This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it best to evolve a Pokemon ASAP?

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Is it best to evolve a Pokemon ASAP?
2 years ago#1
I've recently become kind of interested in trying to get my pokemon as "powerful" as possible after learning about EVs and stuff (although I have to say that I'm still a noob at it). Anyways, a question that I've always wondered like my entire childhood is if it's best to evolve a pokemon as soon as possible. Like for example, lets say that my Abra just reached level 16 and evolved into a Kadabra. Should I trade it to a friend right away and back in order to get a level 16 Alakazam, or should I wait until it's level 30 or something?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

:c
---
Xbox Live Gamertag- Coneman50
2 years ago#2
EVs can always be changed.
What's more important is the moves either form learns and when they learn them.
---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
2 years ago#3
evolve ASAP, unless you need to get a certain move that is only available as a pre-evo.

breloom with spore is an example.
---
imanalt.
2 years ago#4
UltimaZangetsu posted...
EVs can always be changed.
What's more important is the moves either form learns and when they learn them.

So evolving later doesn't affect a pokemon's final stats?
---
2 years ago#5
Nope. A Pokemon's stats will catch up once it evolves no matter how long you hold it off.
2 years ago#6
For the most part, the stats are better than the waiting longer for moves. There are exceptions, such as Joltik in BW learning Bug Buzz a good ~14 levels earlier than his evolution and having no good bug moves until then.

In your case, most Trade Evolution Pokémon actually learn moves at the same levels as their un-evolved counterparts. And they stats are much more important than the slower leveling up- I'd rather have a Lv 20 Alakazam than a Lv 25 Kadabra.
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
2 years ago#7
You should look at the movesets. If it's an item evolution, you should wait until you have the level-up moves you want, because after evolving they'll probably only learn like 1 or 2 more moves via level-up. If it's any other way, then you should compare what levels they learn their moves at. I kept my Nidoran-F unevolved for so long in my HG Nuzlocke because I wanted it to learn Poison Fang. For most of the game, I needed something to hit Grass-types really badly, so it really saved me later on.
---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X board+Only member of my one-man team
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
2 years ago#8
Brandon00151 posted...
Nope. A Pokemon's stats will catch up once it evolves no matter how long you hold it off.

Yeah, there are no negative consequences, but ingame it's probably more useful to have a stronger Pokémon faster. With a gym battle coming up and having an underleveled team, I'd want my Alakazam faster so that I can actually stand a chance.
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
2 years ago#9
Thanks for clearing up my confusion guys, now I can battle in peace. :)
---
2 years ago#10
Arcanine is a perfect example of why you shouldnt evolve asap.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon X
  3. Is it best to evolve a Pokemon ASAP?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived