This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should stealth rock be nerfed?

#11SilverSockPosted 4/10/2013 5:13:37 PM
scraadin posted...
When there are four types that see decreased use because of a single move, there's something wrong with it.

Though I would prefer to see it more like Spikes, in that it requires three turns to get to full power.

This. Obviously you shouldn't make a team with numerous weaknesses to any type, but Stealth Rock single-handedly puts types weak to rock at a disadvantage and practically disqualifies many from any attempt at competitive play.

I think it's fair to say there's a problem when you are so grievously penalized for a single weakness. Yes, it's not your opponents fault that you brought a Pokemon 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Many of us don't use certain Pokemon entirely because of that. That should not be the case. Everything needs a weakness, but there comes a point where it's too much, and I feel SR crosses that line.
---
I summoned a baby to attract a lion. It didn't seem to work, so I tried a delicious baby.
Regular baby ATE delicious baby. Horror....horror.~Gameplayingperson
#12themagicpainmanPosted 4/10/2013 5:14:27 PM
I think the bigger problems are how many Pokemon get access to it as well as how few Pokemon can remove it by comparison.

Also, Rapid Spin isn't a very strong move...
---
"Combine Cloak and Dagger with Boots of Swiftness so CC doesn't stop you from moving faster toward defeat." - Frost_shock_FTW
#13SteveBobPosted 4/10/2013 5:16:13 PM
Agreed. Either severely weaken/bin it or make Stealth Ice/Stealth Fighting/Stealth Electric etc to balance it properly.
---
Would you kindly read this signature?...
PSN: SteveBob7 YouTube: SteveBob104
#14ThatKippPosted 4/10/2013 5:19:47 PM
I think the bigger problems are how many Pokemon get access to it as well as how few Pokemon can remove it by comparison.

Also, Rapid Spin isn't a very strong move...

This! There was a Stealth Rock TM but no Rapid Spin TM, or even move tutor. WTF?

Agreed. Either severely weaken/bin it or make Stealth Ice/Stealth Fighting/Stealth Electric etc to balance it properly.

If this happens, entry hazards should no longer stack. Otherwise Pokemon would be getting KO'd upon entering battle.
---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X board+Only member of my one-man team
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#15themagicpainmanPosted 4/10/2013 5:20:59 PM
SteveBob posted...

God no, I don't want Gen VI metagame to become nothing but entry hazards.
---
"Combine Cloak and Dagger with Boots of Swiftness so CC doesn't stop you from moving faster toward defeat." - Frost_shock_FTW
#16ThatKippPosted 4/10/2013 5:28:19 PM(edited)
SteveBob posted...

God no, I don't want Gen VI metagame to become nothing but entry hazards.

If they don't stack, the metagame would be more interesting since people would have to choose which entry hazard fits their needs. Do you want pure damage (Spikes), status conditions (Toxic Spikes), or elemental damage (various elemental entry hazards)?
---
Official Zangoose of the Pokemon X board+Only member of my one-man team
3DS FC: 3609-1237-6725
#17BlueDryBones1Posted 4/10/2013 5:38:45 PM
What they need is a better Rapid Spin with a type can be unaffected by another to Counter it as well.

Maybe even a new ability that blows them away on switching in but the pokemon that has it isnt a very good one outside of it.
---
Dry Bones+Magikruiser FTW in MKW ^-^
#18CakeOfLiesPosted 4/10/2013 5:55:08 PM
If Sturdy and Focus Sashes weren't made useless by SR, then I'd actually be fine with it being the way it is.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
Stunfisk is the epitome of monstrous majestic legendary creatures that spew fire.
#19ClassyOldHatPosted 4/10/2013 6:16:35 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
If Sturdy and Focus Sashes weren't made useless by SR, then I'd actually be fine with it being the way it is.

This, incidentally, is considered by many to be the best argument for NOT banning Stealth Rock: That Salamnce, Gyarados, and and other levitating/flying Pokemon would be OP because teams of them would wear focus sashes or something. I kinda think they're overestimating it's potential as a threat, especially if the Item Clause is as popular as Lexifox would like me to believe, but it sounds plausible enough to be given the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I support a Stealth Rock nerf, either directly, (by making it a all-type clone of Spikes, reducing the punishment for being a certain type, or making it more costly to set up in some way,) or Indirectly, through making Rapid Spin more effective or widely available, or making more moves with Rapid Spin effects.
#20scraadinPosted 4/10/2013 6:54:11 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
That said, I support a Stealth Rock nerf, either directly, (by making it a all-type clone of Spikes, reducing the punishment for being a certain type, or making it more costly to set up in some way,) or Indirectly, through making Rapid Spin more effective or widely available, or making more moves with Rapid Spin effects.

All of the above.
---
The answer to "Why not?" is always Wobbuffet.