This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gyarados is based off the Chinese Sea Serpent.

#41iKhanicPosted 4/2/2013 8:51:40 PM
The_Sol_Blader posted...
Funny how iKhanic claims won't believe what people says about Gyarados's origin, despite it being something people probably read on Bulbapedia, but hates Volcarona because the same site says it's made of many other things

Trolls today...

I didn't say I won't believe people's theories on Gyarados's origin. I said I won't believe theories backed by myths with no source. I just listed 3 valid sources for the Dragon's gate myth existing. I found nothing confirming this Serebii poster's theory, and I even made a post about the whole "rampaging and losing its Dragon status" thing which no one gave a source to.

Plus I don't hate Volcarona because of what I read on Bulbapedia, I just use the point t someone could identify so many potential origins as proof for why its design is overcomplicated

CM_Ponch posted...
I also see the obvious fact that Gyarados bears an uncanny resemblance to chinese dragons

Chinese dragons have limbs, Chinese serpents have no limbs. Gyarados is closer in appearance to a Chinese Serpent.
And once again, if Gyarados was based off the Dragon's Gate legend he'd be a dragon.

No he wouldn't be. Dragon type wasn't resisted by anything in Gen 1. It was intended to be the best type, so Gamefreak wanted to reserve it for the Dragonite line. Dragon-type is clearly not reserved for dragons, so what's to say that all Dragons are necessarily Dragon type.

And that's fine to say its a Chinese Sea Serpent. Thats a perfectly legitimate theory. But to believe this serebii poster theory is ridiculous, since there is no source of a carp going up a waterfall and becoming a "flying serpent" that anyone has shown.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#42MagikarpRulesPosted 4/2/2013 9:00:08 PM
So it all boils down to this kind of topics when we don't have news, it seems.
#43CharizardFirePosted 4/2/2013 9:28:37 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#44CharizardFirePosted 4/2/2013 9:29:54 PM
You're a day late, CM_Ponch.
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif