This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

First time playing since RB ... HGSS sucks!

#1wolf riderPosted 4/16/2013 7:27:40 AM
After about 45 hours into TurdTin, I've come to the realisation how bad the game is designed.

No, I'm not talking about the battle mechanics. I'm talking about EVERYTHING ELSE.

1. The Pokemon
I was looking forward to having 100 new pokes to catch. Yet the vast majority of the pokes I come across are just the Kanto ones. And not even the cool ones! Every body of water is full of magikarps, goldeens or tentacruels. Every cave is full of zubats and geodudes. All the new ones have some stupidly low encounter rates that I wouldn't even know existed if not for Bulbapedia. WHY WOULD GAME FREAK DO THIS!?

2. Pain in the ass requirements to get stuff
I have to wait until a specific day before I can buy a leaf stone!? Then I have to play the Pokethlon games 5-6 times just to get enough Game Points to afford it? I have to make 10,000GP at Voltorb Flip just to get ice beam!? I can't even buy HP replenishing berries. Lame. I also have to wait for Saturdays to get a Scyther in the bug-catching contest and Fridays to catch a Lapras?

3. Status attacks
The sheer amount of pokes spamming attacks that cause confusion, sleep, poison, paralysis, etc. is just ridiculous. Not to mention the double teaming/minimising/protecting crap that just drag out the battle. Look, I appreciate the depth added by these support moves, but it's just no fun to play when every wild poke and every second trainer spams them. It's like the pokes and trainers don't even want to win to match; they just want to troll me with these status moves.

4. No place to train.
I'm stuck at Lance atm with lvl 40-45 pokes, and there's no place I can actually train to raise their levels. All the trainers were piss weak to begin with. I have to look up serebii to see who I can call for a rematch, and even then I'll still be lucky to get half a level. I can only replay the E4 over and over and over again.

5. HMs
Does this even need explaining? Three water HMs? Are they serious? What's next? Dog paddling? White water rafting? Oh, but Surf is a good move you say? Not if your water poke is Gyarados! Why can't they just have a flashlight key item to illuminate caves? Oh, and I just love finding out I need a rock smash or strength halfway through a dungeon. /SMH. And why on earth does it still take a dozen button presses to withdraw and deposit pokemon from the PC?

Look, I know RB was way unbalanced, but everything else about the game was well designed and fun. HGSS seems to be the exact opposite.

Are DPP/BW/BW2 at least better?
---
When the Tomb Raider reboot was released, the entire gaming community suddenly decided having a well-written MC was the only important aspect in a video game.
#2ColtCababaPosted 4/16/2013 7:30:09 AM
Butthurtedness all over this topic.
---
Official Crawdaunt of the Pokemon XY Boards and Team Miror Infinity
"It's Faaan-daaan-gooo! Breathe the A's in." -Fandango
#3SlimeStackPosted 4/16/2013 7:31:21 AM
Half of those problems are unique to GSC and got carried over to HGSS.

BW/B2W2 alleviated the HM issue tons, you're rarely forced to use them.

As for status attacks...without them the game is literally just about OHKOing the enemy. :L
---
Moo
#4Zarren364Posted 4/16/2013 7:31:53 AM
ColtCababa posted...

Pretty much this.
---
I am the Anti-troll. Your poll needs a bacon option.
GLAD GANG l SSS l No.XII l OPBC-Wargle I R - Zarren
#5EnferolunosPosted 4/16/2013 7:33:04 AM
wolf rider posted...
After about 45 hours into TurdTin, I've come to the realisation how bad the game is designed.

No, I'm not talking about the battle mechanics. I'm talking about EVERYTHING ELSE.

1. The Pokemon
I was looking forward to having 100 new pokes to catch. Yet the vast majority of the pokes I come across are just the Kanto ones. And not even the cool ones! Every body of water is full of magikarps, goldeens or tentacruels. Every cave is full of zubats and geodudes. All the new ones have some stupidly low encounter rates that I wouldn't even know existed if not for Bulbapedia. WHY WOULD GAME FREAK DO THIS!?

It's a remake of gen II. Of course it's going to have mostly gen I and gen II pokemon.

2. Pain in the ass requirements to get stuff
I have to wait until a specific day before I can buy a leaf stone!? Then I have to play the Pokethlon games 5-6 times just to get enough Game Points to afford it? I have to make 10,000GP at Voltorb Flip just to get ice beam!? I can't even buy HP replenishing berries. Lame. I also have to wait for Saturdays to get a Scyther in the bug-catching contest and Fridays to catch a Lapras?

3. Status attacks
The sheer amount of pokes spamming attacks that cause confusion, sleep, poison, paralysis, etc. is just ridiculous. Not to mention the double teaming/minimising/protecting crap that just drag out the battle. Look, I appreciate the depth added by these support moves, but it's just no fun to play when every wild poke and every second trainer spams them. It's like the pokes and trainers don't even want to win to match; they just want to troll me with these status moves.

Waah, it's too hard and I'm impatient

4. No place to train.
I'm stuck at Lance atm with lvl 40-45 pokes, and there's no place I can actually train to raise their levels. All the trainers were piss weak to begin with. I have to look up serebii to see who I can call for a rematch, and even then I'll still be lucky to get half a level. I can only replay the E4 over and over and over again.

This is true

5. HMs
Does this even need explaining? Three water HMs? Are they serious? What's next? Dog paddling? White water rafting? Oh, but Surf is a good move you say? Not if your water poke is Gyarados! Why can't they just have a flashlight key item to illuminate caves? Oh, and I just love finding out I need a rock smash or strength halfway through a dungeon. /SMH. And why on earth does it still take a dozen button presses to withdraw and deposit pokemon from the PC?

What does that line even mean?

Look, I know RB was way unbalanced, but everything else about the game was well designed and fun. HGSS seems to be the exact opposite.

Pokemon's not for you. Hand in your nostalgia glasses and walk away.
---
Currently awaiting: Pikmin 3, Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, XY, X, WW HD, LoZ U, LR:FFXIII, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#6LexifoxPosted 4/16/2013 7:34:15 AM
wolf rider posted...

D/P/P are better, but run on a slower engine (D/P in particular, but Platinum is sluggish).

B/W are MUCH faster, HMs are entirely optional except for one Cut tree, and you can't actually find any old Pokemon until you beat the game. Leveling is also easier because there's an uncommon Pokemon that exists purely for grinding, it seems. The only real issue is one Pokemon that's fairly uncommon, but likes to spam Detect and Hypnosis.

B/W2 are basically in the same boat, but they're sequels. They also have a worse story but much better game content, and they have a large number of older Pokemon added. As a dubious bonus, there's a trainer class that challenges you to a rematch every time you leave and enter their route.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#7patsfan2312Posted 4/16/2013 7:34:50 AM
Zarren364 posted...
ColtCababa posted...

Pretty much this.

Agreed
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkyuXdfhlA
#8ryudin89Posted 4/16/2013 7:37:41 AM
4. No place to train.

This is the only thing that is actually a problem. Johto ****ing sucks when it comes to any training at all.
---
GameFAQS=why games should be played and people should be avoided.-selfdeztruction
http://fav.me/d3e91yr
#9DreamsaberPosted 4/16/2013 7:41:38 AM
wolf rider posted...
Complaining about side-quests.
---
You opened a debate, and I'll be damned if you're not going to finish it. ~smashbrother3
#10wolf rider(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2013 7:43:58 AM
Dreamsaber posted...
wolf rider posted...
Complaining about side-quests.

Yeah, if I have to plan my week just to do them.
---
When the Tomb Raider reboot was released, the entire gaming community suddenly decided having a well-written MC was the only important aspect in a video game.