This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rare candies

#199thkingheartPosted 4/14/2013 8:38:42 AM
is it true that it makes your pokemon weakier than what u could get by training them
---
psn nickteenlaser Official Jiangwei of Dynasty warriors 8 Board 3ds name is Major swag friend code is 494054580926 pm me yours team reds leader father dragonite
#2lanelazerbeamPosted 4/14/2013 8:40:48 AM
if you use rare candies your pokemon just don't get EVs, that's why people say that
---
You want to know what his name is? I don't know. There was a 0% chance of me knowing what his name was.
^(PM me if you understand the joke)^
#3Classic_SonicPosted 4/14/2013 8:41:08 AM
no if you ev train them you could rare candy up to level 100 if you want
#4TIGERJACKS0N-Posted 4/14/2013 8:41:51 AM
Yes .no EV's are gained. Ev's as in EFFORT values. You are not putting in effort when using rare candies.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZKnlH.jpg -my girlfriend <3
http://i.imgur.com/JN9dp.jpg -I love her so much ^_^
#5jayman7Posted 4/14/2013 9:21:41 AM(edited)
*sigh* Stop spreading misinformation, guys. (Or if you actually believe what you're saying, Tigerjackson, read on.)

Rare Candies do not make your Pokemon weaker. They only make your Pokemon stronger in the short term, and no different in the end.

Yes, you don't get EVs, but it's not like Rare Candies do anything to prevent you from getting EVs in the future.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#6EstheimasterPosted 4/14/2013 9:29:20 AM
jayman7 posted...
*sigh* Stop spreading misinformation, guys. (Or if you actually believe what you're saying, Tigerjackson, read on.)

Rare Candies do not make your Pokemon weaker. They only make your Pokemon stronger in the short term, and no different in the end.

Yes, you don't get EVs, but it's not like Rare Candies do anything to prevent you from getting EVs in the future.

For every 4 EVs of a stat you get, your Pokémon gets +1 of that stat (by the time they reach Lv. 100). So even if you don't EV train your, say, Nidoking, using only Rare Candies to get him to Lv. 50 will result in normal stats, but if you battle wild Pokémon, he'll gain random EVs and have stat boosts because of it.

Faking stats, a Lv 50 Pokémon may look like this when Lv'd up by Rare Candy
HP: 150
Atk: 111
Def: 90
SpA: 60
SpD: 75
Spe: 102

With random EVs from training them, they may look like this.
HP: 156
Atk: 119
Def: 92
SpA: 70
SpD: 79
Spe: 111

So the difference can be slight, but it can be important. A properly EV trained Pokémon may look like this (geared towards Atk and Speed), which could make all of the difference.
HP: 151
Atk: 133
Def: 90
SpA: 60
SpD: 75
Spe: 124
---
Official Bulbasaur of the Pokemon X boards.
#7jayman7Posted 4/14/2013 9:39:28 AM
Estheimaster posted...
jayman7 posted...

Stuff about EVs, as though I'm not the very guy who wrote the EV sticky on the Black 2 board.

All of this is true.

None of this contradicts a word I said.

You can always get more EVs later. Using a Rare Candy at low levels is inefficient (Rare Candies at higher levels = more EXP), but does not stop you from getting any EVs and has no long-term impact on your stats.

You use a Rare Candy on your level 20 Pokemon? Its stats are now higher than they would have been if you didn't use that Rare Candy because its level is 21. If this means that you don't fight a few battles you otherwise would have, itself something we never established, then those are some EVs lost... temporarily. If you fight the exact same battles? The Rare Candied Pokemon will always have stats at least as high as the non-Rare Candied Pokemon, if not higher, because it's a higher level.

It stuns me how many people who otherwise seem to understand EVs perfectly bungle this. Rare Candies = safe, always. The one exception would be in the third or fourth gens when your Pokemon is at level 99 but has not finished EV training (you can't properly EV train at level 100 in the third and fourth gens), but that's very specific and non-applicable to the fifth gen (or the first two, for that matter.)
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere