This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people want everything to be convenient in this game?

#31Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/5/2013 9:25:30 AM
Arne83 posted...
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Arne83 posted...
... I'm not even going say anything.

Then no progress is going to be made in the conversation.

Ok then... if I have to actually point out the flaws in your statement, I will.

First off, you state that Pokemon is guilty of... and I quote "Denial of information critical to progress". But later, with in the exact same paragraph, you state that said information is not needed to complete the main story of the game, where actual progress is made. So, really... the game does not withhold any information that required for progression. I mean... you said it yourself... you can complete the game with out knowing it. So how is this information "critical to progress" if you can beat the game without knowing it?

To be more specific, it's the subsection on Metagame that applies most here. In this case, it is the unwritten data on IVs and EVs that are required for competitive play. The fact it's not required for normal story play also functionally makes it a massive difficulty spike.
#32Twilight_SonataPosted 4/5/2013 9:28:01 AM
Arne83 posted...
So how is this information "critical to progress" if you can beat the game without knowing it?

Because "critical" and "progress" are relative. It depends on what you're trying to do in the game. To beat that main story? No, it's not critical. But to beat other parts of the game like PWT and the Subway and so on and to actually viably compete when you battle other people? Yeah, it's pretty darn critical. You simply cannot get by in these other parts of the game without looking up mechanics online that the game leaves almost completely unexplained to you.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#33Emerald_MeliosPosted 4/5/2013 12:06:26 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Arne83 posted...
So how is this information "critical to progress" if you can beat the game without knowing it?

Because "critical" and "progress" are relative. It depends on what you're trying to do in the game. To beat that main story? No, it's not critical. But to beat other parts of the game like PWT and the Subway and so on and to actually viably compete when you battle other people? Yeah, it's pretty darn critical. You simply cannot get by in these other parts of the game without looking up mechanics online that the game leaves almost completely unexplained to you.

That's why I never even paid attention to IV/EV until 5th generation, and half the time just ignored it because of its user unfriendly implementation.
#34jayman7Posted 4/5/2013 12:50:09 PM(edited)
Arne83 posted...
I think a good example comes from... I absolutely love this game, so it pains me to speak of negatively... Final Fantasy IV. There is a part where you have to fight a boss known as the Dark Elf (If you've played this game, you might know where I'm going). There is an item you must get that is necessary to beat this boss. If you don't get it, you can't win... and the game never directly tells you how to get it. When I first played this game, I got stuck at this part for quite some time because I didn't even know this item existed, let alone that is was needed. That right there, is denying information critical of progress.

Which is actually an extraordinarily bad example, because the same place where people tell you to go to the Dark Elf's cave is the place where Edward is. And there were other NPCs there that hinted that Edward was in the castle. What, you don't talk to party members that you thought were dead when you discover they're conveniently nearby? That's all you have to do; talk to him.

You weren't being denied squat; you skipped ahead without talking to NPCs, and thus you never received the information simply because you were ignoring it.

No no, a much better "fake difficulty" example from Final Fantasy IV exists in random drops. Necessary? No. Useful? Absototalutely. Likelihood of getting the good stuff? Insanely low. Indications that the good stuff exists? None. Time spent getting the good stuff even if you know it's there? Way too much. Skill required for to get them? No more than winning the battles normally. That is fake difficulty.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#35WallydraiglePosted 4/5/2013 1:44:39 PM
Most of the fanbase are ADHD preteens and adolescents.
---
Always interested in any Pokemon event distribution cartridges. My email is in my profile.
#36Arne83Posted 4/5/2013 1:59:38 PM
Hmmm... Ok. Because of everyone's comments, I am now convinced that fake difficulty isn't even really a thing. It's just something someone made up so they could have more things to complain about. Thank you all, and good day.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#37UltimaZangetsuPosted 4/5/2013 2:01:09 PM
Arne83 posted...
Hmmm... Ok. Because of everyone's comments, I am now convinced that fake difficulty isn't even really a thing. It's just something someone made up so they could have more things to complain about. Thank you all, and good day.

Watch the Sequelitis about Castlevania 1 and 2. It explains fake difficulty quite well.
---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
#38BountyanPosted 4/5/2013 2:07:27 PM
Arne83 posted...

But it is a thing.

Difficulty that's based on luck isn't good difficulty. The best difficulty is the kind that involves the player coming up with a solution based on their skill.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#39RunebogglePosted 4/5/2013 2:23:01 PM
I was proved wrong, so I'm just gonna say you guys are wrong and leave the topic.

Thanks for admitting defeat.
---
Si || Dyrim, the Speaker
#40Twilight_SonataPosted 4/5/2013 5:16:32 PM
Arne83 posted...
Hmmm... Ok. Because of everyone's comments, I am now convinced that fake difficulty isn't even really a thing. It's just something someone made up so they could have more things to complain about.

Then you are foolish, because I posted a link explaining it perfectly. If you don't think it applies to Pokemon, then you are slightly less foolish, but that's a different matter.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe