't that hard to find or train. and the flagship games of Gen I have 2 out of 3 starters that ROFLstomp him. Even FR/LG made a lot more painless for Charmander by giving him Metal Claw.

I meant specifically Yellow version Brock. And I was going more off of my original experience having to train a Butterfree up so that it can handle Brock.

I was 7 years old...
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#26InsanititiousPosted 4/2/2013 5:58:42 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
Behold...
The face of evil!
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/e/e1/HeartGold_SoulSilver_Whitney.png/388px-HeartGold_SoulSilver_Whitney.png

Dem bombs.
---
Official Gothitelle of the Pokemon XY Board & Married to Loli of the Year, Marley.
"How was that Water Temple?"
#27CrystalKing5426(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 6:03:39 PM
iKhanic posted...
Jarred623 posted...
iKhanic posted...
iKhanic posted...

I was 7 years old...

Butterfree might actually be better, considering Onix's monstrous Defense. While it's 4x rock weakness is glaring, Confusion could still 2-shot him, and the AI is dumb enough to not immediately use Rock Throw. Actually, I just checked on Serebii, and none of Brock's Pokemon in Gen 1 Know a rock-type move. So yeah, Butterfree sweeps in Yellow, but odds are a 6-8 year old aren't aware of each Pokemon's Stats.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4014/5138578909_05b321131a_z.jpg
#28scraadinPosted 4/2/2013 6:15:19 PM
Yeah, I gotta agree with Brock too. Back in RB, if you took Charmander, you were pretty much hosed unless you trained a Butterfree to the point of Confusion.

I hadn't.

My first time beating Brock, I KOed him with a Butterfree who's only move was Harden.

I struggled him to death.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.
#29ragefan187Posted 4/2/2013 6:24:38 PM
Gen 1 Sabrina
Gen 2 Clair
Gen 3 Norman and Tate/Liza close second
#30EpsteinBarrPosted 4/2/2013 6:25:27 PM
Even with Charmander, Brock was easy. His Pokemon's special stats were so low even ember could do some good damage on them.