This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamefreak needs to make both attacking stats relavent again.

#1iKhanicPosted 4/5/2013 8:45:00 AM
Before the Physical/Special Split, and before there was such a wide diversity of moves, an Attack based pokemon's Sp. Attack still mattered and vice versa. The fact that Venusaur had base 82 Atk meant that if it needed Ground-type coverage, it could launch decently powered Earthquakes. However, now, pokemon who aren't mixed attackers end up with a useless allocation of the Attack base stat, and it really would make more sense to just zero out one of the attack stats in favor of another in creating new pokemon.

I think Gamefreak needs to come up with a way to make both stats matter again.

And before someone says it, yes Charizard is what got me thinking of this topic, but its not about Charizard. Its about every pokemon that has one good stat and one okay one
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2DaemonscharmPosted 4/5/2013 8:48:17 AM
I love the split. It balances out the whole system. Why give fighting types a special atk boost? Why give Psychic types an atk boost?

You want good balance use Lucario. You can raise a Special OR Physical sweeper.
---
http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo273/Photo_Phreak/alkalinesig2.png
http://i.imgur.com/WvefuGH.jpg?1
#3iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 8:52:30 AM
DaemonscharmII posted...
I love the split. It balances out the whole system. Why give fighting types a special atk boost? Why give Psychic types an atk boost?

I didn't say I have a problem with the split. I think its a great idea. I'm just saying it had a nasty side effect of making one of most pokemon's stats irrelevant. What's the point of Gengar having base 65 Atk? If Flareon had a better movepool, what would be the point of its base 95 Sp. Atk? I just want those stats to have some importance.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#4VoidEnvoyPosted 4/5/2013 9:03:18 AM
iKhanic posted...
DaemonscharmII posted...

I didn't say I have a problem with the split. I think its a great idea. I'm just saying it had a nasty side effect of making one of most pokemon's stats irrelevant. What's the point of Gengar having base 65 Atk? If Flareon had a better movepool, what would be the point of its base 95 Sp. Atk? I just want those stats to have some importance.

The point is so that a physical attacker, like flareon, could have a special move in its arsenal to punch decent sized holes in physical walls. The reverse is true for special attackers like Gengar.
---
Roughly the size of a barge! -Gaston
#5iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 9:08:53 AM
VoidEnvoy posted...
iKhanic posted...
DaemonscharmII posted...

The point is so that a physical attacker, like flareon, could have a special move in its arsenal to punch decent sized holes in physical walls. The reverse is true for special attackers like Gengar.

But movepools have become wide enough that using a stat that is so much lower isn't as useful as other options.

I just think they need to introduce a move that swaps Atk and Sp. Atk for a few turns to keep players on their feet and to keep both stats relevant.
---
#6CakeOfLiesPosted 4/5/2013 9:15:21 AM
Personally, I think it would be great to just pour all of the attacking stat that a Pokemon doesn't need into the stat it DOES need.

Mewtwo now has 264 base Sp. Attack.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#7VoidEnvoyPosted 4/5/2013 9:15:31 AM
iKhanic posted...
But movepools have become wide enough that using a stat that is so much lower isn't as useful as other options.

I just think they need to introduce a move that swaps Atk and Sp. Atk for a few turns to keep players on their feet and to keep both stats relevant.

Or perhaps more moves like Psyshock, which use Special Attack, but target Defense rather than Special Defense.
---
Roughly the size of a barge! -Gaston
#8iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 9:17:46 AM
CakeOfLies posted...
Personally, I think it would be great to just pour all of the attacking stat that a Pokemon doesn't need into the stat it DOES need.

Mewtwo now has 264 base Sp. Attack.

Psh, Charizard can beat that
---
#9iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 4/5/2013 9:44:00 AM
bump
---
#10DarkKirby2500Posted 4/5/2013 9:50:29 AM
The Physical/Special Split was a great idea that was very poorly implemented.

They essentially decided most moves where physical, even most projectiles, leaving Special Attackers little to work with.
---
1. The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him. 2. They're all complacent sheeple.
<==]-<(-_o)>-[==>