This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Voltorb & Electrode

#1PrinnyWinPosted 4/7/2013 11:42:34 PM
Am I the only one that finds it sad that people like to use the Voltorb line as an example of a bad Gen 1 design?

First and foremost, I don't care about any side of the argument, Geewunners or whatever.
However, seeing Voltorb mentioned as a bad design just makes me sigh.

Are Voltorb and Electrode just Pokeballs with eyes? Yes they are. I'm not denying that.
And that's why they're great. Voltorb and Electrode were more than just a Pokemon design, they were Pokemon's version of the Monster-in-a-box/Mimic enemies of RPGs. Them simply being Pokeballs with eyes is the entire point.

They were meant to make you think twice on performing one of the most basic functions of gameplay - Picking up items. In this way, they added an element to the game that NO other Pokemon could have done at its time until Foongus' introduction (which took the exact same concept).

This function of Voltorb's line is the reason for its aesthetic design.
And that's why the Voltorb line would be much more memorable than the lists of "bad pokemon examples", because they were more than just another set of Pokemon, and actually added to the gameplay.
---
"If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I'm convinced that these two are blind."- Phoenix Wright, AA:T&T.
#2Arne83Posted 4/7/2013 11:46:52 PM(edited)
I get the whole mimic thing with the voltorb line. But that doesn't mean they don't look stupid.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#3AlI_About_The_UPosted 4/7/2013 11:46:58 PM
I like Electrode's smile.
---
http://i.imgur.com/PqS9Duf.jpg
#4King-gamerPosted 4/7/2013 11:48:17 PM
Electrode should evolve into a Masterball. Then people will respect him.
---
This is a sig. Yup.
#5SephirothtPosted 4/7/2013 11:49:43 PM
Their design is simple and nothing to be impressed about. What you mean is their concept.
---
Officially faved Ninetales, everywhere, R - Burning Knight Executive
Facebook: http://alturl.com/juupo
#6FuneralCakePosted 4/7/2013 11:50:46 PM
Just because they were based on a good concept doesn't mean they're automatically good designs.

It's like, if there was a mimic monster that literally just looked like a treasure chest with eyes, that wouldn't be creative. If there was a mimic monster that had some other design features going for it, that would be more creative.

This is why I think Foongus is a better design than Voltorb: because the designers looked at it and thought "Okay, so we want to make a mimic monster, but we want to do something more than just a Pokeball with eyes." They put some actual thought into it.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
do you wanna die or just come real close?
#7UltimaZangetsuPosted 4/7/2013 11:54:33 PM
FuneralCake posted...
Just because they were based on a good concept doesn't mean they're automatically good designs.

It's like, if there was a mimic monster that literally just looked like a treasure chest with eyes, that wouldn't be creative. If there was a mimic monster that had some other design features going for it, that would be more creative.

This is why I think Foongus is a better design than Voltorb: because the designers looked at it and thought "Okay, so we want to make a mimic monster, but we want to do something more than just a Pokeball with eyes." They put some actual thought into it.

My problem with the Foongus line is this: how in the hell does anyone confuse them for a Pokeball unless they are looking straight down at them? The character should be viewing them at an angle, and thus easily be able to see through the camouflage.
---
"Whoa! Heads up, detecting high levels of space chickens."
"No! Space chickens are a surgeon's worst nightmare."
#8The_BlazrPosted 4/7/2013 11:54:37 PM
King-gamer posted...
Electrode should evolve into a Masterball. Then people will respect him.

This.
---
Official Soki of the MvC3 boards!
#9FuneralCakePosted 4/7/2013 11:56:08 PM
UltimaZangetsu posted...
My problem with the Foongus line is this: how in the hell does anyone confuse them for a Pokeball unless they are looking straight down at them? The character should be viewing them at an angle, and thus easily be able to see through the camouflage.

Presumably, they shrink or bury their bodies so that only the cap can be seen. That's what I figure anyway, since they jump up when you encounter them.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
do you wanna die or just come real close?
#10Arne83Posted 4/8/2013 12:03:30 AM
UltimaZangetsu posted...
FuneralCake posted...

How does anyone confuse a Voltorb for a Pokeball? The thing is a foot tall.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.