The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it best to evolve a Pokemon ASAP?

#1NoxatroxPosted 4/2/2013 7:42:45 PM
I've recently become kind of interested in trying to get my pokemon as "powerful" as possible after learning about EVs and stuff (although I have to say that I'm still a noob at it). Anyways, a question that I've always wondered like my entire childhood is if it's best to evolve a pokemon as soon as possible. Like for example, lets say that my Abra just reached level 16 and evolved into a Kadabra. Should I trade it to a friend right away and back in order to get a level 16 Alakazam, or should I wait until it's level 30 or something?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

:c
---
Xbox Live Gamertag- Coneman50
#2UltimaZangetsuPosted 4/2/2013 7:43:37 PM
EVs can always be changed.
What's more important is the moves either form learns and when they learn them.
---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
#3Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 4/2/2013 7:44:15 PM
evolve ASAP, unless you need to get a certain move that is only available as a pre-evo.

breloom with spore is an example.
---
imanalt.
#4Noxatrox(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 7:45:45 PM
UltimaZangetsu posted...
EVs can always be changed.
What's more important is the moves either form learns and when they learn them.

So evolving later doesn't affect a pokemon's final stats?
---
#5Brandon00151Posted 4/2/2013 7:46:09 PM
Nope. A Pokemon's stats will catch up once it evolves no matter how long you hold it off.
#6EstheimasterPosted 4/2/2013 7:46:29 PM
For the most part, the stats are better than the waiting longer for moves. There are exceptions, such as Joltik in BW learning Bug Buzz a good ~14 levels earlier than his evolution and having no good bug moves until then.

In your case, most Trade Evolution Pokémon actually learn moves at the same levels as their un-evolved counterparts. And they stats are much more important than the slower leveling up- I'd rather have a Lv 20 Alakazam than a Lv 25 Kadabra.
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
#7ThatKippPosted 4/2/2013 7:47:50 PM
You should look at the movesets. If it's an item evolution, you should wait until you have the level-up moves you want, because after evolving they'll probably only learn like 1 or 2 more moves via level-up. If it's any other way, then you should compare what levels they learn their moves at. I kept my Nidoran-F unevolved for so long in my HG Nuzlocke because I wanted it to learn Poison Fang. For most of the game, I needed something to hit Grass-types really badly, so it really saved me later on.
---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X board+Only member of my one-man team
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#8EstheimasterPosted 4/2/2013 7:47:58 PM
Brandon00151 posted...
Nope. A Pokemon's stats will catch up once it evolves no matter how long you hold it off.

Yeah, there are no negative consequences, but ingame it's probably more useful to have a stronger Pokémon faster. With a gym battle coming up and having an underleveled team, I'd want my Alakazam faster so that I can actually stand a chance.
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
#9Noxatrox(Topic Creator)Posted 4/2/2013 7:51:14 PM
Thanks for clearing up my confusion guys, now I can battle in peace. :)
---
#10MaximoomPosted 4/3/2013 9:17:49 AM
Arcanine is a perfect example of why you shouldnt evolve asap.