This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand the people who support the removal of backwards compatibility

#51BountyanPosted 4/12/2013 11:38:50 AM(edited)
IVs aren't the type of randomness that should be in RPGs. That kind of randomness is like making a character in a MMO and for no reason, your character can be automatically worse or better than someone else's newly created character permanently. It's stupid, and I haven't played any other RPG that has a system like this.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#52pokemon2pokerPosted 4/12/2013 11:41:59 AM
tl;dr
---
They call me Dick Tracy
#53paiprPosted 4/12/2013 5:48:52 PM
To be fare if they were to make games non-backwards compatible they have many more options to make the Pokemon available. If dream world is still around that's an option. Plus events can be done over WiFi, not to mention they could opt to include many in the game or post game. Plus there is online trading that will make for a possible for a larger selection of version exclusives that can be traded.

honestly I'm ok either way. That said if for some sake of major revamping (stats redistribution, movepool changes, type balancing, changes to the battle system, as well as ev/iv stuff, maybe even changes to shinies our Pokemon colors or designs) just like major stuff then I'd be pro. It be great to see a massive overhaul to a game I love and for the right combination of improvements I'd be willing to do without and have to start over and not have that backwards compatibility that has been so associated with the series.
---
cant decide which movie is the worst movie; dragon ball z evolution, m.nights last air bender, or twilight????? hmmm
#54ClassyOldHatPosted 4/13/2013 2:02:01 PM
paipr posted...
To be fare if they were to make games non-backwards compatible they have many more options to make the Pokemon available. If dream world is still around that's an option. Plus events can be done over WiFi, not to mention they could opt to include many in the game or post game. Plus there is online trading that will make for a possible for a larger selection of version exclusives that can be traded.

While I do agree they COULD make all Pokemon (including most events) available between two games, and maybe make things like Dream World and events more user friendly so collecting missing pokemon is actually plausible, history suggests Gamefreak will not.

honestly I'm ok either way. That said if for some sake of major revamping (stats redistribution, movepool changes, type balancing, changes to the battle system, as well as ev/iv stuff, maybe even changes to shinies our Pokemon colors or designs) just like major stuff then I'd be pro. It be great to see a massive overhaul to a game I love and for the right combination of improvements I'd be willing to do without and have to start over and not have that backwards compatibility that has been so associated with the series.

Base stat overhauls? IV/EV system changes? Type balancing? I learned how to make data changes like that in my first year as MECHANICAL engineering student (that is to say, I was only taught the most basic sort of programming techniques). Most of the "major" changes players want can be made without removing backwards compatibility by any moderately competent programmer.

And not only that, there is precedence for almost all of the suggested changes WITHOUT disabling backwards compatibility.

Type effectiveness changes? RBY to GSC: Psychic went from unaffected by Ghost to being hit for super effective damage, poising was no longer hit by Bug for SE, and vice versa, and Magnemite gained a steel type.

IV/EV changes? While not a major overhaul, the way these stats are calculated from level to level was overhauled from PPPtHGSS to BW1/2.

Base stat changes? Not only is there the Special split between gens 1 and 2, but Deoxys changed its base stats WITHIN ITS OWN GENERATION with its form changes in RSEFRLG.

There is NO reason to remove backwards compatibility.
#55GeneralCortezPosted 4/13/2013 2:09:58 PM
Love the topic post

And on the note of hax in Pokemon...make **** easier to do. As mentioned, visible IV and EVs, make shinies SOMEWHAT less rare(still should be rare and WOMG AWESOME and takes dedication, but 1/8000 is too much), and end all the stupid once in a lifetime events for things. Its easy to miss that ****.
---
"Er kann mich am Arsche lecken!"-Goetz von Berlichingen
[Papal Crusaders]
#56MM125Posted 4/13/2013 2:53:38 PM
*reads OP*

Complaining about complaining. Classic, GameFAQs.
---
Oooh, MM, he be tryin' you, dawg. He be tryin' you. Best mind you biiiiiiiz-ness. ~KMA
*triple z snap* ~AluminumTicket