This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I haven't played a pokemon game in years

#1alancal90Posted 4/8/2013 11:04:26 PM
To be exact, the only games I played were red, blue, yellow + the trading card game. For some reason this game has me all excited about pokemon again. I'm worried that after not playing the games or knowing anything about pokemon for so many years I might be in over my head (both referring to the amount of pokemon I know nothing about and perhaps new major game mechanics or changes).
As a pokemon fan would you say it is somewhat necessary to play the older games at all?
I have every Nintendo handheld so if I have time to get a couple what would be the best ones to look at?
#2Mewtwo_soulPosted 4/8/2013 11:05:59 PM
Do you need to play the older games to get into the new one? No.

Would it be seriously suggestible? Not really, but I'd suggest doing it anyway just to see all the new happenings.

HGSS Diamon Pearl Platinum, Black White Black White 2 are choice games right now. (All for DS/playable on 3DS)
---
Only insecure and ignorant people try to debase someone online based on their username.
#3Katharina27Posted 4/8/2013 11:06:58 PM
It's completely unnecessary. I have resources for you. Here, catch up on the mechanics.

http://www.serebii.net/games/mechanics.shtml
---
I am guilty of being an insufferable smart ass!
Too many people I know would be perfectly content to burn me for a witch.
#4Arne83Posted 4/8/2013 11:07:52 PM
Nah, you should be fine. Just keep in mind... there are going to be thing you're not used to like Natures and Abilities... but despite all that, it's still Pokemon.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#5FuneralCakePosted 4/8/2013 11:07:59 PM
I don't think it's necessary to play the older games, but it really couldn't hurt.

If you want to play a Pokemon game to get accustomed to the new changes, I'd suggest Black 2 or White 2. Black and White are also great, but BW2 have more features, as well as more older Pokemon, which I think you'd appreciate (since Black and White only have new Pokemon until the game is over).
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
do you wanna die or just come real close?
#6SMASHKING84Posted 4/8/2013 11:08:59 PM
you don't need to play older games but it helps if you do.
---
Jirachi is the best pokemon
Please check out my pokemon lp:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty0G7lOSuaU
#7Arne83Posted 4/8/2013 11:10:58 PM
Arne83 posted...
Nah, you should be fine. Just keep in mind... there are going to be thing you're not used to like Natures and Abilities... but despite all that, it's still Pokemon.

Also, if you ever feel a bit overwhelmed... just remember the Pokemon Johto Journeys theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEJFC5SuTPY
---
#8jayman7Posted 4/8/2013 11:12:23 PM(edited)
The core gameplay hasn't changed dramatically (well, at least not as of the fifth generation - Black, White, Black 2, and White 2 are the fifth generation of Pokemon games), but there are lots of new additions, like Abilities (passive traits that give your Pokemon bonuses... or sometimes penalties), the Dark and Steel types (Psychic no longer rules all), the Special Attack/Special Defense split and subsequent Physical/Special move shift, and so on. It might seem overwhelming, but most of it is pretty intuitive and you'll figure it out quickly enough.

Now, there are over four times as many Pokemon as there used to be (almost certainly going to be at least five times as many once X and Y are out), but each game gives you only a fraction of that before the postgame comes around these days, rarely topping 200 per (Black and White 2 may have 300 Pokemon in their regional dexes, but you won't see much of many of them before the postgame.)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#9alancal90(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 11:25:04 PM(edited)
I was overwhelmed earlier after seeing how many DS games alone there was. Maybe I'll pick up black 2 tomorrow it sounds like it would be the best one for me to check out. I have plenty of time to try others before X and Y if I see fit. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.
#10Arne83Posted 4/8/2013 11:27:06 PM
Awesome. Tell us how you like it once you start playing.
---