This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand the people who support the removal of backwards compatibility

#1Dark_EinherjarPosted 4/10/2013 11:21:20 AM
I read some of the topics here about backwards compatibility in Generation VI (this hasn't happened ever since Gen III, in 2003), and the reasons people give to support it are... lame, to say the least.
These are the main arguments I see people giving when defending it:

"Everyone gets a fresh start."

What, exactly, do you mean by "fresh start"?
If it's starting a new game from scratch, guess what? You "start fresh" regardless of having backwards compatibility or not, because you don't get to transfer Pokémon until after beating the Elite Four. Therefore, that argument is invalid.
If it's completing the Pokédex all over again, that argument is even worse, as backwards compatibility is a MUST nowadays in order to complete the Dex: in Gen IV, transferring Pokémon from Gen III was mandatory in order to complete the Dex (by transferring Pokémon and/or inserting a GBA game into the DS Slot 2). In Gen V, Poké Transfer was also necessary. Heck, in Gen III, thanks to backwards compatibility being cut off, it took SEVEN GAMES to make nearly all Pokémon available again, and even that wasn't enough because there were event-exclusive ones (and their distribution was **** back then).
Lastly, if it's having people have to start building their teams all over again... other than the hack-hate reasons (which I will cover later), I can't see why anyone would want to do that.

"It's necessary for big mechanic changes."

This is the most "plausible" reason I can see, but it's only acceptable if it truly makes the new Pokémon incompatible with the old ones, such as the introduction of natures and the changes to the EV system in Gen III.
Even then, it'll have to be one hell of a change in order to make up for the insufferable amount of hate and rage from milions of players all over the planet, which is why I doubt it will ever happen.

"It's necessary to stop hackers from ruining competitive battling by bringing their hacked Pokémon from previous Gens, boohoo!"

Seriously... I have to control the urge to use Outrage IRL whenever I read anyone spouting this BS. I mean, do you SERIOUSLY believe this will be the end of hacking in Pokémon? You really underestimate hackers if you do.
Even if it did stop hacking in Pokémon, this would be the lamest, stupidest, and above all, most selfish reason for anyone to want backwards compatibility to be removed. By using the above argument, you're pretty much saying "I want all competitive players to get their Pokémon the same way I do (read: praying to the havens that the RNG is nice to me)! What, there are players who don't play competitively? As long as I get what I want, I don't give a **** about them, even though they are the majority of the players!"
Whatever argument you want to use, please don't use this. It makes you sound like a selfish, elitist jerk.

In the end, removing backwards compatibility from Pokémon is a terrible idea, and I have yet to find anyone who can provide a good reason (and by "good", I mean a reason that will make up for its negative impacts) for doing so.
---
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."
-Sirius Black
#2KapuxaPosted 4/10/2013 11:30:50 AM
Amen to that, seriously.
#3The Eternal EvilPosted 4/10/2013 11:34:40 AM
Make IV's and EV's a completely visible stat and hacking for IV's and EV's become less and less necessary.

The level of control you have on EV's and IV's is actually pretty immense, it's the inability to see IV's and EV's that cause people to miss the opportunities to breed and ev train completely properly.

The simple act of being able to see them would be enough to make breeding and ev training not only easier, but removing the huge amount of guess work, and the need to enter stats into calculators and go to a guy who only tells you what your best stat/stats are would take away a lot of tedium, as well as allow a player to not miss a perfect iv pokemon from time to time.

The more hidden aspects in a game, the more people feel inclined to hack.
---
One Trainer to rule them all, One Trainer to find them,
One Trainer to catch them all and in the Pokeball bind them. Legend of Legacy.
#4shagohad3Posted 4/10/2013 11:39:39 AM
I've been moving my pokemon it the latest game since Emerald. .If you take that away, I will be very angry
---
PSN: shagohad12
I got a bucket full of my head, and i'm about to make it rain!
#5Pooo869Posted 4/10/2013 11:42:24 AM
Ive had my shiny piplup (now a badass empoleon) since 2007 when D/P/Pt was released, if they take away backwards compatibillty i will go up in arms
---
Black 2 FC - 3869-6069-8826 -PSN- Pooo869
"You know you and I are alike, we do not fear the things we must do"
#6SpacePirateKhanPosted 4/10/2013 11:44:10 AM
The Eternal Evil posted...
Make IV's and EV's a completely visible stat and hacking for IV's and EV's become less and less necessary.

The level of control you have on EV's and IV's is actually pretty immense, it's the inability to see IV's and EV's that cause people to miss the opportunities to breed and ev train completely properly.

The simple act of being able to see them would be enough to make breeding and ev training not only easier, but removing the huge amount of guess work, and the need to enter stats into calculators and go to a guy who only tells you what your best stat/stats are would take away a lot of tedium, as well as allow a player to not miss a perfect iv pokemon from time to time.

The more hidden aspects in a game, the more people feel inclined to hack.

*applaud*
Don't forget the ridiculous difficulty of getting all the Pokemon, made worse by having to go through things like Dream World for superior abilities...
---
"The best things in life must be taken... by force!"
~Captain Khan
#7fffire24Posted 4/10/2013 11:47:18 AM
The only reason I would want no backwards compatibility is to remove all the hacked pokemon. The pros of backwards compatibility outweigh the cons for me though.
#8Thepenguinking2Posted 4/10/2013 11:49:04 AM
Kapuxa posted...
Amen to that, seriously.

---
WHY CAN'T SHEDINJA LEARN ENTRAINMENTMe in the X board
The Shiny zangoose of the X/y Board! (what? everyone's doing this!)
#9jayman7Posted 4/10/2013 11:56:01 AM(edited)
The only good reason I can think of for the removal backward compatibility is the same reason the third gen had: No choice.

You can say anything you like about the gameplay changes the third gen brought about, but the reason it was a reboot was the hardware incompatibility that made compatibility unfeasible.

Since there are already 3DS games that can access data from DS games (using an app as a go-between; see Dragon Quest Monsters) the "no choice" option clearly doesn't apply here. So yeah, bring on the backward compatibility!

For the record, though, the only non-event Pokémon completely unavailable during the fourth gen alone - without events or GBA connections or anything - were the Regigolems. True, that only applies after the release of HG/SS, though.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#10WindyligthPosted 4/10/2013 11:54:15 AM
Thepenguinking2 posted...
Kapuxa posted...
Amen to that, seriously.

---
I am here to promote the discussion and appreciation of Fennekin.