This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How would you feel about an anime-style E4?

#11P0k3m0nWaRR10R8(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 12:55:18 PM
pokemonzero posted...
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
CharizardFire posted...
That wouldn't technically be an E4 challenge.

By "progress", I meant that after winning the tourney you could challenge the E4

You mean like in B2 & W2 the Driftveil Challange you must beat to continue but after the 8th Gym and before the E4?

Essentially
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam
#12RoleOfGSHCPosted 4/14/2013 12:56:56 PM
I think they're already doing that in a sort with the Pokemon World Championship (or whatever it was called - the tournament place in BW2). It's perhaps not exactly the same as in the anime, but it does feel a bit more like it.

I'd like it if they didn't just make it an extra area. I mean, yeah, you had to go there and all, but... I never wound up going back. If these things were paced like gym battles, though - dotted across the region and scaled to the level of the area - then it'd go a long way to feeling more like the world of the anime and manga.

Of course, that's not the only thing I'd like to see.

Unorthodox use of moves is something I've been wanting for a loooooong time. The ability for trainers in the anime and manga to use moves in a creative way is something I wish we could do. It's just... well, that would probably require one hell of an overhaul of the gameplay. I don't think it'd work for the core games much at all as a result. ^-^;
---
Empress of the Jovian Empire
Mechanical Advisor for Golden Sun: Adept's Refuge
#13P0k3m0nWaRR10R8(Topic Creator)Posted 4/14/2013 12:59:46 PM
RoleOfGSHC posted...
I think they're already doing that in a sort with the Pokemon World Championship (or whatever it was called - the tournament place in BW2). It's perhaps not exactly the same as in the anime, but it does feel a bit more like it.

I'd like it if they didn't just make it an extra area. I mean, yeah, you had to go there and all, but... I never wound up going back. If these things were paced like gym battles, though - dotted across the region and scaled to the level of the area - then it'd go a long way to feeling more like the world of the anime and manga.

Of course, that's not the only thing I'd like to see.

Unorthodox use of moves is something I've been wanting for a loooooong time. The ability for trainers in the anime and manga to use moves in a creative way is something I wish we could do. It's just... well, that would probably require one hell of an overhaul of the gameplay. I don't think it'd work for the core games much at all as a result. ^-^;

When PWT was first announced, I had originally thought it was meant to be something like the anime-style E4, where after the 8th gym you'd play in the World tournament, and then after the main story was finished, gym leaders and champions from all regions would come join in.
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam
#14SlimeStackPosted 4/14/2013 1:00:54 PM
I would actually like having a tournament be a prerequisite for the E4. Pokémon battling is a competitive sport, but we didn't get a single genuine tournament until Black 2 and White 2, which is absurd.
---
Moo
#15RoleOfGSHCPosted 4/14/2013 1:07:18 PM
The anime had all sorts of tournaments, though - not just at the end.

That's actually been one of my biggest compaints about the games, really - that all these special dealies are relegated to a single area. Like triple battles? They're rare outside of one area. Like tournaments? Only in one area. The pokeathlon was fun? Well, you only do it in one place.

It was something that Contests - the original ones - got right. As you progressed through the game, they were like the gyms. They were scaled in difficulty for the area you were in. I mean, sure, not everyone was into them, and the game forced you to do the gyms anyways...

Actually, come to think of it...

What if I don't wanna do the gyms? There should be multiple avenues of progression. If I'm a Contest Coordinator, I should be travelling from contest to contest. I can still partake in the story, but my route and motivations may be different. If I'm a PokeAthelete, then I would go from stadium to stadium, maybe even with a team.

Imagine if there were gyms not just for single battles, but for team battles too? If you joined up with a trainer team and went across the region competing - you and your two NPC allies. Imagine the first gym in BW1 - you'd face all three of them at once in a triple battle.

I actually think we should move away from badges as progression - they should simply be one of many progression paths, and as you progress through the game, you'd essentially create your own trainer class based on the path you take. You'd still have to battle and train, but what for and with what goals would be totally different based on which path you wanted to go.
---
Empress of the Jovian Empire
Mechanical Advisor for Golden Sun: Adept's Refuge
#16NecroStreak128Posted 4/14/2013 1:13:58 PM
Maybe.