This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking into competitive battling - how to EV train?

#1pojrPosted 4/2/2013 5:18:37 PM
I've been a big fan of Pokemon since 1998 when it first came out in the US. To showcase my devotion, I own every generation of Pokemon games, from Blue to White.

I've always wanted to try competitive Pokemon battling because it would be a lot of fun, but there's one thing that's holding me back: EV training. Simply put, I have no idea how to do it. A level 100 Pokemon has EV's that are spread all over the place because I don't know how to EV train the thing properly!

Wit the release of X and Y soon, I'm stoked. I'm probably going to buy a 3DS just for this game, since they're probably not releasing it on the regular DS. With that said, I really need to learn how to do it.

I've read many different guides on how to EV train. They helped, but I'm still 100% sure how to do it. From what I've learned, here's all the things I do know about EV training:

1. You gain 4 EV's in one of your stats when you beat a Pokemon.
2. There are items that make your EV training easier, like the Macho Brace which I think doubles your EV gains from 4 to 8.
3. There are natures that increase your stats. For an example, a physically defensive Pokemon should use Impish as their nature since it multiplies their defense by 1.5 and their special attack by 0.5, provided that they have a higher physical attack.
4. The 4 EV's you gained will go to the stat that's the highest on the Pokemon you just defeated. For an example, if you beat an Alakazam, you will gain 4 EV's in your special attack. If you beat a Cloyster, you will gain 4 EV's in your defense.

That's just about all I know about EV's. I'm willing to learn, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
---
Paparoachfan42 is a gentleman and a scholar and I loveded him so much.
#2DarkDragon386Posted 4/2/2013 5:37:31 PM
1. You gain 4 EV's in one of your stats when you beat a Pokemon.

No. You get 1-3 EVs depending on what you defeated.

3. There are natures that increase your stats. For an example, a physically defensive Pokemon should use Impish as their nature since it multiplies their defense by 1.5 and their special attack by 0.5, provided that they have a higher physical attack.

That's just a .9X or a 1.1X on the stats.

4. The 4 EV's you gained will go to the stat that's the highest on the Pokemon you just defeated. For an example, if you beat an Alakazam, you will gain 4 EV's in your special attack. If you beat a Cloyster, you will gain 4 EV's in your defense.

Not necessarily. It's a general trend that you get EVs based on the dominant stat, but it's not always the case.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#3DarkDragon386Posted 4/2/2013 5:40:55 PM
Here's a list of what you get per battle.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_effort_value_yield

So, defeating a Lillipup will give you 1 Att EV. Defeating a Herdier yields 2 Att EVs.

Also, everything that battled that Pokemon gains EVs and it's not split, unlike experience.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#4pojr(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 5:52:15 PM
Looks like I have a long way to go. I didn't get anything right.

DarkDragon386, I like the link you posted. Since 255 is the maximum about of EV's you can put into a stat, that means that, if I wanted a Tangela with max HP max defense at level 100, then all I would have to do is beat Nidoqueen 84 times and Golem 84 times (since you get 3 EV's from both of them)

I think?
---
#5UltimaZangetsuPosted 4/2/2013 5:55:13 PM
pojr posted...
Looks like I have a long way to go. I didn't get anything right.

DarkDragon386, I like the link you posted. Since 255 is the maximum about of EV's you can put into a stat, that means that, if I wanted a Tangela with max HP max defense at level 100, then all I would have to do is beat Nidoqueen 84 times and Golem 84 times (since you get 3 EV's from both of them)

I think?

255 may be the highest an EV can be, but 252 is the highest EVs effectively go. The extra 3 points do absolutely nothing.
---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
#6DarkDragon386Posted 4/2/2013 6:01:17 PM(edited)
Yeah, I meant to mention that.

4 EVs is equal to one stat point. Thus, 252 will get an extra 63 in one stat. With those 6 points, you could get 1 stat point out of something else.

Also, depending on what you play, there are EV hotspots to train at from wild Pokemon.
---
#7jayman7Posted 4/2/2013 6:02:10 PM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64612734
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#8pojr(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 6:05:40 PM
Oh okay, so the extra 6 EV's can be used for something else entirely?

I also heard that you get a total of 510 EV's for a Pokemon, so maxing 252 in HP and 252 in defense would result in 10 free EV's for something else, I think.
---
#9jayman7Posted 4/2/2013 6:08:09 PM
pojr posted...
Oh okay, so the extra 6 EV's can be used for something else entirely?

I also heard that you get a total of 510 EV's for a Pokemon, so maxing 252 in HP and 252 in defense would result in 10 free EV's for something else, I think.

Put 252 + 252 into a calculator and tell me what you get.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#10pojr(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 6:11:46 PM
504. Is that the total amount of EV's you get? I thought it was 510.
---