This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

It's clear that the most popular speculated type for Sylveon is Flying.

#51Toasty_KabalPosted 4/11/2013 11:53:32 AM
SOLDIER_Bankai posted...
I see Sylveon and think sylph, then I think Silph Co. What's Silph Co. best known for in relation to a pokemon? Giving players the upgrade for evolving Porygon into Porygon2. Now, what's Porygon and Porygon2's type? That's right, Normal.

Sylveon for Normal-type. It only makes sense.

I honestly lol'd
---
PSN: TheLoneCthulhu
#52Arne83Posted 4/11/2013 11:54:23 AM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Arne83 posted...
Also, at this point... the main reason I want it to be a flying type is just to see the massive amount of backpedaling that some of you are going to do if it happens.

Haha, no. That's not how speculation works. Even if it does turn out to be Flying, because we don't actually know anything right now for sure, we'll still have been totally justified in arguing against it regardless.

Hey, I'm not saying you would do. I'm just saying that there will be people that will do it. And it will amuse me.
---
Let's just pretend this says something witty.
#53SOLDIER_BankaiPosted 4/11/2013 11:56:03 AM
Toasty_Kabal posted...
SOLDIER_Bankai posted...
I see Sylveon and think sylph, then I think Silph Co. What's Silph Co. best known for in relation to a pokemon? Giving players the upgrade for evolving Porygon into Porygon2. Now, what's Porygon and Porygon2's type? That's right, Normal.

Sylveon for Normal-type. It only makes sense.

I honestly lol'd

Success!
#54digiblasterPosted 4/11/2013 12:22:15 PM
Arne83 posted...
Arne83 posted...
Also, at this point... the main reason I want it to be a flying type is just to see the massive amount of backpedaling that some of you are going to do if it happens.

Haha, no. That's not how speculation works. Even if it does turn out to be Flying, because we don't actually know anything right now for sure, we'll still have been totally justified in arguing against it regardless.

Hey, I'm not saying you would do. I'm just saying that there will be people that will do it. And it will amuse me.

Why would anybody need to backpedal though? I've given my point of view on it being flying, other people have given other points of view (Sylvan is new to me, so it's changed my view somewhat). None of us can say with total certainty what type it is. It is entirely possible that it could be a brand new type that none of us expected.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#55Arne83Posted 4/11/2013 12:29:58 PM(edited)
digiblaster posted...
Arne83 posted...
Arne83 posted...

Why would anybody need to backpedal though? I've given my point of view on it being flying, other people have given other points of view (Sylvan is new to me, so it's changed my view somewhat). None of us can say with total certainty what type it is. It is entirely possible that it could be a brand new type that none of us expected.

Because people don't like being wrong. And if they end up being shown that they're wrong, some will try and make it seem like they weren't.

I swear... when and if Sylveon gets revealed to be a flying type, there will be at least one person making claims along the lines of.. "Hey, I never actually said that Sylveon wasn't going to be a flying type", regardless of claims they've made in the past. It's gonna happen.
---
#56Twilight_SonataPosted 4/11/2013 12:35:38 PM
Arne83 posted...
I swear... when and if Sylveon gets revealed to be a flying type, there will be at least one person making claims along the lines of.. "Hey, I never actually said that Sylveon wasn't going to be a flying type", regardless of claims they've made in the past. It's gonna happen.

What do you mean exactly? Because, for example, I don't think I've ever actually said that Sylveon definitely won't be a Flying type. I've certainly said that I don't think it will be a Flying type and that I think the justifications for particularly supposing that it will be a Flying type are deeply flawed, but that's not exactly the same thing. I think that very few people have said anything to the effect of "Sylveon will be ___". We're pretty much arguing over what we think is actually most likely or what evidence and reasoning are good or bad.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#57Arne83Posted 4/11/2013 12:46:24 PM
Arne83 posted...

What do you mean exactly? Because, for example, I don't think I've ever actually said that Sylveon definitely won't be a Flying type. I've certainly said that I don't think it will be a Flying type and that I think the justifications for particularly supposing that it will be a Flying type are deeply flawed, but that's not exactly the same thing. I think that very few people have said anything to the effect of "Sylveon will be ___". We're pretty much arguing over what we think is actually most likely or what evidence and reasoning are good or bad.

What I mean is that there's going to be a person that will say something like what I said before... but only about a week ago probably said something like "There is no way Sylveon is going to be a flying type".

And I like I mentioned before... I'm not saying you'll do it. But someone will.
---
#58divinity_7Posted 4/11/2013 12:59:42 PM
I agree with the TC that Sylveon is, at this point, most probably flying type, with normal or a new "fairy/magical/whatever"-type as the next most probable option. Why, you ask? Take a look at its names (which are official btw).

Ninfia (=nymphia, remember, Japanese spell by however English words sound, rather than how they are spelled) and Nymphali (French) suggest its name (and by extension, its type) is related to a nymph.

Feelinara (German) is from the German word Fee, which is in turn the German word for Fairy.

Sylveon, then, is most likely from Sylph. Why is it not spelled Sylpheon then? Well, I suppose that has to do with consonant voicing when the f is placed between multiple syllables (look it up).

Does this set Sylveon's type in stone? No of course not. But by its name, we can assume its type will be at least related to fairies. Wether you relate that to flying, normal or another type alltogether, is the discussion we should be having in this topic.
---
Black 2 FC: 4084-5133-3462 (Mei)
Playing: MK7, Black2, Halo4.
#59FurryyifferPosted 4/11/2013 1:51:36 PM
Brandon00151 posted...
I don't get how anyone could NOT think its Flying. Its the lightest Eevee to date. It has ribbons that are flowing in the wind.

How does being light make it a flying type, zam? And Gardevoirs dress flows in the wind. Doesnt make it a flying type.
---
Ryuho, mate to Mizuki ^-^
Forever in my heart.
#60Twilight_SonataPosted 4/11/2013 8:53:57 PM
divinity_7 posted...
Sylveon, then, is most likely from Sylph. Why is it not spelled Sylpheon then? Well, I suppose that has to do with consonant voicing when the f is placed between multiple syllables (look it up).

Getting beyond the fact that I'm pretty sure nobody would have had trouble pronouncing Sylpheon, why is Sylveon "most likely" derived from Sylph rather than another word that doesn't need to be corrupted to begin with? It's not like "Sylph" is more in theme with Nymphs and Faeries than "Sylvan" is.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe