This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand the people who support the removal of backwards compatibility

#11WindyligthPosted 4/10/2013 11:57:10 AM
jayman7 posted...
The only good reason I can think of for the removal backward compatibility is the same reason the third gen had: No choice.

Alright, it was likely due to too much work than no choice. We could send a person to orbit in space. There's likely SOME way we could have implemented backwards compatibility.
---
I am here to promote the discussion and appreciation of Fennekin.
#12Archwing3441Posted 4/10/2013 11:57:57 AM
""It's necessary for big mechanic changes."

This is the most "plausible" reason I can see, but it's only acceptable if it truly makes the new Pokémon incompatible with the old ones, such as the introduction of natures and the changes to the EV system in Gen III.
Even then, it'll have to be one hell of a change in order to make up for the insufferable amount of hate and rage from milions of players all over the planet, which is why I doubt it will ever happen."

that's really the main reason, specifically, IV. Even if you can control 1 IV and 1 Nature ( or two IV) and the IV you want happens to be perfect, you still are looking at 1/(31^5) * 1/2 ( abilities) * 1/2 (gender depending on pokemon). So the odds are horrible. Obviously, while Gamefreak doesn't hate the idea of competitive pokemon (evident with them making the "hidden" mechanics easier to breed each gen), they aren't going to alienate the majority of the fans by making it impossible to transfer over.

tl;dr: only logical reason that is never going to happen. the earlier, the better, and it's way past early.

On a side note, I wish they make it so I can transfer a box load of pokemon (obviously post-game) instead of having to transfer 6 at a time and just directly bring the pokemon to a box.
---
Nintendo? PlayStation? no...
http://mangafox.me/manga/mel_kano/v03/c016/27.html
#13jayman7Posted 4/10/2013 12:00:02 PM
Windyligth posted...
jayman7 posted...
The only good reason I can think of for the removal backward compatibility is the same reason the third gen had: No choice.

Alright, it was likely due to too much work than no choice. We could send a person to orbit in space. There's likely SOME way we could have implemented backwards compatibility.

Fair enough I suppose. Too much work for too little payoff (a GBC-to-GBA link cable would have been used for all of one game franchise, so people would complain that it was useless.)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#14jayman7Posted 4/10/2013 12:04:25 PM(edited)
Archwing3441 posted...
Even if you can control 1 IV and 1 Nature ( or two IV) and the IV you want happens to be perfect, you still are looking at 1/(31^5) * 1/2 ( abilities) * 1/2 (gender depending on pokemon).

On the one hand, it's actually 1/(32^5), because there are 32 possible values for IVs (IVs can be 0.)

On the other, IVs pass from parents anyway, even without Power items, so depending on the parents, it may be more - or less! - likely to get perfect IVs. Also, you don't need perfect IVs in an Attack stat you're not using (in the case of physical Attack, the lower the better if you're not using it!)

Just felt like nitpicking. ;)
---
#15ClassyOldHatPosted 4/10/2013 5:25:43 PM
I have to agree completely. Especially for the "Fresh Start" stuff.
#16pokemonfreak97Posted 4/10/2013 6:49:19 PM
jayman7 posted...

You can say anything you like about the gameplay changes the third gen brought about, but the reason it was a reboot was the hardware incompatibility that made compatibility unfeasible.

Since there are already 3DS games that can access data from DS games (using an app as a go-between; see Dragon Quest Monsters) the "no choice" option clearly doesn't apply here. So yeah, bring on the backward compatibility!

For the record, though, the only non-event Pokémon completely unavailable during the fourth gen alone - without events or GBA connections or anything - were the Regigolems. True, that only applies after the release of HG/SS, though.

Technically, someone who got every Gen IV event would have every Pokémon; they would get the Platinum Regigigas, giving them the other golems.
---
For those of you starting topics about the PS4, there's a PS4 board:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4
#17jayman7Posted 4/10/2013 6:52:38 PM
pokemonfreak97 posted...
jayman7 posted...

You can say anything you like about the gameplay changes the third gen brought about, but the reason it was a reboot was the hardware incompatibility that made compatibility unfeasible.

Since there are already 3DS games that can access data from DS games (using an app as a go-between; see Dragon Quest Monsters) the "no choice" option clearly doesn't apply here. So yeah, bring on the backward compatibility!

For the record, though, the only non-event Pokémon completely unavailable during the fourth gen alone - --> WITHOUT EVENTS!!!!! <--- or GBA connections or anything - were the Regigolems. True, that only applies after the release of HG/SS, though.

Technically, someone who got every Gen IV event would have every Pokémon; they would get the Platinum Regigigas, giving them the other golems.

---
#18BlazingRainPosted 4/10/2013 8:32:10 PM
It's not even necessary for big changes in mechanics.
---
La Illaha Illa Allah, Muhammad Rasul Allah
#19LexifoxPosted 4/10/2013 8:45:38 PM
It basically comes down to "I don't like how hackers have high stat Pokemon and/or I don't something that only really affects competitive players", with a smaller dose of "I would play competitive but I don't want to put the effort into getting high-IV Pokemon".
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#20MagikarpRulesPosted 4/10/2013 8:54:01 PM
Well, if, and only if, there's a chance to get legitimately all the Pokemon within the Gen 6 games, maybe I would get over a hypothetic removal of backwards compatibility. Otherwise, we are going to see even more rage than in Gen 3, I think.