This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Looking into competitive battling - how to EV train?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Looking into competitive battling - how to EV train?
3 years ago#1
I've been a big fan of Pokemon since 1998 when it first came out in the US. To showcase my devotion, I own every generation of Pokemon games, from Blue to White.

I've always wanted to try competitive Pokemon battling because it would be a lot of fun, but there's one thing that's holding me back: EV training. Simply put, I have no idea how to do it. A level 100 Pokemon has EV's that are spread all over the place because I don't know how to EV train the thing properly!

Wit the release of X and Y soon, I'm stoked. I'm probably going to buy a 3DS just for this game, since they're probably not releasing it on the regular DS. With that said, I really need to learn how to do it.

I've read many different guides on how to EV train. They helped, but I'm still 100% sure how to do it. From what I've learned, here's all the things I do know about EV training:

1. You gain 4 EV's in one of your stats when you beat a Pokemon.
2. There are items that make your EV training easier, like the Macho Brace which I think doubles your EV gains from 4 to 8.
3. There are natures that increase your stats. For an example, a physically defensive Pokemon should use Impish as their nature since it multiplies their defense by 1.5 and their special attack by 0.5, provided that they have a higher physical attack.
4. The 4 EV's you gained will go to the stat that's the highest on the Pokemon you just defeated. For an example, if you beat an Alakazam, you will gain 4 EV's in your special attack. If you beat a Cloyster, you will gain 4 EV's in your defense.

That's just about all I know about EV's. I'm willing to learn, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Paparoachfan42 is a gentleman and a scholar and I loveded him so much.
3 years ago#2
1. You gain 4 EV's in one of your stats when you beat a Pokemon.

No. You get 1-3 EVs depending on what you defeated.

3. There are natures that increase your stats. For an example, a physically defensive Pokemon should use Impish as their nature since it multiplies their defense by 1.5 and their special attack by 0.5, provided that they have a higher physical attack.

That's just a .9X or a 1.1X on the stats.

4. The 4 EV's you gained will go to the stat that's the highest on the Pokemon you just defeated. For an example, if you beat an Alakazam, you will gain 4 EV's in your special attack. If you beat a Cloyster, you will gain 4 EV's in your defense.

Not necessarily. It's a general trend that you get EVs based on the dominant stat, but it's not always the case.
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
3 years ago#3
Here's a list of what you get per battle.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_effort_value_yield

So, defeating a Lillipup will give you 1 Att EV. Defeating a Herdier yields 2 Att EVs.

Also, everything that battled that Pokemon gains EVs and it's not split, unlike experience.
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
3 years ago#4
Looks like I have a long way to go. I didn't get anything right.

DarkDragon386, I like the link you posted. Since 255 is the maximum about of EV's you can put into a stat, that means that, if I wanted a Tangela with max HP max defense at level 100, then all I would have to do is beat Nidoqueen 84 times and Golem 84 times (since you get 3 EV's from both of them)

I think?
3 years ago#5
pojr posted...
Looks like I have a long way to go. I didn't get anything right.

DarkDragon386, I like the link you posted. Since 255 is the maximum about of EV's you can put into a stat, that means that, if I wanted a Tangela with max HP max defense at level 100, then all I would have to do is beat Nidoqueen 84 times and Golem 84 times (since you get 3 EV's from both of them)

I think?

255 may be the highest an EV can be, but 252 is the highest EVs effectively go. The extra 3 points do absolutely nothing.
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
3 years ago#6
Yeah, I meant to mention that.

4 EVs is equal to one stat point. Thus, 252 will get an extra 63 in one stat. With those 6 points, you could get 1 stat point out of something else.

Also, depending on what you play, there are EV hotspots to train at from wild Pokemon.
3 years ago#7
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/64612734
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
3 years ago#8
Oh okay, so the extra 6 EV's can be used for something else entirely?

I also heard that you get a total of 510 EV's for a Pokemon, so maxing 252 in HP and 252 in defense would result in 10 free EV's for something else, I think.
3 years ago#9
pojr posted...
Oh okay, so the extra 6 EV's can be used for something else entirely?

I also heard that you get a total of 510 EV's for a Pokemon, so maxing 252 in HP and 252 in defense would result in 10 free EV's for something else, I think.

Put 252 + 252 into a calculator and tell me what you get.
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
3 years ago#10
504. Is that the total amount of EV's you get? I thought it was 510.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Looking into competitive battling - how to EV train?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived