This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I love when people say "I had no trouble with Whitney's Miltank lol...

#51TheWiseliestOnePosted 4/8/2013 5:51:30 PM
But I never did have much trouble with Whitney. Morty is the annoying one. I swear, when he uses hypnosis, it hits every single time! (Although getting an Umbreon makes him really easy)
---
3DS Friendcode: 0087-3629-7518
#52Moocow123450Posted 4/8/2013 5:53:55 PM
I used my bayleef as a defensive wall and put up reflect. Then I just stalled for time with poison powder and synthesis. Of course, I still barely won, but it only took two or three attempts.
---
Wild Pikachu Appeared! Go Pokeball!
#53Grammar_manPosted 4/9/2013 4:05:09 AM(edited)
snuffles504 posted...
Swiftblade09 posted...
snuffles504 posted...
Swiftblade09 posted...
snuffles504 posted...
I've noticed that most of the people who say that Whitney is easy either A) solo'd their starter or B) prepped for the battle.

Regarding option A, that makes everything in the game easy.

Regarding option B, that's exactly why Whitney's a challenging gym leader. Most gym leaders you can just go in and knock them down, but there are a few that you have to plan in advance for or else you'll be crushed. Whitney is one of those few.

You should be planning for every gym battle in pokemon as you know the gyms type in advance.

Not quite the same thing. The only fighting-type Pokemon available at that point in Johto are Heracross and Machop, one of which is rare with an unusual catching method, the other being a trade Pokemon. So in order to even have an offensive type advantage you'd have to go out of your way to get it.

You should also know that rock types resist normal. You should at least know that even if you don't know about rollout which just so happens to also be resisted by rock. Preparing a strategy involves more than solely offensive advantage.

But that's my point. Most people (myself included) don't need to plan ANY kind of strategy for gym leaders; they just go in with an offensive type advantage and smash stuff up. It's difficult to successfully do that with Whitney because of the lack of fighting types and the combinations she uses with Clefairy and Miltank.

...No. Not true at all. Misty required a hell of a lot more thought than Whitney.

"Lol I use Pikachu"... hope you enjoy getting 2HKO'd by Starmie despite typing advantage, and not KOing it back(because you're to slow for the second hit). You either needed to have chosen the right starter(and even then, Squirtle/Wartortle could struggle), or a lot of luck, or to catch one of the Sleep Powder using Grass types/Paras.

Planning, or at least basic thinking has always been a thing with Gym Leaders that aren't Gen1LolBrock(Ho noes, My Rock types have only tackle, and charmander is both using special attacks and can burn me FUUUUUU). If you go in vs Falkner with no thinking and having chosen Chikorita, he'll squash you.

Geodude is available forever. The game shoves nearly shoves Onix in your face. Beating Whitney with either is easier than beating Misty is with any mon assuming you aren't overleveled.

Really, if your explanation for why Whitney is hard is "but you need to think on an early game gym leader!"...

1. She's easier than R/B/Y Misty.
2. She's easier than Falkner if you chose Chikorita. Not even kidding. Try beating Falkner without backup or overleveling. Now try the same with Whitney. Lolreflect, Poisonpowder, and Razor Leaf.
She's also easier than Bugsy is. In fact, for a Chikorita trainer, she's the only pushover Gym leader of the first four.
3. She's the third Gym Leader. That would almost be considered midgame.
4. Pokemon that are great against her is in good supply before you meet her.
#54Capitan_KidPosted 4/9/2013 7:49:03 AM
Whitney is definitely the toughest gym leader in johto
---
D-O-G-A-R-S DOGARS!!
Official Husband of Nowi
#55ryudin89Posted 4/9/2013 7:50:30 AM
Capitan_Kid posted...
Whitney is definitely the toughest gym leader in johto

Considering how easy johto is that's not saying much...
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#56snuffles504Posted 4/9/2013 8:15:38 AM
Grammar_man posted...
...No. Not true at all. Misty required a hell of a lot more thought than Whitney.

"Lol I use Pikachu"... hope you enjoy getting 2HKO'd by Starmie despite typing advantage, and not KOing it back(because you're to slow for the second hit). You either needed to have chosen the right starter(and even then, Squirtle/Wartortle could struggle), or a lot of luck, or to catch one of the Sleep Powder using Grass types/Paras.

Planning, or at least basic thinking has always been a thing with Gym Leaders that aren't Gen1LolBrock(Ho noes, My Rock types have only tackle, and charmander is both using special attacks and can burn me FUUUUUU). If you go in vs Falkner with no thinking and having chosen Chikorita, he'll squash you.

Geodude is available forever. The game shoves nearly shoves Onix in your face. Beating Whitney with either is easier than beating Misty is with any mon assuming you aren't overleveled.

Really, if your explanation for why Whitney is hard is "but you need to think on an early game gym leader!"...

1. She's easier than R/B/Y Misty.
2. She's easier than Falkner if you chose Chikorita. Not even kidding. Try beating Falkner without backup or overleveling. Now try the same with Whitney. Lolreflect, Poisonpowder, and Razor Leaf.
She's also easier than Bugsy is. In fact, for a Chikorita trainer, she's the only pushover Gym leader of the first four.
3. She's the third Gym Leader. That would almost be considered midgame.
4. Pokemon that are great against her is in good supply before you meet her.

First off, note how I said that Whitney was one of the few who require actual planning. I never used early-game as a difficulty criteria, nor did I ever say she was the hardest gym leader ever. I could easily list a few that are more difficult.

Of course Falkner and Bugsy are both difficult if you use only Chikorita, just like Brock is difficult in Yellow version because you're forced into a pretty severe type disadvantage (assuming you use Pikachu). Whitney is difficult regardless of which starter you pick even though Rollout is her only move with a type advantage against any starter.

Even the Reflect/PoisonPowder strategy you mentioned is a strategy to counter Miltank. If she was a water, ground, or rock type, all any Chikorita trainer would have to do is spam Razor Leaf to win.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#57Gold UrsaringPosted 4/9/2013 8:29:06 AM
Miltank existed to troll the people who only used boy Pokemon.
#58IngSlayerPosted 4/9/2013 8:37:45 AM
I didn't have trouble with her...

In HeartGold.
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#59CharizardFirePosted 4/9/2013 8:41:21 AM
scrappybristol posted...
Morty is the hardest gym leader of Johto by far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6josPnHF94
---
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq303/CharizardFire6/Char-Brawl.gif